Review by Delaney35 -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Review by Delaney35 -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Delaney35 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Adrift by Charlie Sheldon tells the story of a daring rescue. There was a fire on the Seattle Express, and the captain decided to abandon it. The usual methods to put out the fire were not working, and the captain thought staying would be too dangerous. This decision left him and his crew adrift in the icy water. Meanwhile, two different groups began a race to recover the ship. Buckhorn, the company that owns the ship wanted to get it before Louise and Larry. They are a married couple that operates a recovery business with their tugboat. If Louise and Larry claim it first, they will receive a large sum of money. However, Buckhorn is willing to do anything in their power to get to the ship first.

This story is a mix of a race to retrieve the ship and a survival story. The crew has to survive terrible conditions in the lifeboats. Additionally, the retrieval of the ship is not an easy task. The crew of the tugboat faces significant struggles because of conditions on the Seattle Express and general weather conditions. Sheldon did an amazing job balancing the different storylines. The perspective jumped between many different characters which created an interesting dynamic. Additionally, he used vivid imagery that allowed me to picture each scene without any difficulty. The imagery was my favorite part of the novel.

There were a lot of characters. I was a little worried at first because I thought it would be difficult to remember who each one was. However, keeping them straight was not a problem. They all had distinct personalities and actions. I also thought that their interactions felt genuine and they all reacted to the terrible conditions in realistic ways.

Throughout the novel, there were a few grammatical errors. They did not detract from my understanding of the story. There also weren't enough to warrant taking away a star from the rating. For the most part, they were missing commas. These slight errors, though present, are not significant. These errors were my only issue with the book.

Overall, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The plot was engaging, the characters were well-developed, and I genuinely enjoyed reading it. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a good adventure. I believe any reader will be able to find a character they can relate to, at least on some level. The cast is quite diverse. I strongly believe that this is a book worth reading.

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Delaney35's review? Post a comment saying so!
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

Thank you for your informative review. The book sounds very exciting and I will be adding it to my shevles. Books with many characters can be overwhelming, so thank you for mentioning that it was not the case in this book.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Delaney35

Post by Delaney35 »

Sinclairess wrote: 24 Apr 2019, 12:18 Thank you for your informative review. The book sounds very exciting and I will be adding it to my shevles. Books with many characters can be overwhelming, so thank you for mentioning that it was not the case in this book.
Thanks for commenting!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Having read and reviewed the book recently (though not yet published) I find your review very thorough. Sheldon's imagery is not only vivid, but a true reflection of the situations.

Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Delaney35

Post by Delaney35 »

Cotwani wrote: 25 Apr 2019, 08:36 Having read and reviewed the book recently (though not yet published) I find your review very thorough. Sheldon's imagery is not only vivid, but a true reflection of the situations.

Great review!
Thanks for commenting!
BuzzingQuill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buzzingquill.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by BuzzingQuill »

Fantastic review! I also had thought the amount of characters were going to be overwhelming, but to my surprise it worked very well. I liked the perspective jumps because they always kept you hooked, after you’ve finished read a chapter from Louise’s POV there would come a completely different chapter POV character and I think that gave the story a bit of suspense while reading it
Delaney35

Post by Delaney35 »

BuzzingQuill wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 04:49 Fantastic review! I also had thought the amount of characters were going to be overwhelming, but to my surprise it worked very well. I liked the perspective jumps because they always kept you hooked, after you’ve finished read a chapter from Louise’s POV there would come a completely different chapter POV character and I think that gave the story a bit of suspense while reading it
The suspense was well done. Thanks for commenting!
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I loved the first book, and I am very excited about this one.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A survival tale that takes the reader into the wilderness of the Pacific Northwest sounds exciting. It is good that one can keep the characters straight despite their large number. That it was well-edited is another plus. I have read the first book and this one on my reading list, so I am glad you found it engaging. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a coming of age fiction story that is the sequel to Strong Heart, and highlights sea adventure, being adrift, rescue, and friendship. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has an interesting OnlineBookClub review. Congrats @Charlie_Sheldon on the BOTD.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This was a great book! I loved the development of characters, and Sheldon spent time introducing them. I loved the mixture of adventure and character evolution. An added bonus for me was learning all the ship terminology! Thanks for the wonderful review!
iknwuzoh
Currently Reading: We Are Voulhire: Fires of Virko
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iknwuzoh.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by iknwuzoh »

This book is an adventurous one. It is suitable for travellers and tourists. The reviewer did a nice job. Thanks for the review.
wendilou49
Favorite Book: Code Name Lily
Currently Reading: So Into Her
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendilou49.html
Latest Review: Blossom ~ The Wild Ambassador of Tewksbury by Anna Carner
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by wendilou49 »

I've had this book on my shelves for a while. Thanks for bringing it back as BOTD. This review renewed my interest to read and review Adrift
SangeethaNarayan
Currently Reading: The Prophet
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sangeethanarayan.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by SangeethaNarayan »

I have to congratulate the author first for making it to the book of the day, second day in a row. The story seems pretty interesting. I'm a little bit concerned about having too many characters, but going by your review, I look forward to reading how the author handled this. Thank you for a wonderful review!!
Scerakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

The story of the terror aboard the Seattle Express sounds like an absolute thriller that many readers can easily get into!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”