Review by Ellylion -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Review by Ellylion -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

Post by Ellylion »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is the first book of the We are Voulhire series, and it opens the door to the amazing new world of knights and traitors; kings and court intrigues; honest labor and magically earned artifacts. The author makes a brilliant description of this fantasy land and all its cities with detailed characteristics, including religious views of their inhabitants. Every city has its own purpose, be it fishery, industry, religion, or governance.

As a whole, this universe divides into the Cosmos, the physical world, and Caromentis, the world of magic, from where mages draw their powers. A one of them is Meldorath, the main antagonist of the book.

Galen, a refugee from the war-torn Lands of the Princes, arrives to Voulhire's Magnum Caelum to inherit a forge his late uncle left to him. He is extremely grateful for his rescue from the troubled region and the given opportunity to find himself in the land of abundance and, as he thinks, peace. Galen doesn't suspect that Voulhire prepares for him maybe even worse challenges than he already faced. He naively trusts his new friends - an executor of his late uncle's will Rowan and a scholar monk Demetrius with whom he will discover many secrets of his new home.

Lord Eldus Alderman was sent by King Wilhelm to a coastal Hillport to boost its economical development. Right after his arrival Lord Eldus faced problems that emerged because of his predecessors. He understands that his new appointment will not be very easy. Also, the locals still need time to trust him, and on a small island near by, in a dark mason, a formidable enemy waits for a chance.

I liked most about this book the unexpected plot twists and turns and all the mysteries the author left for the next books of the series to reveal. Also, it's worth mentioning that this relatively short book (150 pages only) has many very well developed characters. Their evolution promises to be even more breathtaking, so as their future adventures, I am really looking forward to. Again the author's fantasy has no limits as he uses just a few strokes to portray the personages.

There was nothing I could possibly dislike about this book. As I was reading, I found just a couple of typos, thus, I concluded that the book was professionally edited, and it was my pleasure to give it 4 out of 4 stars.

The book has profanity language, disturbing scenes, and sex slang, so I would not recommend it to a sensitive or younger audience, and also to those who avoid reading about fantasy universes without any connection to the ordinary world.

I recommend this book to fans of dark fantasy, mystery, and adventure novels, so as to those who enjoy books with sudden dark twists and turns as the narrative unfolds.

This introductory book combines the calm colors of the Promised Land with the dark and heartbreaking images of war, crime, and violence. If you like reading about the everlasting fight between good and evil, this book is for you.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

What a splendid review! I really enjoyed your summary and comments. Now I want to meet Galen and his frenemies!
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Miriam Molina wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 19:13 What a splendid review! I really enjoyed your summary and comments. Now I want to meet Galen and his frenemies!
Thank you so much! You won't be disappointed! :)
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

I really enjoyed the world-building and all the plotlines the book started to set up, but I personally felt it didn't stand as well as a story on its own. Still, thanks for the review!
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

I can see you also enjoyed the book, as much as i did. The author has such a creative imagination, and they were so many characters that blew me away. Thanks for the great review.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

Having read this book, I liked the concept of a remote magical world. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I read the book, but I didn't get the story line clearly. I'm glad you were able to identify the two worlds that existed in the Voulhire universe. Great work in your review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Tomah wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 13:32 I really enjoyed the world-building and all the plotlines the book started to set up, but I personally felt it didn't stand as well as a story on its own. Still, thanks for the review!
Thank you for your comment!
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Nerea wrote: 25 Jan 2020, 01:14 I read the book, but I didn't get the story line clearly. I'm glad you were able to identify the two worlds that existed in the Voulhire universe. Great work in your review.
Thank you very much! Well, it's just an introductory book, and I noticed some promising story lines there :)
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Julius_ wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 14:37 Having read this book, I liked the concept of a remote magical world. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for stopping by! :)
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Falconcrest wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 13:47 I can see you also enjoyed the book, as much as i did. The author has such a creative imagination, and they were so many characters that blew me away. Thanks for the great review.
So true! Can't wait to explore Caromentis more closely :) Thank you for your kind words!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

It seems like I am one of just a few people that hasn't read this book. I have to admit that it does seem interesting. Thanks for the wonderful review!
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Prisallen wrote: 25 Jan 2020, 16:34 It seems like I am one of just a few people that hasn't read this book. I have to admit that it does seem interesting. Thanks for the wonderful review!
Thank you so much for your kind words! It is interesting for sure! :)
azidy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azidy.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by azidy »

This was a great review! I completely agree with you. In only 150 pages, the author managed to vividly describe multiple cities and present many interesting characters. I noticed you continued the series and have given the sequels high grades as well. I'll be sure to read those reviews when I catch up!
Maconstewart
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading: Black Beach
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maconstewart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maconstewart »

I am among the few who have not read this! I love fantasy and the idea that there are other magical worlds out there. I think this would be a great read for me!
Lisa

My greatest accomplishment is that I raised two daughters that love to read.
:techie-reference: :techie-reference:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”