Official Review: Elite Nation by H A Rockley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Official Review: Elite Nation by H A Rockley

Post by Adedayo+23 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Elite Nation" by H A Rockley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Arielle has only ever known life as a commoner bound to serve the Elites. She has no memories of her life before she was forced into this lifelong servitude. Ever since The Old War and the resulting nuclear fallout, The Founding Family established a new nation of Elites, Sub-Elites, and commoners.

Unlike the other commoners, Arielle is special. She was born with the power to heal. Against her will, Arielle’s purpose has been to serve the Elites who visit The Holly-Oaks Centre of Beauty and Wellness, with her ability to keep them young and healthy. Arielle’s existence is limited to the confines of the beauty centre, and as such, she is unaware of others like her in the outside world. Known as magi, these individuals are born with the ability to manipulate the elements, including the earth, wind, water, and fire.

Arielle’s world is suddenly turned on its head the day her only friend at the beauty centre is taken from her. Shortly after that, she escapes the centre and meets The Assassins - a team on a mission for a rebel group known as The Underground, who seek to dismantle the Elites in power. Unbeknownst to the group, a deadlier enemy is about to rise to power - one determined to form a new human race with the DNA of those with special abilities like Arielle.

Free at last, Arielle discovers a world different from what she has known her whole life. She also discovers something else, something much darker, something threatening to destroy those she has come to hold dear; healing isn't the only thing she’s capable of doing.

Elite Nation by H. A. Rockley is a fast-paced and captivating novel set in a future dystopia, the result of a disastrous nuclear fallout. The story picks up right from the first page, with a pace that gradually gathers momentum as the plot progresses. There are adequate plot twists to maintain a steady suspense level, and the concise writing, richly detailed scenes, and well-developed characters made for an easy entertaining read. What I loved most about the book was how the vivid portrayal of events lent it a certain undeniable cinematic appeal.

On the downside, although the book ended on a tantalizing cliffhanger to make way for a second installment, I would have preferred if a measure of plot resolution had been worked into the story. However, this is a matter of preference and does not necessarily detract from the quality of the book.

There were a few editing issues that prevent me from awarding Elite Nation the maximum rating - mostly grammatical and typographical errors. These can be easily rectified with another round of careful editing. I rate Elite Nation 3 out of 4 stars. This book is suitable for readers of all ages, especially youngsters who enjoy action-packed futuristic science fiction.

Elite Nation
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

Ugh! I hate cliff hangers at the end of books! I like your description, though. It sounds like an interesting book. Thanks for the review!
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review!! You sold this book to me for the most part - the premise sounds super intriguing. I would also appreciate some sort of resolution at the end of a book even if it seeks to build hype for the sequel.
Thanks for sharing.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Cliffhangers are annoying, but they don't keep me from reading the book. This one sounds right up my alley. I love the classes, and the main character sounds fabulous. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

This sounds like a great book. I don’t mind cliffhangers—I’ll just make up my own ending if I don’t get around to reading the next book. :D Thanks for your review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Rayasaurus »

I'm not a fan of cliff hangers as endings to books, but this description is just so good that I might just have to read this one anyway!
FEislandqueen13
Currently Reading: The 19th Bladesman
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feislandqueen13.html
Latest Review: Doomsday by R. L. Gemmill

Post by FEislandqueen13 »

I love this book already. :)
Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
:eusa-think: :eusa-think: :eusa-think:
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I don't mind series, but I hate when books end on cliffhangers. Each book should be fully self-contained. But otherwise, this does sound like a really interesting world with great characters.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”