Review by diana lowery -- The Reel Sisters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by diana lowery -- The Reel Sisters

Post by Diana Lowery »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When you fall asleep reading in bed at midnight, but wake up at 3:00 AM so you can read some more, you know the book is a winner. The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings is the "real" deal. I was first drawn to this book by the fact that my maiden name is Cummings, by the fact that I had tried fly-fishing before, and by the fact that I am a fan of A River Runs Through It by Norman Maclean. I found other connections as I read: a teacher (I was one), the Arkansas River in Colorado (I did a white water raft trip there), and the appendix has a link to Fly Fishing Retreats for women recovering from breast cancer (I am a survivor). Another connection I like is the frequent scenes where drinking red wine is involved. What's not to love?

The blurb on the book describes four women who discover a body while fly-fishing. My anticipation increased as I read. I kept wondering when the four women would find the naked girl in the river. The writer methodically introduces all the female characters. Each chapter is narrated in the first person by a different woman. Cummings uses direct and indirect characterization to unveil the unique individuals who form a friendship through fly-fishing. It isn't until the reader is familiar with the four women that the fifth character is discovered floundering in the rapids. Each character's life is changed, and Cummings shows how the change relates to learning to become a fly fisher. This quote by the main character Rose summarizes that philosophy: "Like the river transforms the land, the bond of friendship can transform your life. Trusting the currents, navigating the terrain, and figuring out how to read the water are all skills that take patience, time and love." By the end of the book, each of the women has acquired those skills both in the sport and in life.

Another aspect that I enjoyed was the use of quotes at the beginning of some chapters. Starting with Henry David Thoreau and ending with a tidbit from the L.L. Bean Ultimate Book of Fly Fishing, these passages give an air of authenticity to the fictional story.

The one minor criticism concerns the abundance of dialogue. There was one text conversation that covered more than three Kindle pages of one or two-word quotes with no narration. Also, I sometimes had trouble deciding who was speaking.

This book deserves 4 out of 4 stars. Despite the tedious dialogue, The Reel Sisters is a quick, wonderful read full of adventure and emotions. I did not notice any grammatical errors which increased my reading enjoyment. This would be a perfect choice for a book club and should appeal to both men and women.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

Thanks for a great review! You helped me understand and appreciate this book more than when I first read it. :D
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Thanks for that compliment. It was a bit hard to keep up with the characters and settings some of the time.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

The book is a real deal. I enjoyed the bond of love the women had for each other. The most scary part for me is where a body was discovered in the river. I'm glad you enjoyed reading the book.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

Seems like a spectacular book. I'm really curious to read it now. Thanks for the great review!
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

SomeoneInTheWorld wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 12:46 Seems like a spectacular book. I'm really curious to read it now. Thanks for the great review!
It will keep you entertained - a great lay on the beach and read book.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

SomeoneInTheWorld wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 12:46 Seems like a spectacular book. I'm really curious to read it now. Thanks for the great review!
Thanks for commenting. I hope you like it.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Nerea wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 11:58 The book is a real deal. I enjoyed the bond of love the women had for each other. The most scary part for me is where a body was discovered in the river. I'm glad you enjoyed reading the book.
I enjoy books where the characters form a tight bond, and this one did. Thanks for commenting.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Juliet+1 wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 17:26 Thanks for a great review! You helped me understand and appreciate this book more than when I first read it. :D
Thanks for that compliment. It was a bit hard to keep up with the characters and settings some of the time.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

I have read this book and enjoyed it, hope you too enjoyed. Thanks for your honest review that shares your perspective about this book. This book is really a example to show the value of bond of sisterhood.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Rayasaurus »

I’m glad you liked this one so much! Waking up in the middle of the night so you can read more is definitely an indication that you love the book. I definitely have to pick this book up; I’ve read a lot of really good review. Thank you for the review!
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Rayasaurus wrote: 14 Jan 2020, 10:20 I’m glad you liked this one so much! Waking up in the middle of the night so you can read more is definitely an indication that you love the book. I definitely have to pick this book up; I’ve read a lot of really good review. Thank you for the review!
Thank you for your comment. I waited a long time before selecting this book, but I am happy that I finally chose it.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

sanjus wrote: 14 Jan 2020, 02:14 I have read this book and enjoyed it, hope you too enjoyed. Thanks for your honest review that shares your perspective about this book. This book is really a example to show the value of bond of sisterhood.
Thank you for commenting.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

Great review! I like your writing style. It is indeed a good book. I'm glad the Kindle version was better than the one I had.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

The relationship between the girls was fantastic! Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”