Official Review: On Loving by Lili Naghdi

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Official Review: On Loving by Lili Naghdi

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "On Loving" by Lili Naghdi.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

With the recent passing of her beloved adoptive father, Dr. Rose Hemmings is distraught. Her father’s final wish was for her to travel to Iran and uncover her roots. Due to a mixture of fear and trepidation, she keeps putting off the trip, but one night changes everything. Rose is compelled to save a stranger who suffers a gunshot wound, and while nursing him back to health, she finds herself drawn to him in a way that she cannot fully comprehend. Dean has an undeniable sadness about him, and Rose fears that if left alone, he could do something irreversible. His therapist recommends that the two travel together; that way, Rose can keep an eye on Dean, and he can support her on this difficult journey.

They travel to Tehran, Iran to meet Rose’s extended family, and her feelings for Dean continue to grow. She learns her biological grandfather, Morad Khan, is terminally ill, and she is next in line to be the heir to his power and opulence. This inheritance comes with a catch, of course, in return, she must become a citizen of Iran and marry her cousin Siyavash. She can’t possibly leave her life in America. That would mean giving up her career and her burgeoning love for Dean.

On the other hand, her medical expertise could be of great use to the people of Iran, and Siyavash is beginning to worm his way into her heart. Rose has never been in love, and now she finds herself torn between two lovers and two completely different lives. What will she do? One thing is for sure she is about to embark on the most memorable and heart-wrenching journey of her life.

This literary gem was impeccably written; it was like no other book I had ever read. On Loving by Lili Naghdi was a story that transcended your typical romance book and was in a realm all of its own. The book followed the main character Rose as she embarked upon the greatest adventure of all time. Throughout her journey, she was able to experience two great loves that filled but challenged her heart in ways she never knew possible. While the book is long in duration, it felt like moments between reading the first and the last line of the text. This book was a labor of love, and the author’s devotion to the story shone through on every page.

The thing I adored most about the book was the evolution of Rose’s character. With the story being quite long, the author took her time to develop the main character fully. In the beginning, Rose was portrayed as a no-nonsense doctor that was dedicated to her career. Due to her romantic inexperience, she paid little attention to matters of the heart. Things rapidly changed when she locked eyes with the enigmatic Dean. The author does an excellent job of conveying the desperation that one feels when experiencing love for the first time. As time goes by and Rose suffers the effects of a broken heart, the agony is replaced by the need for stability and loyalty. Siyavash’s character showed Rose a different type of love, one that was based on companionship and security.

While Rose’s character made a significant impact on me, the supporting characters were quite memorable, as well. Dean was the epitome of a tortured soul. With his desolate gaze and his mysterious demeanor, it’s no wonder Rose wanted to take care of him. The way his conflicting feelings for Rose were portrayed made him both lovable and frustrating. While I found Siyavash’s arrogance off-putting at first, he quickly became my favorite character. He was confident in his feelings for Rose, and his heart was transparent from the get-go. There were no secrets with him, no ulterior motives. He was an open book in which every page professed his love for Rose. Finally, Borna, Siyavash’s mother, was often Rose’s shoulder to cry on. She was a beacon of hope and strength on Rose’s darkest days and was able to impart her wisdom in a way that Rose understood.

On Loving had no issues with editing, and I can happily say that I found no errors in the book. By the first few pages, I knew I was in love, and I rushed through my responsibilities so that I could spend all of my time in the presence of this literary delight! I have chosen to give the book a rating of four out of four stars, but would give it more if I could!

On Loving would be well-suited to readers who can invest a significant amount of time into reading this book. If you love romance that is infused with quotes and poetry, this book is for you! The book is full of excerpts from inspirational poems by Rumi and Forough Farrokhzad, which adds another layer of beauty into this already breathtaking book.

On Loving
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

This sounds beautifully nuanced and very well-written for a romance. I really enjoyed your review. I have a question, though, before I read the book. Is this a love triangle? I always feel bad for whichever one is not chosen, so I hate love triangles. Or, was it more a matter of consecutive lovers? I'm interested in reading the book based on your description. I just really hate love triangles.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I think I am also in love with this book already. Though inheriting prestige is sometimes 'cliche' in romance stories, this one's divided-heart twist seems captivating. Thanks for the enchanting review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

So while reading the review, I was routing for Dean :roll: then Siyavash happens to have no secrets or ulterior motives 👍so I switched. Now I wish that you could whisper the ending to me. :eusa-think: I will have to read this book!
Stephanie Elizabeth

Laura Lee wrote: 20 Jan 2020, 21:40 This sounds beautifully nuanced and very well-written for a romance. I really enjoyed your review. I have a question, though, before I read the book. Is this a love triangle? I always feel bad for whichever one is not chosen, so I hate love triangles. Or, was it more a matter of consecutive lovers? I'm interested in reading the book based on your description. I just really hate love triangles.
The way it is presented does not feel like your typical love triangle. I don't want to say too much!
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 06:01
Laura Lee wrote: 20 Jan 2020, 21:40 This sounds beautifully nuanced and very well-written for a romance. I really enjoyed your review. I have a question, though, before I read the book. Is this a love triangle? I always feel bad for whichever one is not chosen, so I hate love triangles. Or, was it more a matter of consecutive lovers? I'm interested in reading the book based on your description. I just really hate love triangles.
The way it is presented does not feel like your typical love triangle. I don't want to say too much!
That's fine. I don't want any spoilers. Just good to know that it's not a typical love triangle. That being the case, this sounds like a book I'd really like to read. Thanks for a great review!
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Stephanie Elizabeth

Cotwani wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 02:41 I think I am also in love with this book already. Though inheriting prestige is sometimes 'cliche' in romance stories, this one's divided-heart twist seems captivating. Thanks for the enchanting review!
Thank you!
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I have this thing with avoiding triangles or any other shapes in romance novels. Your review is wonderful, it is so tempting to give this book a chance.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

Wow! This one seems to be an excellent read, indeed. I also love romance with a touch of poetry. Thanks for the recommendation! Your review was wonderful. :tiphat:
Stephanie Elizabeth

Laura Lee wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 06:05
Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 06:01
That's fine. I don't want any spoilers. Just good to know that it's not a typical love triangle. That being the case, this sounds like a book I'd really like to read. Thanks for a great review!
You won't be disappointed!
Stephanie Elizabeth

mmm17 wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 16:00 Wow! This one seems to be an excellent read, indeed. I also love romance with a touch of poetry. Thanks for the recommendation! Your review was wonderful. :tiphat:
It definitely stood out amongst other books! Thanks!
Stephanie Elizabeth

AntonelaMaria wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 14:52 I have this thing with avoiding triangles or any other shapes in romance novels. Your review is wonderful, it is so tempting to give this book a chance.
Thank you!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad the characters were fully developed, but any type of romance just isn't my style. You've made it sound intriguing, even though it isn't my genre. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author has created an incredible dilemma for Rose. I loved how you described the book as only seeming like a moment from beginning to end. What high praise for the author! This books sounds quite tempting! Thanks for a wonderful review, Stephanie!!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”