Official Review: Praying for Hope when it's Hopeless

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Official Review: Praying for Hope when it's Hopeless

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Praying for Hope when it's Hopeless" by Isabella Milan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Praying for a Miracle when it’s Hopeless by Isabella Milan is a book about surviving stage IV metastatic breast cancer. Isabella thought she had it all. She was happily married to a loving man, lived in a doctor’s mansion, and was a doting mother to her young son. Then, everything changed when she was diagnosed with terminal breast cancer. She suddenly found herself severely debilitated with metastases to her brain, confined to a wheelchair, separated from her child, and going through a divorce from her cheating husband. Once on top of the world, she was now completely stripped of health, beauty, and her once happy family. Today, she is in remission. This story is about Isabella’s journey that allowed her to overcome her diagnosis and the challenges life threw at her. Her strong connection to God and the mental and emotional techniques she utilized are all shared in these pages. If you’re facing this deadly disease, she understands. She’s been there. She overcame it, and you can too.

This woman is incredibly strong, but she also lets you in on every moment of weakness she ever experienced. I read this book because my own mother is dealing with the same diagnosis, and it’s a challenge every day sometimes just to get through it. The future is uncertain, but Isabella shares that recovery is possible, no matter what your doctors tell you. Some of the things she went through were unbelievably harsh and cruel. She was abandoned by her husband and left to die when she needed him the most. It would have been so easy for her to give up and give in to her disease, but she didn’t. She used prayer and her son as motivation to get well, and although it took her years to achieve health and get her life back, she did it.

I recommend this book to anyone fighting terminal breast cancer and their family members. Although her book seems to be aimed primarily at women with breast cancer, her techniques, advice, and story could benefit any cancer patient. This book is also beneficial to people who lack a supportive family, as she did. She can relate to the feelings of isolation and the way relationships with so-called friends change once they learn of your diagnosis. This book was beneficial to me as a family member of someone with metastatic breast cancer, because I go through the same challenges of hopelessness. I need positivity in order to keep my mother positive. Her words are encouraging and her survival is something we all want to achieve, so I highly recommend this book.

There were some minor errors through-out the book which can be easily edited. Overall, the book looks professional and aims to help women understand what this diagnosis means and how to cope. She provides detailed information about statistics, staging, and prognosis in one chapter, and inserts diagrams here and there that were clear and legible. Faith, prayer, positivity, meditation, exercise, and determination to survive are all things she credits as tools for healing.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Isabella is a caring individual who wants you to survive. She overcame impossible odds and is now sharing her journey with you. She didn’t give up, even when she couldn’t walk and needed to be cared for like an invalid. She regained her mobility, survived cancer, and conquered every challenge that came her way. Her book is a message of hope to those who may have lost it.

Praying for Hope when it's Hopeless
View: on Bookshelves
Y0landa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-y0landa.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by Y0landa »

This book is so inspiring. I really admire Isabella! Her great example of strength and faith could be applied to other difficult moments people encounter in life. I'm so glad she decided to write her own motivational story as it can help others going through their own battles. Excellent message! Never lose hope! I enjoyed reading your review, thank you!
Jennifer1999
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jennifer1999 »

To me I think it means lot of experience wish significant stress , struggle in life and almost everything meaningful experience in life I like it
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

This sounds like an uplifting book. I couldn't imagine being in Isabella's shoes. I like that she was strong in her faith in God and believed despite the odds. Thanks for the review!
Philly Shanty
Currently Reading: The Girl in the Yellow Scarf
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philly-shanty.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Philly Shanty »

We never know how strong we are until we are faced with the worst of situations. I'm tempted to read this but I also don't want to cry. I'll just wait and see what happens. Thanks for the review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Your words highlight the author's determination to overcome her prognosis. I'm happy to see that she talks about her faith as well as her weaknesses. I enjoyed your insightful review and look forward to reading this book.
tsic
Favorite Book: The Mindset
Currently Reading: The Queen of Xana
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsic.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant

Post by tsic »

I applaud Isabella Milan for the courage to live and share her testimony. She went through a very difficult time but never gave up. Her book must be inspiring judging from this informative review.
"A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.”
Salman Rushdie
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

This sounds like an extremely powerful story. I don't know if I could make it through such an emotional book, but I do know friends I can recommend this to. Great review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Irene_A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-a.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by Irene_A »

Love a good book of hope and overcoming life's obstacle. Having a family member with the same diagnosis is a reason I'd want to read this book too. Thanks for the review.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

A testament to how strong you can really be when life throws a punch and tries to knock you down. Great review.
AvocaDebo621
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

I can't even imagine how hard it must have been to keep up her morale throughout this hellish ordeal. She is an inspiration for all and she is remarkable for having the grit to finally make it through. Her story needs to be known to all and I for one, will read it ASAP. Wonderful review about a beautiful book. Thank you! ❤️🤗
Islam ali
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Islam ali »

:techie-studyingbrown:
Life is a lesson.! A great inspiration.
Excellent message.
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by Twylla »

As a breast cancer survivor myself, I was thrilled to see this book as the Book of the Day. I love the survivial techniques at the end. Thank you, Isabella, for this inspired gift that you have given the world. I will read this book cover to cover, probably several times. I would love to see this book in print format that I could give to cancer patients that I visit in the hospital.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

It's bad enough to get diagnosed with cancer. But to be told it's terminal while also divorcing a cheating husband seems like a lot for one woman to endure. I'm glad to see she came out the other side.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an inspirational biographicsl memoir on surviving metastatic breast cancer, divorce, and the positive thoughts, hope and determination. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has an interesting OnlineBookClub review. Congrats @isabellamilan77 on the BOTD.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”