Review by NetMassimo -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Review by NetMassimo -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by NetMassimo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Man Mission by Eytan Uliel is a story of a group of friends who decide to get together every year for what they call a Man Mission. It's a trip somewhere in the world where they can put themselves to the test choosing their own rules. Meanwhile, their lives go on, but their families and their jobs seem increasingly in contrast with their Man Missions.

This novel is centered around fifteen trips told in the first person by one of the friends who committed to what they called Man Missions, but it's far more than a travelogue. Those trips are used to develop a lot of introspection in which the narrator tells about his inner journey. For the protagonists, the goal is to be men, but what does that really mean?

Through the narrator, Eytan Uliel describes the Man Missions alternating bits of them with bits of the protagonists' everyday lives with their relationships and their jobs. The events are told out of sequence, and that stresses what quickly becomes a contrast between those parts of their lives.

The Man Missions become slightly repetitive, but there aren't many variations of hiking, biking, and kayaking stories, especially when each story is told in just a few pages. I think that Eytan Uliel did a good job at compensating those repetitions with different settings, different problems, and especially encounters with different types of people. Those encounters offer food for thought because they allow the protagonists to compare their lives with those of people who live in different countries with different cultures.

At the beginning, this novel can seem superficial, with friends being silly during a trip where things don't always go the way they wanted. There are hilarious moments, and the Man Missions are occasions for the protagonists to taunt each other mercilessly. However, under all the silliness and the machismo there are profound issues. You can see the details of the narrator's life with its changes and its problems. During the Man Missions he feels satisfaction even when he and his friends have to face unpredicted events because it's what they chose to do. On the contrary, during his normal life he does what he's supposed to do, and that becomes a burden. He grew up when there was a certain traditional idea of what being a man meant. Today that's far from enough for young men to have a full life.

Man Mission is an emotional rollercoaster and a story of lessons learned the hard way. I found it very interesting for the introspection developed through the protagonists' lives, and it's professionally edited. For these reasons, my rating is 4 out of 4 stars. Note that profanities are abundant throughout the novel, and there are several sexual references, so it's suitable for adults. If you feel your life looks like a cage or your want to make important changes to your life, this novel might give you some significant clues.

Man Mission
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Ciao :)
Massimo
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

Excellently written review of a really great book. I enjoyed it, too. :D
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I agree, the Man Mission was more than a "travelogue." I enjoyed the events that were fixed between the trips experience narration. It's a book to behold. Thanks
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Laura Lee wrote: 11 Jan 2020, 22:28 Excellently written review of a really great book. I enjoyed it, too. :D
Thank you for your appreciation. :)
Massimo
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Nerea wrote: 11 Jan 2020, 23:45 I agree, the Man Mission was more than a "travelogue." I enjoyed the events that were fixed between the trips experience narration. It's a book to behold. Thanks
Indeed it's a combination of trips and everyday life. You could say that the travelogue is a backbone and the author used it to build the story around it.
Massimo
oshanl
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by oshanl »

Excellently written review of a really great book. I enjoyed it, too.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

I've read this book too and I love the adventure part of it. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

oshanl wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 04:30 Excellently written review of a really great book. I enjoyed it, too.
Thank you for the appreciation. I agree about the book being great.
Massimo
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Julius_ wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 06:10 I've read this book too and I love the adventure part of it. Thanks for the review.
It's an adventure that had profound meanings. Thank you for the appreciation.
Massimo
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Broken Lance by William H Brown
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I appreciate how you tied all the layers of this novel together. It can be read on many different levels. Also good to know that it was professionally edited.
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

diana lowery wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 11:30 I appreciate how you tied all the layers of this novel together. It can be read on many different levels. Also good to know that it was professionally edited.
Yes, I tried to stress the layers' connection because it's a crucial part of the novel.
Massimo
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

I enjoyed reading your review, Massimo! I agree with you that there's only so much you can say about kayaking, biking and hiking, but the author did a good job at including as much variety as he could. I read and reviewed this book too, and I'm also with you on the fact that although it might seem like a celebration of machismo, it's much deeper than that. Thank you for a great review!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

espo wrote: 22 Jan 2020, 06:50 I enjoyed reading your review, Massimo! I agree with you that there's only so much you can say about kayaking, biking and hiking, but the author did a good job at including as much variety as he could. I read and reviewed this book too, and I'm also with you on the fact that although it might seem like a celebration of machismo, it's much deeper than that. Thank you for a great review!
Thank your for your appreciation. The author was great at blending so much in a short novel focusing on what was significant.
Massimo
Bigwig1973
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I laughed so much reading this book! Stupid funny! You may bring up a good point that I kinda missed which is that he did a nice job, as you say, "compensating" for the same general means of transportation. I don't set out to write fiction, so I fear I don't give credit when credit is due - I wrote papers in high school and college, but I think that's a bit different. I'm glad when people point out little things like that! Nice review!
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

Before reading your review, I was already inclined to pick this book up. Now I'm sure I have to. Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”