Review by Jaime Lync -- Last Another Day

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Review by Jaime Lync -- Last Another Day

Post by Jaime Lync »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Last Another Day" by Baileigh Higgins.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Last Another Day: Book 1 in the Dangerous Days Series by Baileigh Higgins is a post-apocalyptic/ horror-thriller set in modern-day South Africa. The story depicts a very credible picture of what would happen if a pandemic zombie infestation were to break out today. Many governments would fail to warn their citizens; people would take the rumours spreading on the media lightly until tragedy hits close to home. Eventually, as the title suggests, survivors would simply hope to see another day during those dangerous times.

The story opens with a riveting scene of Morgan escaping her crazed husband’s vicious attacks, only to realize that the entire neighbourhood has gone mad. She rushes to her parents’ home to safeguard them and her little sister. In the second chapter, the focal character switches to her mom, Julianne, who is also caught off-guard by the zombie apocalypse. As the novel progresses, several other intriguing characters are introduced and used as the focal personas for various chapters. Consequently, the storyline has various sub-plots that the author beautifully intertwines.

I don’t usually read horror-thrillers because I know from experience that they can induce nightmares, especially if read near bedtime. However, after sampling the first chapter, I was hooked on the action-packed, bloody chaos that Higgins portrayed. There are numerous very realistic fatal and near-fatal encounters involving zombie mobs and psychotic survivors. Some of these scenes are more heart-wrenching than others because the lives of characters that you have grown attached to are at stake.

The ease with which I was able to connect with characters on an emotional level, was also a key factor to my enjoyment of this book. Higgins allowed us to become intimate with the character’s thoughts, past, present and hopes for the future. The death of certain characters felt like losing a childhood friend.

This is a novel that I will not soon forget. It was professionally edited as I could not spot any grammatical errors, even though the book was almost 400 kindle-edition pages long. It would be remiss of me not to mention certain trigger warnings. There is a high frequency of profanity throughout the book, but it is not used haphazardly, but rather in scenarios that normally call for strong language. Also, there are two erotic scenes that are not appropriate for minors. Additionally, stillbirth, kidnapping, torture, rape, and murder are all discussed. We are not allowed to forget that zombies were once people, as survivors are forced to kill loved ones, children and even babies.

In conclusion, I rate Last Another Day 4 out of 4 stars. I would have preferred the book much more without the profanity, but I cannot deny that I believe that this book deserves a perfect rating. I would highly recommend this to all mature horror-thriller enthusiasts.

Last Another Day
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

I binged-watched 'The Walking Dead' series quite recently, so I don't think I'll be ready for any more zombie stuff for a while :) Enjoyed reading your review though!
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

Sounds like a great book, thanks for the review. But I'm not good with horror, I'll probably get nightmares after reading this book.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I don't think I would read this book. Reading about Zombie Apocalypse is not my thing. However, your was review well articulated. Great job!
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Brendan Donaghy wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 08:03 I binged-watched 'The Walking Dead' series quite recently, so I don't think I'll be ready for any more zombie stuff for a while :) Enjoyed reading your review though!
Brendan, thanks for reading and commenting on this review. I totally agree with you with regards to taking a break from a genre for a while - it helps you appreciate the genre a lot more when you come back to it.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Ria710 wrote: 17 Jan 2020, 11:10 Sounds like a great book, thanks for the review. But I'm not good with horror, I'll probably get nightmares after reading this book.
Hey Ria, thanks for reading and commenting on this review. like Socrates said, "Know thyself"... It is good to realize that some things aren't for us. I was also hesitant to read the book. I probably will not pick up any more horror in a very long time.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

melissy370 wrote: 18 Jan 2020, 20:31 I don't think I would read this book. Reading about Zombie Apocalypse is not my thing. However, your was review well articulated. Great job!
Melissy, thanks for reading and commenting on my review. I am glad that you enjoyed the review. I agree with you, reading about this subject matter isn't everyone's thing for real.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

This action-packed horror novel sound great. If you're not much into horror and you loved it, then I'll definitely like it too. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

Nice review. This is not a book for me, as I do not like the horror genre at all. But I am glad you liked it.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

A a post-apocalyptic/ horror-thriller set in modern-day South Africa looks interesting to read. I thought of reading this book several times. Thanks for your honest review.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Rayasaurus »

I think this one would be a little too dark and bloody for me. I'm very glad you enjoyed it, though! Thank you for the review!
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I have recently developed a thing for horror genre and I'm glad that your review promises an exciting reding adventure.
Amazing review!
Bet on Me! :idea:
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

This book seems well written and edited, however, profanity won't allow me to enjoy it. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
tlalsterberg
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tlalsterberg »

I personally loved the dangerous days series!
I do love the zombie horror genre. This series was well written. Great character development and storylines. The story moves along at a nice pace which is so important. A lot of end of the world, apocalyptic books can get stuck in places and drag out scenes about a characters mental state, or too many small details about traveling from one place to another... This story stays interesting and really keeps you invested in the characters.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”