Review by esp1975 -- Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Sno...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Review by esp1975 -- Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Sno...

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I have read a number of reviews of other books in R.F. Kristi’s Inca Cat Detective series, and they all seemed really interesting. So I was excited to finally have the time and opportunity to pick one up. Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat did not disappoint.

In Serendipity Mystery, Inca the Siberian cat and her family are vacationing in Sri Lanka. While they are there, a sword is stolen from a local museum. Their friend Solo, a detective in London, is hired by the museum to come find the sword. He brings his dog, Terrance, with him. Inca, being a snoopy cat, decides that she is on the case as well. With the help of Terrance, her cat siblings, and new friends they meet in Sri Lanka, she solves the case.

The book is recommended for kids seven to ten years of age, which is probably about right if they are reading it on their own. It is definitely a beginner-level chapter book. However, the story is appropriate for younger kids if a parent or older sibling were reading it to them.

Inca’s point-of-view is wonderful. She is a character that kids will relate to. Her sense of curiosity and her naturally friendly nature mean that she is always meeting new friends wherever she goes. In Serendipity Mystery, those friends include a turtle, two elephants, and a family of leopards.

Children will be delighted by the description of the Sri Lankan beach. They will be thrilled by Inca’s accidental and somewhat dangerous journey into the jungle alone. And they will see the importance of teamwork in solving problems. But most of all, they will see the beauty of friendship and chosen family, which was my favorite part of the book.

If I have any critique of the book it is that while there are wonderful descriptions of the natural beauty of Sri Lanka, there is very little description of the culture. The humans in the book go visit ruins, but because the animals do not go with them, there is no discussion of why those ruins are a UNESCO World Heritage site, just that they are. Providing a little bit more of the history and culture of the country they are in, such as why the missing sword is so important, would add to the book and teach kids about a culture they may not be familiar with.

I give R.F. Kristi’s Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat three out of four stars. I would give it 3.5 stars if I could. The lack of information about the culture and history of Sri Lanka is the reason for the deduction. Otherwise, I highly recommend this book for kids who like animals and have a sense of adventure. In fact, I will be recommending it to friends whose kids are in the targeted age group. It would also be a great book to read with kids before going on a vacation to a new place.

Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

I read this one too! Expanding more on the cultural background and significance of the sites and sword are great suggestions, and I also loved all the fun new animal friends met along the way!
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

@AvidBibliophile - I have been impressed with what I've seen from this series as a whole, and I know kids love talking animals. I just want that little bit more to take it to the next level.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I think your idea of reading this to children before going on a trip would be a fun way to set the stage for the trip. This does sound like an interesting book for kids, whether it is read to them or they read it themselves. Thanks for a great review!
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

I read a few reviews of this series, and I love how the book fosters a sense of curiosity, openness, and discovery in its young readers! Thank you for your insightful review.
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

A book with several exciting moments for kids such as the beach descriptions as well as the importance of teamwork. I enjoyed reading your review. Thanks for it.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

Even if the cultural history is a bit hard for the young reader to understand, it would be a nice addition to the back to the book. I enjoy when children’s books have follow-up information/little research pages following the story. Still, I keep seeing great things about these books and they seem like a wonderful set of adventures for the target audience. Great review!
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Thanks your your nice review which sheds light on this book about detective cat and its team composed of doggies and other pets. I think children will love this one.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
allbooked+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Post by allbooked+ »

Sounds like a fun book. It is really nice that the author has made an engaging series - young readers need a variety of good series to get lost in!
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

I've read a lot of reviews of this series as well. You bring up some very valid points, especially the fact that there's no explanation of the heritage sites. But this still seems like a good book for kids. Thanks for the great review as always!
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

esp1975 wrote: 29 Jan 2020, 13:41 [Following is a volunteer review of "Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I have read a number of reviews of other books in R.F. Kristi’s Inca Cat Detective series, and they all seemed really interesting. So I was excited to finally have the time and opportunity to pick one up. Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat did not disappoint.

In Serendipity Mystery, Inca the Siberian cat and her family are vacationing in Sri Lanka. While they are there, a sword is stolen from a local museum. Their friend Solo, a detective in London, is hired by the museum to come find the sword. He brings his dog, Terrance, with him. Inca, being a snoopy cat, decides that she is on the case as well. With the help of Terrance, her cat siblings, and new friends they meet in Sri Lanka, she solves the case.

The book is recommended for kids seven to ten years of age, which is probably about right if they are reading it on their own. It is definitely a beginner-level chapter book. However, the story is appropriate for younger kids if a parent or older sibling were reading it to them.

Inca’s point-of-view is wonderful. She is a character that kids will relate to. Her sense of curiosity and her naturally friendly nature mean that she is always meeting new friends wherever she goes. In Serendipity Mystery, those friends include a turtle, two elephants, and a family of leopards.

Children will be delighted by the description of the Sri Lankan beach. They will be thrilled by Inca’s accidental and somewhat dangerous journey into the jungle alone. And they will see the importance of teamwork in solving problems. But most of all, they will see the beauty of friendship and chosen family, which was my favorite part of the book.

If I have any critique of the book it is that while there are wonderful descriptions of the natural beauty of Sri Lanka, there is very little description of the culture. The humans in the book go visit ruins, but because the animals do not go with them, there is no discussion of why those ruins are a UNESCO World Heritage site, just that they are. Providing a little bit more of the history and culture of the country they are in, such as why the missing sword is so important, would add to the book and teach kids about a culture they may not be familiar with.

I give R.F. Kristi’s Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat three out of four stars. I would give it 3.5 stars if I could. The lack of information about the culture and history of Sri Lanka is the reason for the deduction. Otherwise, I highly recommend this book for kids who like animals and have a sense of adventure. In fact, I will be recommending it to friends whose kids are in the targeted age group. It would also be a great book to read with kids before going on a vacation to a new place.

Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat is such an excellent book for kids. I reviewed it as well and gave it a perfect score (if my memory serves me right). Don't you think Fromage is an adorable cat, my friend? :mrgreen2:
Great review, as always.
esp1975
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Amy747
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy747.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Amy747 »

I like the cats name and the fact that this story has my favourite animals in it. Elephants!
bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewmi1111.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by bookreviewmi1111 »

I rated this book 4/4, but I see why you do not rate the same. Thanks for the interesting review!
Adelle v
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adelle-v.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Adelle v »

Inca sure sounds like a snoopy cat that get things done. Thanks for a informative review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”