Official Review: Little Tree's Big Dream by MJ Albert

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Official Review: Little Tree's Big Dream by MJ Albert

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Little Tree's Big Dream" by MJ Albert.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

M.J. Albert is one of many authors who has been inspired by Hans Christian Andersen's works. Although it's never explicitly stated by Albert, his children's book Little Tree's Big Dream draws heavily from Andersen's fairy tale "The Spruce Tree." As with most modern retellings of fairy tales found in children's books and movies, the grim ending of the original story has been replaced with a more positive one. Rather than leaving the reader filled with despair, like Andersen's tale does, Albert wishes to leave his readers hoping that their dreams will come true.

A winsome bird named Finch visits Little Tree, a Douglas fir, and warns him that soon the humans will come to cut down trees. Bewildered that anyone would want to cut down trees and take them from their home, Little Tree presses Finch for more information. He's mystified when Finch tells him that humans turn them into Christmas trees. Little Tree instantly decides that he wants nothing more in the world than to be taken by humans and dressed up in pretty lights and sparkly things. Finch, along with other nearby trees, try to discourage Little Tree's dream, as they know what happens to them after Christmas is over. Regardless, he holds onto his dream, urging himself to grow taller so that the humans will choose him. Several winters pass, and while he's frustrated, he's filled with hope that his day will come. Will Little Tree's dream come true? Will he finally become a Christmas tree? Will it be worth it if he does?

This book is best suited for children between the ages of 5 and 9. Younger readers might not have the focus required to get through the story; the book has 12 pages of text, with several paragraphs on each. However, each page of text is accompanied by a charming full-page illustration, which children of any age ought to enjoy. They're detailed without being overwhelming and are brightly colored. The language is simplistic and written in a similar style as Andersen's tale. The third-person omniscient perspective also gives it a fairy tale vibe.

I would have liked to see some more variation in dialogue; each character spoke in the exact same way. While Little Tree might be the protagonist, the world-wise Finch was the most memorable and dynamic character. I was always glad to have him flit his way back into the story. The thing I liked least was that the author never mentioned anywhere that "The Spruce Tree" was the inspiration for the story. In my opinion, the similarities between the two are far too great for it to be a coincidence.

However, it's clearly not a case of plagiarism since Andersen's works are in the public domain, which is why I'm not letting this stop me from giving Little Tree's Big Dream 4 out of 4 stars. The book is well-edited; I only found one minor error, which was a case of inconsistent capitalization.

Little Tree's Big Dream
View: on Bookshelves
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This book has such a delightful premise; I love Little Tree's enthusiasm! Thanks for the lovely review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Everyone loves happy endings! The beautiful illustrations are an added bonus. This sounds like a charming book. Thanks.
Brooklyn312
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Brooklyn312 »

This is a great book, the colors and artistic features are a great plus.
Deprise Evans
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Currently Reading: Crazy Love
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deprise-evans.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by Deprise Evans »

This sounds like the sweetest book! Ill have to read it to my new baby nephew when he's older, especially during Christmas! Thank you for a great review!
Penile Kumalo

Post by Penile Kumalo »

Thank you for the review this looks like a book I would read to my future kids!
Dark Magician Girl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Dark Magician Girl »

This book is so adorable! I'll be sure to give this to my baby niece on her birthday!
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

It's nice that the author decided to give the story a more positive ending, though I can't imagine how being cut down can br spun in that direction. Still, it seems like a delightful little Christmas read.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by readerrihana »

Sounds like a sweet little book, and as nice review thanks so much
JoyALB
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyalb.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by JoyALB »

It sounds like an interesting read for kids, though I have to admit the idea of a tree being excited about being chopped off is a bit weird for me. Anyway, I'm sure I will understand better once I read it. Thanks you for the review!
Nalukwi

Post by Nalukwi »

I love this book and I wish to read more about it ,it gives hope for a better future
Amy747
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy747.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Amy747 »

I love the way little tree never loses sight of his dream, even though everyone tries to discourage him.
Adaora 22

Post by Adaora 22 »

This is a book of faith little tree was strong in what he hope for and he never gave up.
diren2713

Post by diren2713 »

This sounds like a book many kids would enjoy....delightful....has a nice warm story would definetly recommend this books to kids
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

This sounds like a very cute story that little kids will love. Thank you for your honest review.

Return to “Children's Books”