Official Review: Chosen: Book One of Between by J.Y. Olmos

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Official Review: Chosen: Book One of Between by J.Y. Olmos

Post by Bianka Walter »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Chosen: Book One of Between" by J.Y. Olmos.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Elizabeth Richards should see huge red flags when her seemingly perfect boyfriend gives her a ring and asks her to marry him with a romantic, “Well? Put it on.” Needless to say, things don’t go very smoothly from there, and Elizabeth finds herself backed into a corner. Until she bumps into (literally) a beautiful mountain of a man, Jason. The connection is instant, from both sides, and Jason helps Elizabeth onto a different path where she can finally be happy.

What Elizabeth doesn’t realise is that Jason is about to lead her onto a path that will change everything she knows about the world. He and his brothers are not exactly what they seem, and she is thrust into a world of magic, ethereal beings, and witchcraft. Chosen, book one of the Between series, guarantees that this series is one to keep in mind!

When I started reading this book, I didn’t realise it had a paranormal element to it. I went a long way through the story before anything out of the ordinary started to happen. I loved the transition. It gave time to allow me to see Elizabeth in a normal life before plunging her into an unearthly world. The author, J.Y. Olmos, took her time to ensure that Elizabeth’s character was solidified before the magic started to happen.

Olmos didn’t only take time with Elizabeth’s character. All of the characters were wonderfully built, and there were definite essential qualities to each of them, making them all distinct. This made the story more enjoyable. The concepts for the otherworldly beings were unique and interesting, setting this novel slightly apart from generic paranormal romances. The supernatural world that Olmos built was effortlessly imaginable and her characters fit there perfectly.

As a romance novel, it has all the textbook moments that make you roll your eyes in case someone is watching, but inside your heart is fluttering. There were cheesy moments, and serious ones. A dose of tasteful erotic content and minor language making it enjoyably raunchy. All in all, it had all the elements I feel are ideal for a paranormal romance, and everything was seamlessly executed.

This book was fabulously edited. I found one tiny error in the entire script which is such a breath of fresh air. I am not a huge lover of romance novels, so I am thrilled to rate this one 4 out of 4 stars. It exceeded my expectations at every turn. I would not recommend this to a younger audience, but to lovers of romance, especially with a supernatural twist. What a treat Chosen was, and I look forward to the second instalment.

Chosen: Book One of Between
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

It's clear the author hit the ball out of the park with this one. While it's not my kind of book, your review has me thinking twice. I might check it out. Thank you for the superb review and recommendation. :D
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

Thanks for the review. I normally don't read romance novels, but this one sounds like it may be worth reading. It sounds like the author did an amazing job.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Hi Bianka! Your engaging review has piqued my interest--not to mention the exceptional character development and excellent editing. Thanks for the recommendation!
Ayesha Emjedi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayesha-emjedi.html
Latest Review: Jane Grace: Library of Light by Trace Sonnleitner

Post by Ayesha Emjedi »

I was looking around for books that may pique my interest, and this was probably the first one that I actually clicked on. It sounds utterly amazing and your review has definitely played a big part on my decision, so thank you. I'll most definitely be checking this one out :D
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Ever_Reading wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 06:36 It's clear the author hit the ball out of the park with this one. While it's not my kind of book, your review has me thinking twice. I might check it out. Thank you for the superb review and recommendation. :D
I didn't think it would be my kinda book either! What a happy surprise :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Miller56 wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 11:31 Thanks for the review. I normally don't read romance novels, but this one sounds like it may be worth reading. It sounds like the author did an amazing job.
I am also not a huge fan of romance novels! I usually find them disappointing, so what a nice change this was :)
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Cecilia_L wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 11:54 Hi Bianka! Your engaging review has piqued my interest--not to mention the exceptional character development and excellent editing. Thanks for the recommendation!
Thank YOU for your comments :)
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Foreverrmore14 wrote: 17 Jan 2020, 12:40 I was looking around for books that may pique my interest, and this was probably the first one that I actually clicked on. It sounds utterly amazing and your review has definitely played a big part on my decision, so thank you. I'll most definitely be checking this one out :D
Well, if you do decide to read it, I hope you enjoy it :) Thanks for stopping by!
- Dr. Seuss
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I love when paranormal beings meld effortlessly with normal. I mean, though I have nothing against being transported into enchanting fantasy lands, I prefer stay-at-home fantasy! You have hooked me on this one. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

I love romance novel, but not very explicit erotic scenes. I think I'll pass this one. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Lizzieitalia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzieitalia.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Lizzieitalia »

What a nicely written review. I didn’t even know “paranormal romance” was a genre! I’m not big into romance novels but after reading your review I’m curious to see how such a book would take shape.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I really enjoyed your great review! :) I love paranormal romance and would definitely give this one a try! A smooth transition between ordinary and paranormal - sounds so intriguing! :)
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Cotwani wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 00:40 I love when paranormal beings meld effortlessly with normal. I mean, though I have nothing against being transported into enchanting fantasy lands, I prefer stay-at-home fantasy! You have hooked me on this one. Great review!
Thanks Cotwani :)
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Julius_ wrote: 20 Jan 2020, 10:10 I love romance novel, but not very explicit erotic scenes. I think I'll pass this one. Thanks for the review.
I totally get that! Thank you for taking the time to comment :)
- Dr. Seuss

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”