Official Review: Songs from Ugly by Heather Ricks

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Official Review: Songs from Ugly by Heather Ricks

Post by gen_g »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Songs from Ugly" by Heather Ricks.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Having had a painful and traumatic childhood due to bullying, Heather Ricks turned to writing fictional short stories as catharsis. The final product, titled Songs from Ugly: Discovering Chords of Beauty, is a collection of six short stories with three author’s notes interspersed throughout; the book covers a variety of themes, such as outer-versus-inner beauty, racism, and emotional healing.

A brilliantly structured compilation, the fictionalised stories are arranged in chronological and thematic order: first, we see how Ricks handles her memories of being bullied as a child for being unable to adhere to societal norms of physical beauty; next, she speaks about the racist atmosphere that pervaded her childhood community; and finally, we learn how she worked through her issues and eventually recovered. Each section flowed seamlessly and beautifully into the next, and the holistic reading experience definitely touched me deeper than if I were to read each section separately.

To be frank, I have never come across a book that is so powerful, evocative, and emotional; in addition, the fact that Ricks is able to draw out such a wide spectrum of emotion in a mere 140 pages is even more spectacular. She is obviously talented at storytelling, and I think knowing that the short stories draw heavily on her personal experiences only increased my appreciation of her work.

Moreover, with Ricks’s descriptive ability, the images, sounds, and atmosphere in all of the stories were conveyed with startling clarity. In fact, I found my own emotions rising and ebbing according to the climaxes and dips of each story. It was almost an out-of-body experience – that was how immersed I was. When the main characters were suffering from psychological pain caused by their family members’ inability to practise empathy, my heart clenched. Thereafter, when they managed to overcome these obstacles and come to terms with their true selves, my heart soared.

Not only were the descriptions top-notch, Ricks’s discussion of the themes present in the stories were also deep and thought-provoking. For example, in “Colour of Redemption”, which tells the story of a girl’s grandmother narrating to her the story of the murder of a white pastor by a coloured man, Ricks cleverly subverts the underlying racist assumption by having the grandmother reveal an earth-shattering truth (which I wish I could reveal but cannot, since it is a major spoiler). Hence, with this revelation, the reader is forced to question their innate assumptions about race. This aspect certainly made me appreciate the book even more.

In summation, it should be obvious by now that I thoroughly loved reading Heather Ricks’s Songs from Ugly: Discovering Chords of Beauty, and the book undoubtedly deserves a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. My one and only gripe is that this collection is too short; I would love to read more stories from Ricks. I found a couple of very minor, almost imperceptible, punctuation errors, such as misplaced commas and missing hyphens. Nonetheless, in no way did these errors detract from the flow, clarity, and beauty of the writing. In fact, most of the book was very well edited. Also, if I could, I would recommend this book to everyone who has not read it, but for the sake of specificity, there are some mentions of abuse, rape, bullying, and minor religious references for those who are sensitive.

Songs from Ugly
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

It’s a great testimony to a book when you don’t want it to end. Thank you for a wonderful review.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
gen_g
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

MsH2k wrote: 09 Jan 2020, 01:13 It’s a great testimony to a book when you don’t want it to end. Thank you for a wonderful review.
It is, isn't it? Thank you for leaving a comment. (:
Frannie Annie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frannie-annie.html
Latest Review: Loneliness in the Pocket by Graeme Stuckings

Post by Frannie Annie »

Wow this sounds amazing, and I always use more books to help me heal. This is going on my future bookshelf!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author's experiences clearly impact her captivating stories. I loved how you described the writing style. Thanks for the amazing analysis of this book.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Frances019 wrote: 09 Jan 2020, 13:15 Wow this sounds amazing, and I always use more books to help me heal. This is going on my future bookshelf!
Thank you for your comments, and I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did!
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

kdstrack wrote: 09 Jan 2020, 18:29 The author's experiences clearly impact her captivating stories. I loved how you described the writing style. Thanks for the amazing analysis of this book.
I agree! I'm glad that you could tell that I enjoyed it very much as well. Thanks for your comments!
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This sounds like a really emotional collection. I admire the author's ability to tap into her pain and create such a meaningful group of stories. Thanks for a beautifully written review!
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

unamilagra wrote: 09 Jan 2020, 21:17 This sounds like a really emotional collection. I admire the author's ability to tap into her pain and create such a meaningful group of stories. Thanks for a beautifully written review!
It definitely was, and I really enjoyed the collection. Thank you for stopping by to leave a comment!
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I would love to read this! Writing that comes from such raw emotions is always powerful. I would most likely read this in one sitting. Thank you for reviewing!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

This one is different in terms of both the writer's inspiration for writing this and the idea. I think it is impactful. Thanks for the review!
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Letora wrote: 10 Jan 2020, 20:39 I would love to read this! Writing that comes from such raw emotions is always powerful. I would most likely read this in one sitting. Thank you for reviewing!
I hope that you get a chance too! (And I'm sure you'll enjoy it very much.) Thank you for stopping by! (:
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Ekta Swarnkar wrote: 10 Jan 2020, 23:05 This one is different in terms of both the writer's inspiration for writing this and the idea. I think it is impactful. Thanks for the review!
Indeed, it was very insightful. Thanks for stopping by! (:
Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Rayasaurus »

This collection of stories sounds absolutely wonderful; I’d love to read it! I love reading stories that emphasize inner beauty versus outer beauty. Thank you for your review!
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Rayasaurus wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 11:13 This collection of stories sounds absolutely wonderful; I’d love to read it! I love reading stories that emphasize inner beauty versus outer beauty. Thank you for your review!
I hope that you get a chance to and enjoy it as well. Thanks for stopping by to leave a comment!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”