Review by SHALLU RAWAL -- Masters and Bastards

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SHALLU RAWAL
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shallu-rawal.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Review by SHALLU RAWAL -- Masters and Bastards

Post by SHALLU RAWAL »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Masters and Bastards" by Christopher J. Penington.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington is a futuristic and sci-fi novel. The hero of the story is Andreas Marset who is in Iberian army. He is an Arpathian. Arpathian are slaves of Iberians who rule the planet Poltervalt, after destruction of the earth. Both the races are of humans but there are large differences between them. They are in war with another planet which has another race of humans. The human existence is in danger because an alien invasion is on its way.

The author shows many qualities of Andreas. Andreas' mind is much mature than his body. There are some special powers in him and he is unaware about it. He has both his hard and light sides. He is always a centre of attention and deadly attacks. As the story catches its speed he finds himself surrounded by more enemies, plans and mysteries. People around him seems to not like speaking straight forward, it confuses both Andreas and me. All characters in the novel are developed like an onion. One after other layers are removed and new sides and qualities of them come forward.

The story is full of tension and suspense. The Author shows the politics, relationship, creatures and technology of that time in detail. More than half of the story covers battlefields where Andreas went as a fresher but, with his incredible skills he get promotef to higher positions. He faces humans, aliens and dinosaurs in his way. He shows his leadership quality which makes him and his force to survive in deathly battles.

My favourite parts of the book were planning moments. The objections, doubts and tensions were so real and detailed during the planning that I feel myself in the sitting on one of the chairs in the room. And of course, many things don't go according to plan but Andreas has the capacity to turn the situation in his hands. The book is full of action, suspense, thriller, drama and a bit of humour. Andreas finds himself surprised when he discovers a new and much stronger power in him and so do I. He is getting stronger and stronger which is increasing danger around him. They are also some romantic moments throughout the story with a love triangle between Isabell, Andreas and Hanna. The characters of both women play important roles.

The book is too long for me. It takes me a long time to finish reading it. The most I like about the book are the heroic moments of Andreas where he risks his own life to save his colleagues, which increase his respect in their eyes. The most I hate about the book is that it has heavy profanity but, I think that it is the future, which is very bad in my eyes. I'll like to give the book a 4 out of 4 stars . I find a few mistakes in the book. Some of them are "me" is used instead of "my" and "land" is used instead of "hand". But, they are very few. I highly recommend the book to the readers who are lovers of sci-fi, thriller and space fighting. I don't recommend the book to young and sensitive readers as there are heavy sexual contents and some very bloody deaths. Overall, I really enjoy the story.

Masters and Bastards
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds too graphic for me, but the premise is interesting. I like a good science fiction story. Your review brought out the good and bad points of the book. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

I read this book and i must say you did the book justice.It is such a great story and i also enjoyed it. They where moments when i couldn't even guess what the author had planned next in his story-line. Thanks for the outstanding review.
SHALLU RAWAL
Currently Reading:

Post by SHALLU RAWAL »

kandscreeley wrote: 23 Nov 2019, 10:57 It sounds too graphic for me, but the premise is interesting. I like a good science fiction story. Your review brought out the good and bad points of the book. Thanks.
Thanks for your comment. Nice to hear that the review was helpful for you.
SHALLU RAWAL
Currently Reading:

Post by SHALLU RAWAL »

Falconcrest wrote: 22 Dec 2019, 15:51 I read this book and i must say you did the book justice.It is such a great story and i also enjoyed it. They where moments when i couldn't even guess what the author had planned next in his story-line. Thanks for the outstanding review.
Great to hear that you enjoy it. The writer definitely has a lot of creativity. The story was shocking at every stage, especially at the end. Thanks for your comment.
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I get put off by excessive use of profanity and I guess I'll have to skip this one.
Thank you for your review.
Bet on Me! :idea:
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

I like that the author is realistic in the writings, especially in the planning moment. This was a good review. Thanks for it.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
SHALLU RAWAL
Currently Reading:

Post by SHALLU RAWAL »

Kanda_theGreat wrote: 26 Jan 2020, 01:06 I get put off by excessive use of profanity and I guess I'll have to skip this one.
Thank you for your review.
Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”