Review by spirituallove -- The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
spirituallove
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirituallove.html
Latest Review: The Judge part 1 and 2 by Ian RB Morris

Review by spirituallove -- The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by spirituallove »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The MECE Muse" by Christie Lindor.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor is a comprehensive guide in which the ever-evolving art of consulting is explored in its entirety. The book is split into three sections and covers over one hundred selected practices, unwritten rules, and habits of great consultants. Although The MECE Muse is aimed primarily at those who are already within or seeking to enter the consulting industry, many of the insights in this book are also relevant to professions outside of consulting.

Lindor’s no-nonsense writing style makes the The MECE Muse an extremely practical and straightforward guide. The book’s preface contains the author’s top five insights about the consulting profession. I like how each insight is briefly summarised and also includes a reference to indicate which chapter to consult for further information. Each of the twenty-one chapters begins with a thought-provoking and inspiring quote which subtly hints at the content theme for the chapter. The thoughtful layout of this book makes it easy to engage with. The use of clearly labelled diagrams and illustrations works well to highlight the ideas in the text. Parts of the text are interspersed with bullet points. Further to this, some of the most noteworthy points are capitalised and set apart from the main text to emphasise their importance.

Since consulting is not my field, I particularly like Lindor’s use of a simple analogy which defines what the job entails: “I usually use the example of a business doctor when people ask me what I do…I help diagnose problems just like a doctor would. I start out with a full examination and help provide a path forward to remedy the problem.” The MECE Muse gives readers an authentic perspective into the consulting industry via the inclusion of various consulting leader stories. These stories are relayed through a ‘fireside chat’ style interview at the end of every chapter.

Overall, I rate The MECE Muse 4 out of 4 stars. I struggle to find anything I dislike about it. This book is unique in that it’s author addresses all aspects of the consulting lifestyle. As well as offering sound business advice, Lindor also suggests effective strategies to achieve and maintain a healthy work-life balance. As far as I can see, there are no errors and this indicates professional editing.

I would definitely recommend this book to all those aspiring for a career in consulting and also those consultants who would like a refreshing perspective on their profession. I would hesitate to recommend The MECE Muse to those who prefer operational roles in a business.

The MECE Muse
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”