Official Review: Once Bitten by Bill Hansmann

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Official Review: Once Bitten by Bill Hansmann

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Once Bitten" by Bill Hansmann.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We all know that there is no such thing as a perfect crime. However, criminals often believe that would be the one to pull off the perfect crime. Dr. Jerry Simons is one such person. He brutally murders his wife, Michelle, and frames her lover, Keith Michaels. Keith is convicted and put on death row. No one believes his innocence except his sister, Diane Morgan. Diane hires Mike and Linda Atkinson to prove the innocence of her brother. Will the Atkinsons be able to save Keith and bring justice to the guilty?

Once Bitten by Bill Hansmann is an absolute page-turner. In the very beginning, the reader gets to know the real killer. However, this does not put a damper on the excitement. The reader is put on the edge every time the Atkinsons try to free Keith and implicate the real killer. The writing style is absolutely thrilling. Hansmann reveals a new aspect at every point. This is my favorite thing about the book.

The author did a great job at characterization. I loved the way he portrayed Jerry Simmons’ character. His psychopathy and absolute lack of human emotions were starkly showcased. Hansmann brilliantly incorporates the details of his past life in the narrative. Despite this, Hansmann makes no attempt to justify Jerry's behavior at any point. I like the way he brings in the character of a psychologist to analyze the behavior of Dr. Simmons. This makes Jerry Simmons a well-rounded antagonist. The Atkinsons were also fleshed-out characters. The author gives us their background stories. This helps the reader to understand them better. I loved their bond with their children, Mikey and Anna. One of my favorite bonds in this book was between Keith and Diane. When nobody believed in Keith, Diane did. She never gave up. This portrayed the strength of their relationship. I have to say that all the characters are well-developed.

If I had to point out one con about the book, I would have to point out the presence of errors. I did find nine errors. However, most of the errors were extremely minor. For example, the errors included missing punctuation marks or wrong punctuation. This did not affect my reading experience in the slightest.

Keeping in mind the pros and cons, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I loved the book and the minor errors do not warrant a deduction in the ratings. I recommend this book to lovers of detective mysteries.

Once Bitten
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Rayasaurus »

This sounds like an absolutely thrilling book! I’m glad the characterization is good; that can make or break a book for me. Thank you for the review!
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Rayasaurus wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 07:49 This sounds like an absolutely thrilling book! I’m glad the characterization is good; that can make or break a book for me. Thank you for the review!
You are most welcome and thank you for stopping by. :D

It is a thrilling book. I hope you like it after giving it a try.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Wow! It's hard to keep a novel engaging and interesting once the big mystery, the killer, in this case, is revealed. So this must be a very talented writer. The character development seems remarkable and I have to admit I love reading about psychopaths and diving into their psychology.
Thanks for a compelling review!
mosekim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mosekim »

Detective mysteries is good one for me. Seeing also what I like to experience in real life from the relationship of 'Keith and Diane'. The book is a go for me
xoxoAnushka
Favorite Book: "Better dead than divorced"
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xoxoanushka.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by xoxoAnushka »

This book reminds me of 'Better dead than divorced'. Amazing review!
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3 by Michael Richey
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

This review has me hooked already. I like the character development and the talent of an author to be able to keep the suspense up despite revealing the identity of the killer is fascinating.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
adamgreenrock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamgreenrock.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Post by adamgreenrock »

A crime novel that revealed the killer right away and has family relationships being well developed and characterized well? That's really interesting. Thanks for your review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”