Review by adamgreenrock -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
adamgreenrock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamgreenrock.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Review by adamgreenrock -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by adamgreenrock »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As a reader, I never really have any interest in reading non-fiction books. It’s not that I hate the genre but more so feeling that I can’t fully give my full thoughts on them accurately because of how they’re mostly focused on real-life events of the author’s life or other real-life events that happened. But Burn Zones, written by Jorge P. Newbery, made me interested in the author’s life story for the first time in a long while.

It is a book about his life during his time from childhood to adult life. From the time where he dropped out of high school to go venture to become a successful entrepreneur, to the fall of his career by a sudden natural disaster on Christmas Eve, which ruined him financially and his reputation along with it. This is his life story and what he had learned from it.

When I first read this book, I was immediately interested in it because of how I relate to the author’s take on his struggles called the ‘Burn Zones’. Two simple words yet it was enough for me to saw through it to the end. The author’s story was filled with joy, sorrow, grief, and hope. The pictures he put on the book to show the readers a glimpse of his life and how he felt during those times were sweet and comforting. Not to mention the articles he put in to give further context to the times he got publicly shammed was nice for the readers to know what he thought about them.

Another thing I like about this book is the author’s view on life was really motivational, open-minded and not overly bias. I don’t normally read autobiographies but I love how he kept the flow of his story to be paced well and not shoved in his political opinions or life problems too hard that it might make some readers uncomfortable. He gave his thoughts on it so that the readers can be understanding and hope that those who read his story would be more prepared and know the challenges (or in this case the burn zones) up ahead. Also, this book is professionally edited. I have found only 2 grammar errors when reading it.

Overall, I love this book. I can’t find anything I don’t like about it since non-fiction books are more about the author’s or the real-life person’s point of view. Since this book has a really solid life story about Jorge’s life and how I love the moral of the story, not to mention how I only found 2 errors. I’ll give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I’d recommend this book to adults who are struggling with their burn zones. This book does have a controversial topic about racism but it’s important to his story and the author doesn’t make any bias comment about it.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems an interesting real story about facing adversities and finding ways and the strength to overcome them. Thank you for your review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Oh dear, he lost everything on christmas eve? Seems a very relevant book for these times seeing how prevalent depression has become. At least your going out of genre was rewarding. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Rayasaurus »

I've read Newbery's other book, and since then I've been very interested in his life story. It sounds terrible that he lost everything on Christmas Eve of all days. Thank you for the review!
AvocaDebo621
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

The book is a simple narrative of the author’s life and his experience, rather than a preachy “how-to guide” to instant success. Loved reading it. I really enjoyed your review. 🙂

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”