Official Review: centered in the heart by Sameer Zahr

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Official Review: centered in the heart by Sameer Zahr

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "centered in the heart" by Sameer Zahr.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Centered in the Heart: A Journey of Love, written by Sameer Zahr, is a poetry book divided into three parts. The first part has no title; the second is intitled “Poetic Prose,” and the third part is called “Wisdom.” With less than a hundred pages, it is a fast and light read – a book to savor during a lazy weekend.

The author praises nature, love, music, and beauty in his poems. Spirituality is also a frequent underlying topic. These core themes were what I liked the most about Zahr’s book. I also enjoyed how the poems, especially the ones in the first part, have a paced, rhythmic, almost musical quality to them. Most have 4-line stanzas, some have 2-line stanzas, and the lines usually follow a pleasing pattern. For instance, in “I Yearn,” every line begins with “I yearn to” and a verb.

A thoughtful image accompanies each of the poems, which I appreciated. In “Innocent Love,” there’s a picture of a lovely little girl; in “My Olive Tree,” we see a picture of a majestic olive tree in a beautiful and bucolic property, with chairs underneath it. From the contents of this poem, one can infer it depicts a place that is very dear to the author.

Another positive point is that several of the poems appeal to the senses. “A Walk on the Beach” begins: “I sink my feet on the soft sand/I inhale the gentle breeze with open heart/I trickle with water flirting my toes.” It feels like you’re there with him!

The third part of the book was my favorite, for it dealt with some everyday life issues such as work, success, failure, parents, and relationships. Zahr is clearly a man of faith, and he values God’s role in our daily lives. Several poems allude to God; I particularly liked “Peace,” in which the author explores the relationship between peace and God. He also dedicates one to Buddha, called “Siddhartha and Me.” In it, the author imagines having a conversation with Buddha.

In closing, I was pleasantly surprised by Centered in the Heart, and I gladly rate it 4 out of 4 stars. It seems to be professionally edited – I did not find any errors in it. It’s a beautifully written collection of uplifting, inspiring poems, and it manages to put you in a meditative state. I, for one, felt relaxed and peaceful after reading it. The author successfully sends a message of peace and joy throughout the whole book. I recommend it to readers who enjoy poetry, especially if they appreciate soothing themes.

centered in the heart
View: on Bookshelves
Amberlily
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberlily.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Amberlily »

Sounds lovely. I always find poetry that speaks about the troubles of everyday life so uplifting. It's hard to make it out there as a poet today, but it seems that this author has managed to get their foot in the door.
Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Rayasaurus »

I think I would prefer the third section overall for its everyday topics. I'll have to skip this one though; I don't usually read poetry collections. Thank you for the review!
tsic
Favorite Book: The Mindset
Currently Reading: The Queen of Xana
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsic.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant

Post by tsic »

Zahr's poems seem to be very meaningful. His appreciation of nature, love, music, and beauty through poetry is encouraging. Great to also know that the author is a man of faith, and values God’s role in our daily lives. Thanks for the informative review.
"A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.”
Salman Rushdie
mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 »

Amberlily wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 15:27 Sounds lovely. I always find poetry that speaks about the troubles of everyday life so uplifting. It's hard to make it out there as a poet today, but it seems that this author has managed to get their foot in the door.
Rayasaurus wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 16:00 I think I would prefer the third section overall for its everyday topics. I'll have to skip this one though; I don't usually read poetry collections. Thank you for the review!
tsic wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 10:33 Zahr's poems seem to be very meaningful. His appreciation of nature, love, music, and beauty through poetry is encouraging. Great to also know that the author is a man of faith, and values God’s role in our daily lives. Thanks for the informative review.
Thank you very much for reading and commenting. I appreciate it!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author does have a captivating writing style. The quote from "A Walk on the Beach" makes you feel the sand and the breeze at the seaside. These poems sound peaceful and appealing.
mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 »

kdstrack wrote: 14 Jan 2020, 20:17 The author does have a captivating writing style. The quote from "A Walk on the Beach" makes you feel the sand and the breeze at the seaside. These poems sound peaceful and appealing.
Yes, indeed. A welcome moment of peace in our lives, isn't it? Thanks for commenting. I appreciate it!
Domcarey504
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Domcarey504 »

Overall, my favorite was probably the third section . I’m life, you succeed and you fail . It is relatable in life . No matter who you are the third section applies to us all . Lovely overall . Best of luck .

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”