Review by Deprise Evans -- Tears and Trombones

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Deprise Evans
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Currently Reading: Crazy Love
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deprise-evans.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6456

Review by Deprise Evans -- Tears and Trombones

Post by Deprise Evans »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Tears and Trombones" by Nanci Lee Woody.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tears and Trombones by Nanci Lee Woody focuses its plot on the story and journey of Joey Woodman, a Depression-era boy with a dream of becoming a great Classical musician. However, his dream does not come without its obstacles. His father, Vernon, is an abusive alcaholic who in turn makes Joey's home life a nightmare. His mother Ellie on the other hand, does all she can to lovingly support Joey and his dream of playing the Trombone as a classical musician while simultaneously soothing and loving her husband in spite of his shortcomings and infidelities. Joey's brother John idolizes their father and his way of life, therefore doing all he can along with Vernon to taunt Joey for his dream. Ultimately, Vernon does everything he can possibly do to keep Joey from his greatest love and passion in his life: Music.

As I was reading the book, I found it painful to come to terms with the passages detailing the instances of abuse found within the home. In this case, I can commend the author for handling the sensitively and also realistically as well. Thanks to the encouragement and lessons from his many music teachers, Joey thrives and grows in his musical skillset, so much so that he becomes a top musician within the schools he attends. Meanwhile, however, his father is determined to keep Joey occupied with hard chores and jobs in order to keep him from his music and growing in his passion. His mother however does all she can financially and academically for Joey so that he has all he needs for success. This aspect of the book only serves to highlight the recurrent theme of strength and resilience through seemingly impossible odds.

Another theme of the book that I enjoyed was the authors realistic handing of the coming of age and development that Joey undergoes throughout his life. In this instance the book was wonderfully written to showcase his childhood, pre-teen, teenage and adult life while adding in his confusion, joyfulness, struggles and hardships from school, family, friends, enemies, girls and even his music. This is brought into greater focus as Joey is caught in a complex love triangle involving a woman whom he feels obligated to love based on her financial support of his musician dream and another whom he has been in love with since high school. He also finds himself conflicted in the futile attempt to make his father proud of him in spite of his consistent rejection and hardness. Joey is then forced between the choices of doing what he believes he is obligated to do or doing what he wants to do. I found that I was able to truly put myself in Joey's shoes as I could also feel the highs and lows of his emotions and mindsets based on the choices he makes, as well as his feelings of resignation that sometimes followed. A key element that I could appreciate from the author is the note of a generational comparison between Joey and his mother who also had to make conflicting choices of her own. It's in this way that the author gives a thoughtful and passionate look at the importance of the choices we make in life.

Finally, I enjoyed the ways in which the author weaved in Joey's musical development within the story. While I am not a professional musician myself, I thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated the use and references to various musical terminologies as Joey grew in his musical knowledge and ability.I found myself entranced by the various musical pieces referenced and felt as if I was learning right along with Joey. The involvement of the various musical pieces and terms I believe only serves the dual purpose of attracting musicians and non-musicians alike to the story.

Overall, I found the character development and plot both beautiful and heartbreaking at times. I felt a bond with the characters and did not want the book to end. This book would be a perfect read for musicians and non-musicians alike as the music terminology included added depth to the story but was not placed in the story so much that it did not drag the plot or add confusion or boredom to those who are non-musicians like myself. Structurally however, one of the things I disliked most was the prologue as it differs substantially with the character followed throughout the book. This caused confusion on my part as I was forced to wonder what was it that caused such a change in the characters behavior. Additionally, I believe that the book would benefit in being structured into chapters rather than its current format of five parts as the books timespan covers 30 years altogether. Its also important to note that there are some instances of strong language and erotic content. While I felt that these instances added depth and realism to the plot, I feel it is still important to point out in case a reader considers this an issue or a reader of a younger audience would want to read the book. I thoroughly enjoyed the book in its entirety so much so that I could not put it down. Its definitely a book that I want to read again and again. I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

Tears and Trombones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I find it frustrating when there are disconnects between the prologue and the rest of the book. It sets the tone for you to look for something that never happens. I often wonder if the prologue is written at a different time than the novel itself. In spite of this, it sounds like a wonderful book. I hope Joey ends up with the woman he loves and a wonderful musical career. Thank you for your review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

This sounds like a great book. I can see myself bawling my eyes out while reading it. The characters, especially Joey's mom, sound terrific. It's definitely joining my TBR list. Thanks for the awesome review and recommendation.
Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Sucsexful: by Rachel Martin

Post by Reynaa »

This sounds like a beautiful yet heartbreaking book, I really want to read it. Thank you for such a great review!
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I like how this book talks about a boy overcoming obstacles in pursuit of his love of music. Not sure if I would read it though because of the erotic scenes. Great review.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

This sounds like an emotional family dispute story. I'm going to read it too. Thanks for the review
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

journey of a Depression-era boy,Joey Woodman, with a dream of becoming a great Classical musician looks quite appealing to read. Thanks for your honest review though.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Deprise Evans

Post by Deprise Evans »

MsH2k wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 14:50 I find it frustrating when there are disconnects between the prologue and the rest of the book. It sets the tone for you to look for something that never happens. I often wonder if the prologue is written at a different time than the novel itself. In spite of this, it sounds like a wonderful book. I hope Joey ends up with the woman he loves and a wonderful musical career. Thank you for your review!
I agree with you completely. That was one of the things about the book that confused me. But I loved how the rest of the book flowed as a whole. Its truly a great book! Thanks so much for checking out my review!
Deprise Evans

Post by Deprise Evans »

Ever_Reading wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 06:34 This sounds like a great book. I can see myself bawling my eyes out while reading it. The characters, especially Joey's mom, sound terrific. It's definitely joining my TBR list. Thanks for the awesome review and recommendation.
It really is a great book! I know what you mean, there were times were I had to stop reading because I was crying. Thanks so much for checking out my review!
Deprise Evans

Post by Deprise Evans »

sanjus wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 02:02 journey of a Depression-era boy,Joey Woodman, with a dream of becoming a great Classical musician looks quite appealing to read. Thanks for your honest review though.
It truly is! It is one I would definitely read again. Thanks for checking out my review I appreciate it!
Deprise Evans

Post by Deprise Evans »

Julius_ wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 01:07 This sounds like an emotional family dispute story. I'm going to read it too. Thanks for the review
It is definitely an emotional story for sure. But the emotion within it I feel only adds a depth and realism to the already true story of the book. For me, I hated for the story to end when I was finished. Thanks so much for reading my review, I truly appreciate it!
Deprise Evans

Post by Deprise Evans »

melissy370 wrote: 18 Jan 2020, 19:36 I like how this book talks about a boy overcoming obstacles in pursuit of his love of music. Not sure if I would read it though because of the erotic scenes. Great review.
It is truly an inspiring book! I can understand your point with the erotic scenes, I am not one to read books that have them. However, in this books case, the story as a whole I felt helped to overshadow the erotic parts of the story. Thanks so much for checking out my review!
Deprise Evans

Post by Deprise Evans »

Reynaa wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 14:48 This sounds like a beautiful yet heartbreaking book, I really want to read it. Thank you for such a great review!
It truly is and you should! I know I didn't want to put it down. Thanks so much for checking out my review I appreciate it!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This is an amazing story. So many people struggle to identify their passion. Joey knew what he wanted to do, but then he had to fight against his own family members to move forward. I appreciated the focus on his mother as his advocate. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Its always heart breaking for a child to try in vain to impress a parent. I'm glad Joey's mom made up for it. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”