Review by Jbcitygirl -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lorraine De Vos
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Indian Immigrant
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorraine-de-vos.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Review by Jbcitygirl -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Lorraine De Vos »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Man Mission by Eytan Uliel is guaranteed to take you on the adventure of a lifetime!

Whilst in law school the author bonds with his friend Sam over interesting food and their mutual love for travel. A seed is planted that they would like to travel to exotic places, eat foreign food and do manly exercise to alleviate the guilt of overindulgence. Needless to say, I few years down the line, they turn the dream into reality and so the Man Mission Charter is born.

The two young men set off on the first voyage alone and are joined by their friends Daniel and Alec on later travels. The four friends explore places like New Zealand, Japan, Fiji, Spain, South Korea (North Korea was vetoed by the ‘Wives Committee’), South Africa, Vietnam, USA, Taiwan, Peru, Iceland and of course some short trips in their home country of Australia. On these travels, they cycle, hike, kayak, ski, and sail. They stay in tents, huts, with random strangers on farms, and generally just about anywhere the road takes them. They sustain many injuries between them over 15 years whilst on the excursions, but luckily none of it is truly life-threatening. They eat strange and outlandish food, and they enjoy the feeling of being young and free for a couple of days annually.

The author is a gifted storyteller. He uses the first-person narrative but does not neglect to sympathetically see things from his friend’s points of view. His use of humor is whimsical, and I found myself laughing out loud on many occasions. I thoroughly enjoyed each chapter and felt like I was right there with them, laughing, crying, joking about, and learning. The growth that each man underwent is magnificent. The ultimate message I received from this book is to work hard, but to play harder. It’s not just fun and laughs though, as these young men slowly mature and go through major life-changing events, like marriage, fatherhood, careers, illness, and loss. Their unmistakable bond of friendship ensures they are never alone when dealing with anything traumatic.

I would not recommend this book to children, as it contains strong language and sexual references, but if you are a fan of adventure, travel, reading about friendships and relationships, this book will be a delightful addition to your library.

My favorite object in the book is the ‘pink bracelet’, but you will have to read the book yourself to know what it is about…

There is absolutely nothing I would change about this book. The editing is flawless, and the storyline is spellbinding. I have read so many rave reviews, and I agree with them all! Man Mission irrefutably deserves a solid 4 out of 4 stars.

Man Mission
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Nicolene75
Favorite Book: Redeeming Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicolene75.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Nicolene75 »

Great review! Book sounds amazing.
Julez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julez.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by Julez »

I enjoyed reading this book. It was nice read more on the way the mind of men works.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

You mention so many of the important, funny, and touching elements of this story and somehow managed to make it sound, or read, nicely!
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”