Review by Magnify3 -- Hidden: Nistar by Batya Casper

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Review by Magnify3 -- Hidden: Nistar by Batya Casper

Post by Magnify3 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Hidden: Nistar" by Batya Casper.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hidden: Nistar by Batya Casper is a historical fiction novel about war, secrecy, pain, loss and hope. It is basically two books in one, namely: Hidden and Hanover Gardens. The war story is told in a before and after fashion with a twist.

Set at a time years after the war, Hidden follows the story of the effects that the war had on the Lazamof family in Israel. After old Baruch Lazamof falls down to his death from the staircase, his neighbours say that Hannah killed him. No one has seen Hannah in years. A strange woman with red tinted hair shows up the following day. She lets herself into the house with her own key. The strange woman says that she is the next of kin. Tikvah the little girl keeps asking questions about her parents, but no one gives her a satisfying answer.

Hanover Gardens is set in England at the time of the war. Sisters, Myra and Annie Feld are sent to live with Inda and her family. Other people turn up to live there in need of a home. None of them were related. One day a knife goes missing. Days later a series of gushes are seen on the furniture and walls.

Casper has a unique and flawless writing style. She writes her story backwards, beginning years after the war is over. Whilst her language is clear and easy to read, the story itself is full of suspense and unanswered questions that unfold in the end. Having never read anything like it before, I found both the story and the style in which she told it unique. It was a war story with less details of the gory war itself. Instead one learnt the devastating effects through the eyes of family members that had lost loved ones.The first book illustrates what can happen when pain is hidden. When people do their best not to acknowledge their pain, living like nothing ever happened. The second book depicts quite the opposite. In identifying the pain and not only confronting it but helping others in the same predicament one finds hope for the future.

Another thing I think the author was trying to share, was the understanding that the effects of a war could affect a generation long after it was over. That children though young are equally affected by war, and that one must not think that they are to young to understand.

Hidden's narrative tends to switch from first to third person. Most of it being told from the point of view of Old Baruch Lazamof's late wife. Hanover Gardens is mostly told from the point of view of the children and partly Inda's. What I liked most about the book was the suspense and the sign of hope. What I didn't like was wishing there was a little bit more to be told when all had been said.

There are very few errors in the book which interestingly are even highlighted. For this reason and the fact that it has a great writing style, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I would recommend the book to people that are interested in Israel, history, wars, refugees and just anyone who believes in hope after a war.

Hidden: Nistar
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

War is definitely something that influences several generations. It sounds like the author conveys that well. I'll have to keep this in mind for the future. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 »

kandscreeley wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 20:28 War is definitely something that influences several generations. It sounds like the author conveys that well. I'll have to keep this in mind for the future. Thanks!
The author is a genius. I do hope that you get to read it sometime. Thank you for stopping by!
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I haven't read many books that deal with the after-effects of war. This one sounds like an intersting read. Great review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 »

Letora wrote: 22 Jan 2020, 06:48 I haven't read many books that deal with the after-effects of war. This one sounds like an intersting read. Great review!
It is an interesting read. The author's writing style is poetic and keeps you glued to the pages. I do hope that you get a chance to read it!
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Seemingly an interesting book which describes the aftermath as well as emotional aspect of war. Nice review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

It's interesting that the author writes her story backward as I usually prefer to have it in a linear fashion. Other than that, this book seems like one I would be interested in reading. Thank you for the wonderful review!
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

This seems like an amazing book with a lot of depth in it. I think I would really like to read it. Thanks for the amazing review!
Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 »

Sushan wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 20:04 Seemingly an interesting book which describes the aftermath as well as emotional aspect of war. Nice review 👍👍
It really is an interesting book. Thank you for the kind words as well as for taking time to read my review!
Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 »

Prisallen wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 10:38 It's interesting that the author writes her story backward as I usually prefer to have it in a linear fashion. Other than that, this book seems like one I would be interested in reading. Thank you for the wonderful review!
Truth be told, you will not even realize thst the story is being told backwards when you are reading. At least not immediately!
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

A story with a flawless writing seams like a nice read. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 »

SomeoneInTheWorld wrote: 25 Jan 2020, 13:15 This seems like an amazing book with a lot of depth in it. I think I would really like to read it. Thanks for the amazing review!
Thank you for taking time to read my review and make a comment. I do hope that you get to read it.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 »

Julius_ wrote: 26 Jan 2020, 06:04 A story with a flawless writing seams like a nice read. Thanks for the review.
You can say that again! Thanks for taking time to read my review. I hope that you get a chance to read it too.
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

Wow, the backward style seems challenging. Also, including two books in one sounds like the author took his time in building the plot. I'll keep in mind this book, as it seems to provide some interesting themes. Lovely review! Thank you for the recommendation!
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

It is true that when pain is hidden, there are consequences to pay, but when not only acknowledged, but purposefully used to enlighten others, hope and purpose spring forth. Sounds like a soul-searching read. Thanks for the great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”