Official Review: Not So Bad - From The Bronx to Beverly H...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Official Review: Not So Bad - From The Bronx to Beverly H...

Post by LV2R »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Not So Bad - From The Bronx to Beverly Hills" by Lawrence N. Field.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In his late eighties, Larry Field is still working full time and enjoying the real-estate business. He states in his memoir of Not So Bad—From The Bronx to Beverly Hills: “Real estate is still the easiest business to go into, at any age, and build a substantial equity.” (location 9690)

In his memoir, Field not only shares his tips and business practices in real estate but also lessons he has learned and ethical behaviors obtained through his many jobs and life experiences. His parents were both poor Hungarian Jewish immigrants who moved to New York in the early 1920s. He was born in 1930 during the Great Depression and began working as a box boy at age eleven in his father’s neighborhood store. From box boy, busboy, and soap seller to law school, renting apartments, partnerships, and starting his own real estate company, Field shares his successes, as well as his failures, in his entertaining memoir.

The author described his childhood growing up in The Bronx, his parents, college and army life, and his many different work experiences. He also included famous people he has met and people who were his partners in business. I best liked the lessons he learned along the way. Some of the earliest lessons he learned as a boy was to take care of other people’s property and to never steal or do anything that might seriously injure another person. These were Field’s practices he carried out throughout his life in business affairs. I like that Field shared his philosophy about money and the things he values. I also like that he included things about his wife, her character and influence on him, and adding things about his two daughters’ lives and accomplishments.

The author used easy-to-understand language about real estate and gave some great tips and insights into the business. For anyone interested in getting started into real estate, this book would be of great value. People who like to read memoirs and personal, as well as business stories, would enjoy this book. Field’s family and friends would like this book the very best since it is a detailed book on Field’s life, family, and business experiences. People not interested in real estate and who dislike memoirs would like this book the least.

Though the author is a millionaire, he did not come across as being arrogant. Instead, he came across as someone with integrity and one who I would gladly do business with if I had an opportunity. I rate Not So Bad—From The Bronx to Beverly Hills by Lawrence N. Field 3 out of 4 stars. One star was deducted because of the over ten comma and hyphen errors. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and would gladly give it a four-star rating if the book would undergo another round of editing. There was nothing that I did not like about the book. Although I would prefer if the chapters had been numbered. It deserves a three-star over a two-star rating because of personal anecdotes, humor, and some useful tips on the real-estate business. The advice given on real estate could be implemented in any business or entrepreneur endeavor.

Not So Bad - From The Bronx to Beverly Hills
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I think this would be a great book for anyone wanting to succeed in real estate; it sounds like the author has some great tips to share with readers. Thanks for the engaging review!
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

Thanks for the review. I am not sure I am interested in reading it, but I think this sounds like a great book for those interested in working in real estate.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Many people have had great success in real estate. It would be interesting to read this author's perspective. I think the humor he injects into the story would keep it from becoming too technical. Thanks for the recommendation.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Real estate is a difficult thing for me to get into but Fields sounds like quite the fascinating man. I'm sure other readers would agree and I do hope the book finds the audience it deserves.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
mosekim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mosekim »

Lawrence N. Field brings a memoir that shows that where you started from does not matter. According to this review it is clearly about what you love. I love reading memoirs. This one might be a good catch for me. Great review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”