Official Review: Enemy Immortal by Jim Meeks-Johnson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Official Review: Enemy Immortal by Jim Meeks-Johnson

Post by NetMassimo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Enemy Immortal" by Jim Meeks-Johnson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Enemy Immortal by Jim Meeks-Johnson is a space opera set at the beginning of the 23rd century. Humanity might join a federation that includes a lot of species called the Entanglement, but a lot of people are against it because that would mean join a caste to supply a specific service. Human skills will be assessed in an inter-species mission that aims to solve the mystery of an alien colony that simply vanished. The Immortal Ascendancy, another alien power, has a peace treaty with the Entanglement, but the ambitious Lord Umlac is planning an invasion that puts the Earth in danger too. That's just the first complication for Lieutenant Jade Mahelona of Solar Defense Force and the other humans who are representing humanity in the mission.

Space opera is one of the most classic science fiction subgenres. It had a peak during the 1930s and 1940s, during the pulp magazine era with the publication of a lot of adventurous stories. In recent years, space opera is seeing a new period of glory with works that are much more than simple adventures of space exploration and wars against aliens. In modern space opera, not all aliens are evil and character development is important.

Jim Meeks-Johnson shows that he is indeed a writer of modern space opera with this novel where world-building is crucial in the story's development. The future he described is full of life with very diverse aliens species in terms of physical appearance and psychology. Communications can be difficult between different species, especially for humans, who are just getting to know the many aliens who are part of the Entanglement. Meetings with representatives of different species are used by the author to give details about them without slowing down the pace.

The protagonists are mostly humans, and that gives us the idea of their difficulties in dealing with aliens. Some aliens are among the important characters, including Lord Umlac, the main villain, and that gives us a better idea of their civilizations and their psychology. Jim Meeks-Johnson skillfully uses a multiple point of view to offer a great development of several characters and follow different events that are important for the story. That was probably the part that impressed me the most because not many writers can properly develop non-humanoid characters.

The humans part of the inter-species mission end up involved in events much bigger than anybody anticipated for a story full of action and twists. I found the plot engaging and well-thought because Jim Meeks-Johnson made a great use of the aliens. The various alien cultures and technologies were used very well to develop the story with consequences on the events.

Enemy Immortal shows a universe full of life with interesting human and alien characters. The novel contains no profanities and there are only very mild sexual innuendos between two human characters, so anybody can read it. The editing is good, with only a few little errors, none distracting. For the amazing quality of the world-building, the engaging story, and the interesting characters, my rating is 4 out of 4 stars. The story is perfectly self-contained, but I hope Jim Meeks-Johnson will write a sequel because his fictional universe is very rich and offers room for many more fantastic stories. I recommend this novel to anybody looking for a great science fiction story.

Enemy Immortal
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ciao :)
Massimo
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

While this isn't my favorite genre, your review was well-written and sci-fi fans will be prime candidates for this book. Thanks for the wonderful review!
Juice_Box27
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Juice_Box27 »

Sci-fi is my favorite genre of book and even movies, this was a excellent pick of a sci-fi book and it was well written
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 29 Jan 2020, 13:56 While this isn't my favorite genre, your review was well-written and sci-fi fans will be prime candidates for this book. Thanks for the wonderful review!
Sci-fi fans are indeed the novel's prime target. However, I think it's suitable for people approaching this genre as well.

Thank you for your appreciation. :)
Massimo
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Juice_Box27 wrote: 29 Jan 2020, 16:16 Sci-fi is my favorite genre of book and even movies, this was a excellent pick of a sci-fi book and it was well written
I'm sure you'll like this novel!
Massimo
Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Rayasaurus »

It's good that the author uses multiple points of view to round out the narrative; I'd imagine that would be very important in such an intricate plot as this one. Thank you for the review!
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Rayasaurus wrote: 30 Jan 2020, 15:10 It's good that the author uses multiple points of view to round out the narrative; I'd imagine that would be very important in such an intricate plot as this one. Thank you for the review!
Yes, it's an important element because of the complex plot and because of the many aliens who are important in the novel.

Massimo
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

I'm not really into science fiction as a genre, but your review was very interesting! I especially liked the short background you wrote about space opera - you sound like an aficionado and someone who would have a lot of valuable insight into the genre. Thanks for a great review!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

espo wrote: 31 Jan 2020, 08:32 I'm not really into science fiction as a genre, but your review was very interesting! I especially liked the short background you wrote about space opera - you sound like an aficionado and someone who would have a lot of valuable insight into the genre. Thanks for a great review!
Well, after reading a couple of thousands science fiction novels I can say I have a certain expertise in the genre. :mrgreen:

Massimo
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

It's interesting to see this genre making a comeback. It seems that alien are now our friends! I enjoyed your logical analysis of the book. Thanks!
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

kdstrack wrote: 31 Jan 2020, 12:00 It's interesting to see this genre making a comeback. It seems that alien are now our friends! I enjoyed your logical analysis of the book. Thanks!
At least some aliens are our friends, with nuances in their positions and attitudes.

Massimo
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

A story about humans trying to deal with aliens. It sounds action-packed. I like action-packed novels. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Julius_ wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 11:50 A story about humans trying to deal with aliens. It sounds action-packed. I like action-packed novels. Thanks for the review.
Indeed there's a lot of action, and the human characters have to adapt to brand new situations. Thank your for your comment.
Massimo
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

The modern space opera with very diverse aliens species may be very interesting. Thank you for great review.
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

SunVixen wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 08:10 The modern space opera with very diverse aliens species may be very interesting. Thank you for great review.
I think it is very interesting because it offers a rich variety of beings who are diverse both physically and mentally, offering fresh points of view.

Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”