Official Review: A clash of conscience by James G. Skinner

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 508
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Official Review: A clash of conscience by James G. Skinner

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A clash of conscience" by James G. Skinner.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sometimes, relationships can falter for many reasons, whether they are known or unknown. One of the results of a poor or strained relationship is cheating. James G. Skinner understands this concept perfectly, resulting in the creation of A Clash of Conscience.

The story features Jenny, a young woman who is fresh out of college and is working as a teacher in Iran. While there, she meets Juan Miguel. She falls in love with him, and the two get married. During their marriage, Jenny and Juan Miguel move all over the world due to “business reasons”. Jenny never questioned his motives and moved with him wherever they needed to go. She learned later that he is an agent for the Spanish secret service.

Everything seems to be going well until the inevitable happens. Juan Miguel gets an incurable disease. This disease caused a severe personality change in him, and Jenny becomes heartbroken and depressed. She becomes close with Ramon, the social worker that is assigned to her and Juan Miguel’s case. What will become of her and Juan Miguel? How will Jenny and Ramon’s relationship affect Jenny’s marriage?

When I read the first twenty pages of this book, I was not impressed with the grammar. There are many errors in just those twenty pages that it was difficult to pay attention to anything else. In the Table of Contents section, Chapter 7 is missing. I also noticed that there were many instances when the wrong word was used in a sentence. An example of this is the word “new” is used in place of “knew”. The author uses many fragments throughout the book as well. Many times, I wasn’t sure what the author was referring to, because there was either no subject or no verb.

I also feel that the description of the book is misleading. The author says that it is based on Jenny’s regrets about her and Ramon’s relationship. In the first part, readers can see that Jenny is regretting her choice. But then the book goes into her marriage and adventures with Juan Miguel. The section about Jenny and Ramon is so short that I don't think that it needs to be a part of the description. I also think that the author added too many topics into one book. Removing the section about Ramon and Jenny or changing the description may have been a better option.

In its current state, I cannot recommend this book to any reader of any age. To be honest, there wasn’t anything that I could find that I enjoyed about it. Based on the grammatical errors, I do not believe that it was professionally edited. Regrettably, I rate A Clash of Conscience 1 out of 4 stars. I cannot rate it a 2 because the plot was so hard to follow, and there was so much going on that readers may not enjoy the sporadic changes throughout the book. I think that this book has potential but needs to be edited so it can have a chance to receive a higher rating.

A clash of conscience
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

Thank you for your detailed and honest review. The plot does seem interesting from what you described however I trust your recommendation!
Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Rayasaurus »

The premise sounds interesting; it's so unfortunate that the mechanics weren't in place and the description wasn't backed up by the book. Thank you for the review!
Kaitlyn Canedy

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

Magnify3 wrote: 10 Jan 2020, 03:08 Thank you for your detailed and honest review. The plot does seem interesting from what you described however I trust your recommendation!
Thank you very much for your response! I really hoped that the author would have focused more on what I thought was the plot. Hopefully, he takes the advice given and improves this work, as I think that it has much potential. :)
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Kaitlyn Canedy

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

Rayasaurus wrote: 10 Jan 2020, 17:02 The premise sounds interesting; it's so unfortunate that the mechanics weren't in place and the description wasn't backed up by the book. Thank you for the review!
Thanks for your feedback! The description not matching kind of irritated me a bit, and I tried to find something to enjoy about it in all honesty. I just couldn't seem to do it. I hope the author takes this into consideration next time. :)
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

This sounds like a story with plenty of potential. It's a shame the author dropped the ball on this one, but there's always a next time, I suppose. Thanks for the honest review!
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I hope the author will implement your recommendations and take this novel back to the drawing board.
Thank you for your honest review!
Bet on Me! :idea:
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

This seems like a well founded relationship that was initially built on genuine love but the scourges of illness have caused it to break. I really would like to read it. Thanks for the nice review.
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

Thank you for your honest review. I absolutely agree with you that book descriptions may be extremely deceptive at times, and this is something that needs to be addressed. Great job with the review here!^^

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”