Review by juanawunderkind -- The Spirit of Want

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
juanawunderkind
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juanawunderkind.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Review by juanawunderkind -- The Spirit of Want

Post by juanawunderkind »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Spirit of Want" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Spirit of Want is a fiction novel by William H. Coles, featuring a very attractive lawyer named Lucy, the daughter of A.J. and Agnes.
It all starts with a ceremony held by A.J. to open up a new eye institute. Luke, A.J's colleague decides to leave and hitches a ride from Lucy. Along the way, they got involved in an accident and Lucy was charged with manslaughter for hitting a woman.

Six months later, Lucy and Luke had a secret wedding and during their honeymoon, she was selected to take up a lead defense of an evangelist, Bain Hower, who was accused of rape. However, she got romantically involved with the evangelist while in the process of searching for the truth about rape accusations. This led to losing her job as well as being disinherited by her father. She therefore went to Ghana to be with Hower.

After sometime,she returned to Georgia where she faced rejection from her colleagues and relatives. She got help from her friends in California where she relocated to.
Luke and Lucy got divorced and Hower approached Lucy to convince her to go back to him in Georgia. She agreed and went back but luck was not on her side as she began to face troubles again.

First of all, I admire how Williams H. Coles changes the scenes where the reader gets to know what's happening in different places at the same time. For example, the reader gets to know what was happening in Georgia when Lucy was in Ghana.

I also admire the use of many vocabularies which tend to broaden the minds of the readers and to polish up their fluency in English.
The Spirit of Want is also educative as it focuses on the dangers of making decisions in a rush or before investigating thoroughly. Lucy wouldn't have married Luke if she had taken to know him and to know if her feelings for him were true.

The book was carefully edited since the typos were very minimal and cannot be traced easily. However, it was a bit confusing in some conversation parts. For instance, where Lucy and Fenly Cooper were debating on the legalization of marijuana. I would suggest that the identities of the people engaged in a conversation to be written occasionally or to be written in different lines to avoid such confusions in the future.

Therefore, I confidently rate this book 4 out of 4. This is because the book was very interesting and the plotting was unique. The book is also educative and projects what people usually encounter in their day-to-day lives.
Since there were no erotic scenes, I would recommend the book to any reader irrespective of age, but mostly to the young adults.

The Spirit of Want
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”