Review by sanjus -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review by sanjus -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Sanju Lali »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A woman purchased a piece of land beside a river and built a cabin on it as she was enthusiastic about fly-fishing since her childhood. She was inspired by the book on fly-fishing, which was written by a woman in 1496. Her passion for fly-fishing was fulfilled by having an adobe near a river. At different points of time, she eventually crossed the path of the four other women one by one, and sisterhood developed between them because of fly-fishing, which helped them to unwind the stress from their daily life. How the friendship develops between these women and how the other women learn fly-fishing can be clearly understood by reading the book having the title as The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings.

I read this book with Adobe Acrobat Reader and found 429 pages in it. The story is told from a first-person perspective. Each of these women narrates the story from her perspective separately in different chapters, which gives us almost a complete picture from the multiple viewpoints. The book is a nice mix of a fly-fishing guide and a thrilling adventure story of these women as they go for fly-fishing in the wilderness. Does this story continues uneventful, or are there any twists and turns in the story that affects their lives, all this can be known only by reading the book yourself.

I picked up this book because I wanted to know more about fly-fishing. Initially, I thought the women are fly-fishing to make a living, but after reading the book, I realized that they do it for something altogether different, which I never thought. I figured out that there are some good things as well as bad things in this kind of fishing, but it may be a different thing for the other readers depending upon their perspective of good and bad. The thing I liked the most in this book is the good in-depth details about fly fishing, which can help anyone who wants to learn this art. The story was also so captivating that I was glued to it until I finished the book. The characters were nicely crafted with contrasting personalities and were from different backgrounds.

The thing I disliked the most is the somewhat abrupt starting and ending of some of the important events, which slightly gave me a feeling of getting stranded. However, the logic behind the different incidents in the story appeared to be nicely covered and gave me a satisfactory conclusion later. I felt that there could have been little moderation in Melody’s character’s as it was highly unstable and somewhat dangerous in real life if someone tries to imitate her.

I recommend this book to young adults and the older audience only because some parts of the story may not be suitable for children and teenagers to read, though it is not that graphical or violent. There are lots of risks involved in fly-fishing if it is not done with due care, and it requires to use certain safety-gear, especially, in the waters with swift current and slippery rocks beneath. I suggest that teenagers should take their guardian’s approval for reading the book for this reason.

I do not recommend this book to the readers who hate fishing and also to those who dislike going outdoors like in the wild or countryside. Apart from fly-fishing lessons and a heart-touching emotional story of these women, there is nothing else in this book. When I found only a few grammatical errors, it seemed to me that the editing quality of the book to be satisfactory. Therefore, I stayed on my initial decision to give all the 4 out of 4 stars.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

It is interesting to see a different perspective on a book that I too read and reviewed. I think the difference is in the purpose of reading. If you wanted to learn about fly-fishing then, yes, there is a lot about it in the book.
It is very considerate to warn about Melody's character, although I do not think she is so impressive as to become someone's model. But then, again, I have been young for too long to remember what it was like at the beginning of my perpetual youth age. :) Great review!
Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Rayasaurus »

This sounds like a very interesting book, even though I don't usually do a lot of fishing. Thank you for the wonderful review!
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I also read this book and didn't like the brevity in which the author dealt with some events; I felt that some episodes needed to be developed further.
Thank you for the informative review.
Bet on Me! :idea:
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

Though I had my problems with the novel, I really enjoyed the characters and their relationships. Plus, learning about fly fishing was surprisingly fun. Thanks for the review!
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I agree with you that there was a good mix of fly fishing and adventure. And Melody was not one of my favorite characters either.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I'm glad you were able to find something interesting about the book, but sorry about the abrupt start and end of certain events. I liked the fly-fishing skills highlighted in the book and it made me realize that sports bring people together. Thanks for your review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Thanks for such a thorough review. I read this one a while back, and the reminder was more than welcome.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReneeBrown »

I am deciding on whether or not to read this book. Thanks for the insightful and well-written review!
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

I didn't know anything about fly-fishing when I read the book as well, but it kept me interested because of the characters and the story. Great review!
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Isn't it amazing people from diverse backgrounds and personalities can find level ground on an interesting sport? I also enjoyed this book. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

I also reviewed this book and enjoyed it. I like how you thought about different events in the book differently than I did. I agree with you that I would have liked to see some events more developed. Thanks for the review!
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

I read this book too. I loved the interaction between the girls. Thanks for another perspective of the book.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

I also read this book, It is one huge story. I literally couldn't put the book down. The bond the women shared was intoxicating and i feel in love with the sport instantly. One of these fine days, I hope to actually go fly fishing with my sister after carefully learning the sport first. I also gave this book a perfect rating and enjoyed it so much. Thanks for the fantastic review.
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

This is one of my favorites. I also liked how beautifully the writer delivered the message behind. Frankly, at that time, I also didn't know what is fly-fishing and I know now. Thanks for this amazing review!
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”