Review by Magnify3 -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Review by Magnify3 -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Magnify3 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

At first glance, the title gave me the impression that I was headed on a journey with film making siblings. I could not have been more wrong. The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings is a fiction novel that sets you out on a journey to enjoy the leisure of fly fishing and the outdoor life. It is a story of love, friendship, fly fishing and mentor-ship.

Set in Colorado the story is of five ladies from different walks of life who bond over fly fishing. Sophie, Amanda, Veronica and Rose are a group of women fly fishers. One day whilst fishing near Rose’s cabin they rescue a screaming, naked young lady from the rapid downstream current. They later invite her to join them on their vacation and learn how to fly fish as well. Each one has a story of life challenges, fears and joys. In spite of what they face, they each make time to spend together fishing, leaning on each other for comfort and wisdom.

Told from the view point of each of the five main characters, the novel was the first of its sort that I’d come across. Rose who is the eldest of the ladies is considered a mother figure among them. She is widowed and owns a cabin in the woods. As their mentor in fly fishing techniques,Rose is accepting of each one of the ladies in spite of their differences. She knows how to reach out to them. Sophie is not only single, but also afraid of relationships. She runs her own farm and green house. She is known to take care of everyone else, but herself. Amanda is a young military wife with two small children. She is thrifty and very good at tying her own flies. Her husband is deployed in Afghanistan. So she misses him a lot and tends to carry that burden. Veronica’s ethnicity is of African origin. She owns her own company where she coaches top-level women executive to be better leaders. She is married and has no children. Being a city girl, she is a little too smart for camping life. Melody is of Asian origin. She is a teenager, a little Gothic and has plenty tattoos. She is a talented photographer, plays musical instruments and is not too close to her parents. These ladies must go through a storm, how will they look at life after it?

The book is divided into ten sections that are filled with chapters that are narrated by the ladies.The first page of each section is titled with a brief insight into fly fishing. These sections are: (1) Gearing up, (2) Fly fishing in a river, (3) Little rivers, (4) Sharing, (5) Practice, (6) A perfect cast, (7) The joy of going solo, (8) Striking , Playing and Landing, (9) Catch and Release, and (10) The present and years ahead- Ethics and manners.

What I liked most about the book was learning that fly fishing is a recreational sport. It is a type of fishing where one does not necessarily catch the fish to eat it, but instead release it later. I also liked imagining the way the ladies cast their lines. The characters seemed believable. Veronica doesn’t like to use a hole as a toilet. Amanda needs the fly fishing weekends as me-time away from her children. Sophie is defensive of not having a love life. Lastly, there was a lesson in knowing that we cannot keep hurts in our hearts. We have to let them go.

What I didn’t like was the inconsistency in the text. It was bold and then non-bold throughout the book. Sometimes a word could have a few letters that were bold whilst the rest were not. Sometimes the change in text could be noticed mid sentence. It was quite distraction. I also didn’t enjoy reading of ladies swearing.

I would rate the book 3 out of 4 stars due to the inconsistencies of the text. On the whole it is a worthwhile read. If you are interested in a new outdoor sport or just love the outdoors it is definitely a book you could read.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

This book caught my eye for some time. I've never heard so much about the plot until reading your review, and I'm glad I did. It sounds like a great tale with so many perspectives. Definitely going to try it. Thanks for the review!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a book with great character development. The idea of fishing doesn't appeal to me, but the stories of the women would be interesting. Thanks for the wonderful review!
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I am glad you enjoyed the book, but sorry that the text was messed up. The version I read on my Kindle was fine. Nice Review.
Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Rayasaurus »

It's unfortunate that the formatting was a little wonky, but I'm glad you liked the book overall! Thank you for the review.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 »

Laura Bach wrote: 11 Jan 2020, 04:44 This book caught my eye for some time. I've never heard so much about the plot until reading your review, and I'm glad I did. It sounds like a great tale with so many perspectives. Definitely going to try it. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for taking time to read my review. Happy to have helped you make a decision. I do really hope that you get a chance to read and enjoy the book.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 »

Prisallen wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 17:03 This sounds like a book with great character development. The idea of fishing doesn't appeal to me, but the stories of the women would be interesting. Thanks for the wonderful review!
Stories of women are normally inviting 😉 I understand you on the fishing part 😊 I don't really mind it. I do mind the fly fishing part though!
Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 »

diana lowery wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 17:10 I am glad you enjoyed the book, but sorry that the text was messed up. The version I read on my Kindle was fine. Nice Review.
Wow! So happy for you that the Kindle version was fine. I guess that investing in a Kindle will be helpful. Thanks for stopping by!
Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 »

Rayasaurus wrote: 14 Jan 2020, 21:04 It's unfortunate that the formatting was a little wonky, but I'm glad you liked the book overall! Thank you for the review.
Yes...it was unfortunate. However, it was a good book. Thank you for taking time to read my review!
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

I've also read and reviewed this book. The author's writing style , through each character's perspective was awesome. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 »

Julius_ wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 14:57 I've also read and reviewed this book. The author's writing style , through each character's perspective was awesome. Thanks for the review.
I totally agree with you. Thank you for taking time to read my review and add a comment.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”