Official Review: Country Boy City Boy A Journey That Ain'...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Country Boy City Boy A Journey That Ain'...

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Country Boy City Boy A Journey That Ain't Over Yet" by James Cooley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

James Cooley described his mother as "...a hardworking woman with soft doe eyes who had two, sometimes three jobs." She was the mother of ten children fathered by six different men. When Cooley was six years old, she sent him and his older brother away from the housing projects in Chattanooga, Tennessee to live with their uncle and aunt on their farm in the tiny community of Graham, Alabama. At the age of eleven, he returned to his mother in Chattanooga. In Country Boy, City Boy: A Journey That Ain't Over Yet, Cooley provides readers with a snapshot of his story as he adjusted from one lifestyle to the other. With humor and transparency, he shares how the challenges of his upbringing equipped him for the various destinations of his journey from childhood to a retired Navy Lieutenant.

Cooley's gift for storytelling is evident by the fact that I finished his 142-page book in one sitting. Readers will relate to his amusing anecdotes about living on a farm, as well as his more serious reflections regarding his faith, work ethic, naval career, and foundational philosophies. Cooley also coins meaningful acronyms like "Life: Love, Investment, Family, Empowerment," and the book is further enhanced by his inclusion of a photograph gallery, complete with detailed captions.

Given Cooley's flair for humor and strong work ethic, it isn't surprising that his high school peers selected him as both "Class Clown" and "Most Likely to Succeed." I especially like Cooley's ability to intertwine entertaining stories with the impact his faith has played in various destinations of his life's journey. Chapter titles like "That White Woman Done Lost Her Mind" give readers a glimpse into Cooley's life as an award-winning Navy officer who is funny enough to open as a stand-up comedian for Sinbad and Cedric the Entertainer but never loses sight of his faith as a priority.

Referring to his close-knit family and country lifestyle, Cooley recalls, "I learned about character and the importance of God and faith. Most importantly, I learned that while we weren't rich in dollars, we were rich in love." Cooley doesn't shy away from mentioning his faith, but his humble beginnings and rise to leadership touch on topics that will inspire a range of readers regardless of their beliefs. Time after time, Cooley has thrived in the face of adversity. While he developed "..the first Navy-wide at-sea physical fitness program" and served at the White House and Pentagon, he has also survived thyroid cancer and "persevered through forty-eight surgeries" after a nine-year ordeal that began with sleep apnea.

Although there isn't anything I dislike about the book, I will note that Cooley inconsistently uses both "six" and "6" on the same page. Also, the book has a visually professional presentation, but unfortunately, it has too many errors for me to award it a perfect rating. Most of the errors are the use of possessives instead of plurals. With a bit of polishing, the book has the potential to earn the highest rating, but in its present state, I must rate Country Boy, City Boy 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers who enjoy humorous stories about overcoming adversity. It contains one instance of borderline profanity.

Country Boy City Boy A Journey That Ain't Over Yet
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Readers will relate to his amusing anecdotes about living on a farm, as well as his more serious reflections regarding his faith, work ethic, naval career, and foundational philosophies
Sounds witty but real, my kind of book. I have enjoyed reading your review too. Great work!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Cotwani wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 00:47
Readers will relate to his amusing anecdotes about living on a farm, as well as his more serious reflections regarding his faith, work ethic, naval career, and foundational philosophies
Sounds witty but real, my kind of book. I have enjoyed reading your review too. Great work!
Thank you!
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

A part from the inadequate editing, I think this book is awesome according to your review. I'll see to it that I read it too. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

Excellent review! I loved that you included that he has done stand up comedy and with whom he worked. Great details! Sounds like a very enjoyable read!
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Julius_ wrote: 20 Jan 2020, 10:12 A part from the inadequate editing, I think this book is awesome according to your review. I'll see to it that I read it too. Thanks for the review.
Thank you for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Dragonsend wrote: 20 Jan 2020, 15:44 Excellent review! I loved that you included that he has done stand up comedy and with whom he worked. Great details! Sounds like a very enjoyable read!
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

It is always good to realize that ones family is rich in love even when not rich in dollars. Thanks for the review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Magnify3 wrote: 22 Jan 2020, 05:08 It is always good to realize that ones family is rich in love even when not rich in dollars. Thanks for the review!
I agree! Thanks for your comment.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a motivational non-fiction biography showing the narrators upbringing, lessons from his journey to adulthood, and using a healthy dose of humor and transparency. It has a free sample on Amazon Kindle and an amazing OnlineBookClub review. Congrats @JCCooley9 on the BOTD.
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

The story made me remember a family who had 12 children, they are my neighbor. I was shocked the woman in the story had children fathered by 6 men. I can't imagine a family like that existed. I'm glad Cooley triumphantly overcome his struggles.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Jorge Leon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

An interesting book where the author offers readers a snapshot of his story while adapting from one lifestyle to another. With humor and transparency, he shares how the challenges of his education prepared him for the various destinations of his journey in life.
Dariana_aa
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dariana_aa »

I really liked your review since you explained the book briefly and still managed to catch me. It is more than clear that apart from being funny the book is of overcoming.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

The book had a strong opening, and from what I could gather by the sample, it held that strong story telling.
Amy747
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy747.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Amy747 »

48 surgeries?! Thats alot of time spent in hospital. That alone is amazing enough. This sounds like an interesting read.
Last edited by Amy747 on 18 Feb 2020, 08:38, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”