Review by NetMassimo -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival u...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Review by NetMassimo -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival u...

Post by NetMassimo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is a fantasy novel set in a world where magic exists. Galen Bray is a young man who has the chance to get away from a land devastated by war after receiving an inheritance from a great uncle. He travels to Magnum Caelum, which seems a peaceful city in the kingdom of Voulhire. The Riva Rohavi rebels are barely kept from invading Voulhire and are a constant threat. On an island, an extremely powerful wizard is kept prisoner, can his jailers keep him locked up?

This is the first book of a fantasy saga. It seems a classic form of fantasy, with a setting that has a medieval flavor. It's actually a multiverse, in the sense that a universe hosts the kingdom of Voulhire's world and another universe, called Caromentis, is full of magic. Spells can open a gateway to Caromentis, take magic from it, and use it.

What impressed me in the beginning of this novel were its characters. Matthew Tysz skillfully uses details to describe their actions, moods, feelings, and emotions. Even minor characters seem alive, and the important ones have a great development.

Some subplots are started to introduce characters and different places of that fictional universe. There's more introspection than action, so the pace can be slow. My attention remained focused thanks to interesting reflections and vivid descriptions. Every page offers something interesting such as introducing a mystery, telling information about a character's backstory, telling some piece of history of a place, and so on.

The result is complex, but it can be suitable for teenagers ready for something sophisticated. Sexual references are really mild, and the occasional profanities are what an average teenager hears every day. That doesn't mean Matthew Tysz avoided difficult themes: for example, Lord Eldus investigates an alleged pedophile. All of that might be too much for pre-teens but I think it's suitable for teenagers and older readers.

Note that this novel can be considered a big prologue because it sets the subplots in motion but has no real ending. That means there's a point in reading it only if you want to go on and read its sequels. It certainly stimulated my desire to go on because I found it engaging, intriguing, and well written.

This is the first part of a bigger story, so my judgment regards in part its potential, which seems remarkable thanks to the world-building job done by Matthew Tysz. The author proved you don't need to reinvent the wheel to create and excellent product. My rating is 4 out of 4 stars because of the novel's interesting contents and the professional editing. If you're ready to start a whole fantasy saga, I recommend this one.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ciao :)
Massimo
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

a fantasy novel set in a world with influence of magic seems to be quite relaxing read. Hope you had good time reading this book. Thanks for your insightful review though.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

sanjus wrote: 30 Dec 2019, 02:23 a fantasy novel set in a world with influence of magic seems to be quite relaxing read. Hope you had good time reading this book. Thanks for your insightful review though.
Indeed I enjoyed this novel. Thank you for your appreciation.
Massimo
Y0landa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-y0landa.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by Y0landa »

I'm glad you scored it 4 out of 4 stars because I had already chosen to read this one, so I'm happy to hear it's great and well written. Thanks for your excellent review! It's nice to hear the character development is quite good, as it makes reading more enjoyable. Looking forward to this!
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Y0landa wrote: 05 Jan 2020, 14:53 I'm glad you scored it 4 out of 4 stars because I had already chosen to read this one, so I'm happy to hear it's great and well written. Thanks for your excellent review! It's nice to hear the character development is quite good, as it makes reading more enjoyable. Looking forward to this!
If you like this genre, I'm sure that this novel will make you want to read its sequels!
Massimo
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I read the book. And true, the world-building is incredible. I dropped the series due to the magical aspect portrayed in the book. I couldn't stand that feature. Thank you for your well-crafted review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Nerea wrote: 11 Jan 2020, 02:38 I read the book. And true, the world-building is incredible. I dropped the series due to the magical aspect portrayed in the book. I couldn't stand that feature. Thank you for your well-crafted review.
Magic is a central aspect of that fictional universe, or multiverse. If you don't like it, it's understandable that you dropped this series.

Thank you for the appreciation.
Massimo
Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Rayasaurus »

I love character development, especially when it's more than just the main character who has it. Thank you for the review!
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Rayasaurus wrote: 11 Jan 2020, 12:45 I love character development, especially when it's more than just the main character who has it. Thank you for the review!
This novel has various important characters, and they have important developments I expect will continue in the sequels, so it suits your taste.

Thank you for the appreciation. :)
Massimo
Nehal Mitna
Favorite Book: The Champagne Tales
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nehal-mitna.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nehal Mitna »

Very well written review I must say! Hope to read more from you.
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Nehal Mitna wrote: 07 Aug 2020, 01:50 Very well written review I must say! Hope to read more from you.
Thank you for your appreciation! :-)
Massimo
MichClem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michclem.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by MichClem »

I liked this review, the prologue gives the reader a heads up. Letting them know there is more to come.
The Holy Grail
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-holy-grail.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by The Holy Grail »

Yes, the characters were well-developed. I loved reading the book since it was fantasy-intense. Nice review!
Ace John
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ace-john.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Ace John »

This seems a book I might like. You have explained it well that I know what to expect from it. Nice review!
Jesus is Lord.
(Romans 10:9)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”