Review by Sarah Tariq -- One Way or Another

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Review by Sarah Tariq -- One Way or Another

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

[Following is a volunteer review of "One Way or Another" by Mary J. Williams.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Love is a formidable force. At least, it was true for the Benedict girls. One Way or Another: A Friends to Lovers by Mary J. Williams is the first book in series that follows the story of four independent, wealthy, strong sisters (Andi, Calder, Bryce, and Destry), and their mother Billie. Though they had witnessed the vicissitudes of life; however Billie, licentious by nature, was least affected by all. As being the first in series, the book follows Calder’s story.

The four sisters shared the same mother and four different fathers. On one side, they had to deal with Billie’s self-centered nature; on the other side, their fathers’ apathetic attitude developed in them a kind of cynicism towards men, as they can’t be trusted. Unconsciously, this outlook also hindered them to find the right match for themselves. Only Mrs. Finch was a good alternative for their mother who looked after their needs. Despite having enough inherited wealth, each sister was successful in her domain. Erica’s Angel was Calder’s multi-million successful charity organization to help needy children. But what she lacked was the true love. By luck, he found a man Adam Stone, who could be his dream man. Can she trust him? How will Benedict sisters deal with the propounding threat of Billie’s new love? Would they be able to cope with the haunting inheritance issue? Readers will discover all of these answers in this fascinating story.

The book is a nice blend of love, humor, deceive, and class division themes. The story primarily centers on Calder and Adam’s love. I like Calder appears as a strong woman who unlike other rich women is committed to wisely use her time and money. Whereas, Adam is a self-made person whose general behavior towards women is positive, the quality that Calder likes the most. Their genuine outlook towards life overlapped the apparent differences in their background and united them together in a love bond. As Adam says, “I need you to understand. Take away everything, I’ll still be here. Because of you. Always you.” So it was their inner beauty that connected them beyond class divisions.

More to say, the narrative is engaging and the story alternates between the first and third-person perspectives. Marry J. Williams beautifully articulated each character in the story. Their sweeping conversation draws the readers’ in. Furthermore, the cordial relationship between sisters and Calder’s conscious approach towards finding a mate makes this story crisp. Among the peripheral cast, the character of Adriana Stone (Adam’s mother) was the most solid and appealing to me. There is nothing to dislike in the book. Billie’s non-serious nature, the vibrant role of each sister, and the loving connectivity between Adam and Calder makes it an impressive read. Indeed, it’s a page-turning book. Even so, the ending remains a bit cliffhanger; however, it was interesting and surprising. I would like reading the next books in the series.

On the whole, One Way or Another is a compelling romance story with some bitter and sweet relationships that not only entertain readers but maintains the element of surprise as well. Additionally, as compared to other romance stories, graphic portrayal of intimate scenes is comparatively low. Still, I won’t recommend it to readers under eighteen. The book is professionally edited as I didn’t found any serious grammar or editing issues. Owing to its interesting plot, I am pleased to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Through this romance story, the author lightly unveiled some ugly truths of class division and juvenile issues and parenting impacts on their children. I would recommend it to anyone who likes contemporary romance stories.

One Way or Another
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This sounds like an interesting series. I liked how you explained the attitude the girls have developed due to their parents' influence. The other issues add depth to the romance. Thanks for your amazing insights!
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

I read and reviewed this book too a while ago and I relate so much to everything you said in your review. I enjoyed this book strongly too. Thanks for the great review!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

kdstrack wrote: 31 Jan 2020, 22:43 This sounds like an interesting series. I liked how you explained the attitude the girls have developed due to their parents' influence. The other issues add depth to the romance. Thanks for your amazing insights!
Thanks for commenting, kdstrack!

📕📖📰📓📕
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I likked Mrs Finch availability to tend to the needs of the girls. She truly was like a mother to them. I enjoyed reading the book. And the story reminded me that not all relationships are genuine. You did great in your review. Thanks.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Bles
Currently Reading: Dance of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bles.html
Latest Review: Nettie Boo by Judy Adams Brown

Post by Bles »

I read this book and I must confess that it was so interesting. I loved the relationship between the sisters. They had different fathers but the bond they shared was too strong to be broken. Amazing review.
Books are beautiful.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Nerea wrote: 10 Feb 2020, 00:24 I likked Mrs Finch availability to tend to the needs of the girls. She truly was like a mother to them. I enjoyed reading the book. And the story reminded me that not all relationships are genuine. You did great in your review. Thanks.
This book is more than romance. Thanks for commenting!

📕📖📰📓📕
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Reading your review reminded me of when I reviewed this book. I actually went on to read the other books in the series. Thanks for jogging my memory. The book is a nice, easy read, but it also has some good messages as you pointed out.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Bles wrote: 10 Feb 2020, 03:23 I read this book and I must confess that it was so interesting. I loved the relationship between the sisters. They had different fathers but the bond they shared was too strong to be broken. Amazing review.
Yeah, their relationship is the beauty of this book. Thanks for dropping a comment, Bles!

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

diana lowery wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 16:42 Reading your review reminded me of when I reviewed this book. I actually went on to read the other books in the series. Thanks for jogging my memory. The book is a nice, easy read, but it also has some good messages as you pointed out.
Thanks for commenting, Diana!

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”