Official Review: So You Think You Can Write? by Julia McCoy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Theresam
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresam.html
Latest Review: Why Do We Quote? by Ruth Finnegan

Official Review: So You Think You Can Write? by Julia McCoy

Post by Theresam »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "So You Think You Can Write?" by Julia McCoy.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

So You Think You Can Write? by Julia McCoy is a very interesting and informative guide to online writing. Ms. McCoy is an experienced and successful content writer. She shares her wealth of knowledge with readers in a well-organized format. Readers can benefit immediately from her experience as she explains this field for beginners and advanced writers. Anyone interested in online writing can benefit from this book.

Ms. McCoy explains complicated concepts and topics in a manner that is easy to understand. She defines industry terms like fat head and long tail to enable readers to use these tools to advance their writing careers. It is important when creating online content that readers can search topics and find your articles. She shows readers how to create content that accomplishes this goal. She also includes links to websites and articles to assist readers in expanding their knowledge after reading her book. The insight she provides from how she began her company to how she hires writers to work for her provides valuable information to any aspiring writer. Once she explains how to write exceptional content, she explains how to market yourself and find paying writing assignments.

I really enjoyed reading this book. The quality and quantity of information provided in this book is exceptional. Any aspiring writer, regardless of level of experience, could benefit from this book. I learned a lot about writing online content and searchable words that will get an article noticed. She even explains how to write headlines that will come up frequently in online searches. It can be overwhelming for aspiring writers to know how to begin the process of marketing themselves. Ms. McCoy presents the information and explains the best course of action based on her experiences.

I especially appreciated the author’s discussion of payment for writing assignments. To have an experienced content writer provide valuable advice on the sensitive topic of payment is beneficial for any writer. Throughout the book, the author generously shares her experiences and provides candid advice that is helpful for writers who are just beginning their careers. For example, how to create a portfolio of writing samples and guest blogging were valuable tips for beginning an online writing career that are excellent starting points for new writers.

The author shares her knowledge and experience to the benefit of anyone that reads this book. She includes an appendix with links on where to learn more about becoming a content writer. Her writing style is easy to understand. I didn’t see any errors in this book, I believe it was flawlessly edited. I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in starting a new career of online writing or expanding upon an existing writing career.

So You Think You Can Write?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

shannonkate8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonkate8.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by shannonkate8 »

This DEFINITELY seems like my kind of book! As someone who is hoping to further their own writing career, this seems like a must read as she appears to touch on subjects most people avoid, like payment and online searches. Definitely hoping to read this now.

Theresam
Currently Reading:

Post by Theresam »

shannonkate8 wrote:
12 Jan 2020, 00:39
This DEFINITELY seems like my kind of book! As someone who is hoping to further their own writing career, this seems like a must read as she appears to touch on subjects most people avoid, like payment and online searches. Definitely hoping to read this now.
I think it would really benefit anyone who is interested in a writing career. She was very candid in her advice and seemed very happy to share her experiences.

Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: Managing With Respect
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Walks of Life by Doug Wheat

Post by Rayasaurus »

This sounds like such an incredibly useful book! I've always wanted to do some sort of online writing, so I'll have to grab this book. Thank you for the review!

Theresam
Currently Reading:

Post by Theresam »

Rayasaurus wrote:
12 Jan 2020, 16:08
This sounds like such an incredibly useful book! I've always wanted to do some sort of online writing, so I'll have to grab this book. Thank you for the review!
It really was interesting. I wasn’t aware of all of the options out there for writing as a career.

Irene_A
2019 Reading Goal: 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-a.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Irene_A »

Love the title of the book and will be saving this on my bookshelf for future read. Who would not want to improve their writing as a writer? I defintely would. Thanks for the review.

mosekim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mosekim »

Never have a read a book review of one of my heart wishes and pursuit this new year. Online writing is the real deal in these times. It is a must read for me and definitely going to be a page-turner. Thank you for the review!

xoxoAnushka
2019 Reading Goal: 1
Favorite Book: "Better dead than divorced"
Currently Reading: That Guy What Kill Topsy
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xoxoanushka.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by xoxoAnushka »

:drool: :techie-studyinggray: I am definitely intrigued by reading your review. This is going to be on my TBR list.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”