Official Review: Our Scarlet Blue Wounds

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: Our Scarlet Blue Wounds

Post by sarahmarlowe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Our Scarlet Blue Wounds" by Emmett Wheatfall.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Therefore, let black men and women, artists
Who paint black men and women, be given to
Sanctifying blackness – for the beauty of the
Black body is black strength; lest forgotten are
Our scarlet blue wounds."

-- "The Black Body"
Our Scarlet Blue Wounds by Emmett Wheatfall is a book of poetry that examines America, race, inequality, pain, and hope. This talented poet examines the foundations of the United States of America and asks if we are fulfilling their purposes. Clearly writing through eyes that have beheld scarlet blue wounds, he declares over and again that we are not. However, his poems are not all anger and despair. This is a book authored primarily to encourage black readers, but it also reaches out to others who have experienced injustice. In "To the Negro," Wheatfall says, "Do not seek refuge in your past/The door to reentry is closed" and, "That gift by the French to America/It was meant for you, too." In the introductory poem, referring, I believe, to the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Wheatfall writes, "from 55-year-old timber, let us whittle a new age." What a beautiful call to action this is!

Our Scarlet Blue Wounds shares its title with the first poem in the book. Additionally, the phrase "scarlet blue wounds" is used in several poems, which acts as a device that pulls the book together. I found the choice of scarlet and blue critical. First, to me, it is vivid imagery of a severe cut surrounded by bruising. Simultaneously, it pulls out the colors of the American flag. This imagery begins on the cover, with a slightly out of focus picture of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., done in red, white, and blue. Why is the picture out of focus? Because, perhaps, we have lost clarity of what Dr. King advocated.

Wheatfall's poems are finely crafted. The author uses many different stanza formats, keeping the reading experience interesting. He is skilled at implementing repetition of lines for emphasis, both within and among poems. He additionally uses free verse, lines from scripture, alliteration, and other devices. I especially enjoyed his uses of imagery, like this quote from "American Abstract," "Segregated fields of mustard colored poppies bow/ and bow. Most -- blurred images."

This next item may sound like a trivial point, but stay with me and overlook the poet nerdism. I like the placement of the poems in the book. They are placed on separate pages, allowing them to stand on their own. Beyond that, I think having one per page makes reading poetry more of an experience than if poems are jammed together. Considering one poem in front of me allows me to focus on it and see what can be drawn from it as an individual piece.

I found only two typos in the book. They were not distracting, and they were certainly not enough to deduct a star. Some poems are glib, some are encouraging, and some are downright angry. All encourage the reader to consider the weight of each poem's words. Because of the strength of the content and the professional editing, I rate Our Scarlet Blue Wounds 4 out of 4 stars.

This book is evocative literature. Since the target audience is black Americans, I recommend it to all readers who are interested in African American studies. However, I also think anyone who has felt neglected by society would find confirmation in these pages. Trump fans will want to stay clear of it since he is the topic of many seething poems. I would also not recommend it to supersensitive white Americans. Any prospective readers should know that only one poem contains borderline profanity.

Our Scarlet Blue Wounds
View: on Bookshelves
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
MsH2k
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading: Magic Blue Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: What They Bring by Willis

Post by MsH2k »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 25 Jan 2020, 12:26 First, to me, it is vivid imagery of a severe cut surrounded by bruising. Simultaneously, it pulls out the colors of the American flag. This imagery begins on the cover, with a slightly out of focus picture of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., done in red, white, and blue. Why is the picture out of focus? Because, perhaps, we have lost clarity of what Dr. King advocated.
Beautifully worded. This feels like it captures the essence of this book. Thank you for a wonderful review.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Maya Angelou
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Women and God by Philip Graubart

Post by mmm17 »

The book seems to be interesting, and your review was wonderful! :tiphat:
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

This sounds like a very well-written and thought-provoking book of poetry. I like how you said each poem is on its own page, making it easier to read. Thank you for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
adamgreenrock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamgreenrock.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Post by adamgreenrock »

I'm mostly in the dark when it comes to the dark side of US's controversial moments. I know bits of it here and there but never really knowing all of it. This might be an interesting read given how well written it is. Thanks for your review!
Sushan
Currently Reading: The Borders of Normal
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan.html
Latest Review: The Deadly Five by Raymond Maher
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan »

I am not much into poems, but I enjoyed reading your thorough review. Thank you 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Sushan
Currently Reading: The Borders of Normal
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan.html
Latest Review: The Deadly Five by Raymond Maher
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan »

I am not much into poems, but I enjoyed reading your thorough review. Thank you 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
esp1975
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by esp1975 »

This sounds like an amazing book of poetry. I will have to find time to pick it up.
Hi_low
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hi-low.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Hi_low »

This review is beautiful. I'm ready to drop everything I'm reading just to find a copy of this poetry book just based on the review. I absolutely love it!

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”