Review by Leyla Ann -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Review by Leyla Ann -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Leyla Ann »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Man Mission by Eytan Uliel is an Australian fictional book. The story revolves around 4 best friends who go through crazy adventures on a yearly basis and do activities that live up to their manliness.

The idea of “Man Mission” was formed nonchalantly by both of the narrator and his friend Sam during their college days. Back then, their thought extended merely as far as a wish to travel around the world and discover new places. Unfortunately, the thought was put on a hold for a few years, that is until Sam took the initiative to suggest executing the idea to the narrator through a phone call, which led to them having an unforgettable first experience. The latter resulted in them formalising man mission and making it an annual ritual. Intriguing as it is, it only took one more mission to tempt their friend Daniel into joining them and eventually an additional one before the team was completed with the presence of their other friend Alec.

For your average guy, their activities are as extreme as they come: biking, hiking, kayaking, trekking, paddling, ice climbing, etc. What’s more amusing are the anecdotes which accompany said activities; that dose of humour included exceeds the definition of addictive.

In addition to all the fun, there is a noteworthy amount of wisdom in the story. It covers the most important prospects of life like relationships, marriage, family, manhood, friendship, regret, expectations, etc., meticulously that it makes it impossible not to fall in love with the book overall.

It goes the least to say that I have enjoyed reading this book until the very last page. Not only did I like the story as a whole, but also how the author was so considerate as to add a simple map introducing the area in which the following man mission will take place. I also liked the quotes and verses added before diving into mission-related details.

In light of the above and considering how I barely came across one or two typos/grammatical errors, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I really wish I could give it more stars because it absolutely deserves it.

The book contains non-borderline profanity, so people who are not comfortable with such expressions may not find it enjoyable as much as I did. For others who may overlook it though, this book is definitely worth reading as it goes beyond enjoyable and as far as educational by providing meaningful lessons along the lines.

Man Mission
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

I loved the maps too! And I also did not mind the profanities, I actually think they add to the humor in the book. I also read it and reviewed it and I enjoyed it a lot in spite of my initial doubts :)
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

Yeah me too! I don't exaggerate when I say that I deem their presence to be of great importance to the point of man mission.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

It's commendable you were able to identify the protagonist with no difficulties. It took me some time before I was able to identify the name of the protagonist. You did great in your review. Kudos.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Leyla Ann wrote: 25 Jan 2020, 06:33 Yeah me too! I don't exaggerate when I say that I deem their presence to be of great importance to the point of man mission.
Those are situations where profanities are normally used. I think this is a case where profanities are not gratuitous, as their use give a deeper sense of what's happening to the characters.
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”