Review by kdstrack -- A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Review by kdstrack -- A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Portrait of Mommy" by JL Coston.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Portrait of Mommy by J. L. Coston told the story of the author’s mother. The events unfolded in chronological order. The narrative began with her birth in Georgia and covered the eighty-eight years of this incredible and fascinating woman's life.

Ellawese Darden was born on July 4, 1929, in Jacksonville, Georgia. From an early age, her parents called her Peas. Her home life crumbled due to the consequences of her father’s drinking and her mother’s infidelity. Her father allowed her to drop out of high school when the principal refused to deal with a bullying issue. Her marriage became tense and unhappy due to an alcoholic husband. She was a follower, living life from one crisis to the next. Then a tragic event defined her life. After this earth-shaking experience, Peas would no longer be a follower. She became a leader and decided to dedicate her life to serving God by helping others. What was the catalyst that shook her world and gave her life a spiritual focus?

I enjoyed the way J. L. Coston told her mother’s story in A Portrait of Mommy: Expressions of Love, Faith, and Perseverance. The respect that the author extended to her mother was a shining example of love for her progenitor. Peas shared many experiences of how she had helped her mother resolve stressful and overwhelming circumstances. She loved her mother and showed a nonjudgmental attitude toward her choices. These events developed her character and guided her future decisions and choices.

It would be incorrect to assert that Peas led a mundane life. The author captivated me with the numerous dramatic events that caused upheaval and trauma in her life. This nonfiction book frequently felt like a fictional novel as Peas confronted and overcame abandonment, abuse, bullying, and a failing marriage. There was ample opportunity for her to become bitter or vengeful. Nevertheless, she responded to adverse circumstances with compassion, forgiveness, and love. Readers can conclude that forgiveness is always a choice. How was Peas able to forgive so much mistreatment at the hands of others? “Stay focused on Jesus. He is the only way!” (p. 118)

Peas spoke openly and frequently of her faith in Jesus. The book quoted her favorite biblical references but is not preachy or pushy about the Christian faith. Some readers might disagree with her commitment to remain faithful to her marriage vow after her husband began to abuse alcohol.

It puzzled me that Ellawese would not include the names of all of her children in the book. Peas and her husband, Jimmy, had six children. Some of them do not receive any mention in the narrative. There were also more than ten grammar errors indicating the need for another round of editing.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The author presented an intriguing memoir that highlighted the faith, love, and perseverance of her beloved mother. I had to lower the score due to the number of errors in the book. I recommend this book to those who enjoy memoirs that focus on women who have not let the hardships of life crush their spirit. This book would appeal to Christians as they observe Peas grow in her faith by forgiving and serving others. Readers looking for true stories about strong women leaders would enjoy this book.

A Portrait of Mommy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a very inspiring story, showing that hardships can be overcome. I like that her daughter was there for her in a nonjudgmental way. Thanks for the great review!
Kemmyhiggins1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kemmyhiggins1 »

I love this story,it's inspiring to women who struggled and fought through difficult time that never gives up but maintain their grounds as a woman ,even to the title whereas most mothers ,women and wives go through secret battles and devastating or life threatening situations. I'm glad that stories like this is being told . Great story.
Bles
Currently Reading: Dance of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bles.html
Latest Review: Nettie Boo by Judy Adams Brown

Post by Bles »

The title of this book is captivating and as per your review, the book seems interesting. I will have to add it to my to-read list.
Books are beautiful.
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I also read this book and was impressed by the author's perseverance and determination.
Her assertive nature in matters regarding her faith also drew me closer to her.
Thank you for the impressive review.
Bet on Me! :idea:
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

Having read this book, I must say that your review reflects the contents of the book. The life of Peas is such an inspiring one. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

How inspiring. Peas sounds an awesome woman. I'm touched by the author's respect for her mother.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Prisallen wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 12:06 This sounds like a very inspiring story, showing that hardships can be overcome. I like that her daughter was there for her in a nonjudgmental way. Thanks for the great review!
This was an aspect of the story that impressed me, also. She respected her mother and set a great example for her children. Thanks for the thoughtful comment - much appreciated. :)
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Kemmyhiggins1 wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 13:12 I love this story,it's inspiring to women who struggled and fought through difficult time that never gives up but maintain their grounds as a woman ,even to the title whereas most mothers ,women and wives go through secret battles and devastating or life threatening situations. I'm glad that stories like this is being told . Great story.
I hope you get a chance to read this book. It is a true story that inspires other people who are experiencing difficult circumstances. Thanks for commenting!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Bles wrote: 25 Jan 2020, 02:50 The title of this book is captivating and as per your review, the book seems interesting. I will have to add it to my to-read list.
This would be an excellent addition to any TBR list. I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for reading and commenting. I appreciate it!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Kanda_theGreat wrote: 25 Jan 2020, 11:30 I also read this book and was impressed by the author's perseverance and determination.
Her assertive nature in matters regarding her faith also drew me closer to her.
Thank you for the impressive review.
Thank you so much for you kind comments. This book impacted both of us!! I appreciate your comments.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Julius_ wrote: 26 Jan 2020, 05:30 Having read this book, I must say that your review reflects the contents of the book. The life of Peas is such an inspiring one. Thanks for the review.
I agree. Her life and her faith were inspiring and motivating. Thanks for reading and commenting. I appreciate your thoughts.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Cotwani wrote: 26 Jan 2020, 07:16 How inspiring. Peas sounds an awesome woman. I'm touched by the author's respect for her mother.
This was one thing that moved and impressed me. I feel like this was one area where the author really made a choice to forgive and give love. She had other options (staying with her dad.) The rest of her story is just as amazing. I hope you have a chance to read her story. Thanks for commenting!
InStoree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

I think forgiveness is one of the hardest things that a human being can do while choosing the alternative seems so much easier. It always inspiring reading about people who kept their faith in God even when the hard times seemed endless. Your review gives some profound insights. Thank you!
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

InStoree wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 03:54 I think forgiveness is one of the hardest things that a human being can do while choosing the alternative seems so much easier. It always inspiring reading about people who kept their faith in God even when the hard times seemed endless. Your review gives some profound insights. Thank you!
Forgiveness and faith were two values that Ellawese put into practice. Her life story is a true inspiration of compassion and perseverance. I appreciate your comments. Thanks.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”