Official Review: Westcoast Legacy by Ian Kent

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Official Review: Westcoast Legacy by Ian Kent

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Westcoast Legacy" by Ian Kent.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The setting of the story is primarily in Fort Victoria and the areas surrounding Vancouver Island in the second half of the nineteenth century. Margaret Manson and her dear brother, Kenneth Cameron, had gone to meet the head secretary of the Hudson Bay Company to finalize their travel plans. Their initials plans had been canceled, but her brother managed to secure space for her and her two sons on another ship with the valuable help of the head secretary. They were scheduled to travel in a week. Her husband, Adam Manson, and other colonist settlers had already left for the new British territory aboard the Falmouth one week before.

Margaret’s spirit was fired by the promise of change. However, she did not anticipate all that would befall her during the journey and after settling in their new home. A romantic affair developed rapidly between her and the captain of the Shanghai Lady, Mark Holland, during their long journey. It was after two months that her well-founded fears were positively confirmed. She was expectant. Will Mark get to hear about this? What is she going to do once she arrives at Fort Victoria? What will be the fate of her marriage? Will they survive the formidable challenges presented by the unfamiliar world?

Westcoast Legacy is a historical fiction book that was authored by Ian Kent. This is a story about the early settlers in Victoria and the west coast of British Columbia and the hunt for the Spanish gold. The author developed a captivating and enthralling story by perfectly interweaving the history of the early settlers and the local hunt for the gold. The book is 398 pages long and consists of 71 short chapters.

This is a story about survival and extraordinary heroism. Both natural and man-made difficulties that seemed insurmountable had to be conquered. Margaret was an independent and strong-willed woman who seldom gave up once she started pursuing any cause. Thomas and Andrew, her two sons, were also extremely supportive and hardworking. Margaret, however, had her weaknesses as well. Unlike Mark, she was used to making rash decisions. The other secondary characters were brilliantly developed also. In addition to this, the plot was excellently built too and as follows it was easy to follow the story.

What I liked most about the book were the periodic twists and turns that renewed my eagerness to continue reading. I immensely enjoyed the fact that these twists and turns seemed to occur during moments when I thought the narration was flat. The plot was also unique and enthralling since it was my first time reading about the Spanish treasures that were hidden in a cave. The conversations were also lively and realistic, and this made it easy to be inside the incredible story. There is nothing I disliked about the book.

The language employed in the book was straightforward. Editing was professionally done as well. Therefore, I soundly rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I heartily recommend it to fans of historical fiction books. I don’t think this book is suitable for children because it contains a few sexual innuendos. They were not graphic, though.

Westcoast Legacy
View: on Bookshelves
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

The mention of hidden treasure reminded me of the treasure quest for Solomon Mines.
I must admit that your excellent review couldn't do more to invite me to read the book.
Well done!
Bet on Me! :idea:
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Sounds like a lovely read. Especially the part about the story having those twists that blow breeze into your sails every time you start getting bored with the flat narration. I am always down to read good Historical fiction, once it doesn't exceed 400 pages, so this book is something I might consider.
Thanks for sharing, and great job on the review.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Thanks for the comments on the review. I hope that you will enjoy reading the book.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

Well done, Kibetious. Westcoast Legacy seems to be a good book. :tiphat:
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

LinaMueller wrote: 02 Jan 2020, 08:08 Well done, Kibetious. Westcoast Legacy seems to be a good book. :tiphat:
Thanks a lot for the wonderful comment. I hope you will consider reading it.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I didn't know about Spanish treasures in that part of the world either. One thing about historical fiction is that it can often be quite educational. I enjoyed your thorough review.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I do enjoy historical fiction when it is well written, and this one seems to fit in that category. I am going to try to take a look at it. Thank you for the great review!
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 02 Jan 2020, 08:18 I didn't know about Spanish treasures in that part of the world either. One thing about historical fiction is that it can often be quite educational. I enjoyed your thorough review.
Thanks a lot for stopping by. I believe one thing that these historical fiction books have done in my life is to make me curious to know more about our history. I hope you will enjoy reading this.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Prisallen wrote: 02 Jan 2020, 12:26 I do enjoy historical fiction when it is well written, and this one seems to fit in that category. I am going to try to take a look at it. Thank you for the great review!
Thanks a lot for stopping by and for the positive comment on the review. I hope you enjoy reading the book.
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Historical Fiction”