Review by Mmg8464 -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Review by Mmg8464 -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Aan Granados »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Man Mission: Four Men, Fifteen Years, One Epic Journey is about four friends who envision to go on a yearly adventure trip to escape from the stresses of their daily lives. The four are Sam, Daniel, Alec, and the unnamed storyteller I presume is based on the author Eytan Uliel, an extensive traveler himself and a lawyer like the character.

The plan was “to go to a food and outdoor activity trip, where they would do something wild and crazy and wouldn’t have to shower or shave for a whole week.” Wild and crazy indeed. They go off the beaten path and push themselves to the limit physically. They hike, cycle, climb and go sailing and white water rafting. They eat exotic foods from exotic places like Iceland, Japan, New Zealand, Korea, Peru, and Vietnam. Rules and rituals were created along the way like eating a large steak after each trip, and the one who “whines” will wear a pink bracelet. The four Australian men did this on a span of fifteen years. As you may have guessed this book is full of testosterone where the boys with big egos are “doing guy things and being real men”.

I love how the story flows and the author does a good job in describing the scene that I feel that I am with them on every journey. I feel the excitement, anxiety and their discomfort and pain when injured and when they all got sick because of the high altitude going to Machu Picchu. I laugh at their antics and most of all, enjoy the exotic places that make me want to travel and see for myself and add them to my travel bucket list. The narrative goes back and forth from their trip to the backstories of their normal city lives. You would see them get married, change jobs, have babies, and later on even get divorced, lose a loved one, have a mid-life crisis and all other personal and professional triumphs and drama. Through it all, the bond of these four friends remains strong and steadfast.

This is not only a travel adventure story but also an emotional journey of man’s realizations in growing up, finding himself, facing trials and accepting the realities of life. That life, like hiking, is full of ups and downs, and sometimes you are injured but you need to get up again and again. Sometimes, the going gets tough but it is worth it when you reach the top. That one should not be afraid of change but to live in the moment and live fully.

What I liked about this book is that the characters are realistic and they each have their own unique personality. They have dreams of success and of having the perfect family. They are driven but make mistakes like every human being and they are the typical men who act like children sometimes. Having said that, I am amazed at their attitudes because of how they think and act, which really validates the saying that "Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus". I mean, you wouldn't see women laugh when their friend rolls down a cliff or call them pathetic when they limp because of an injury. What I disliked is that I feel the "macho mentality" is a little over-the-top.

I recommend this book to those who enjoy light reading and travel stories. Do not expect suspense or espionage. This seems to be professionally edited and I am confident that readers will find this enjoyable to read as I did. I am happy to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Man Mission
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

I love traveling and hearing about other people's adventures. This book sounds right up my alley. However, I agree that at times the characters might be a bit too macho. Thanks for the review! I look forward to reading the book.
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

I love it when you can connect with characters in a story. It makes them so much more enjoyable. Great review!
Spencer Mack
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I honestly don't know that I could handle the testosterone overdose this book seems to contain, but I would enjoy watching their antics and what they get up to while 'away from their normal lives.' It sounds like a quite enjoyable read. Thanks for the review!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I love to travel, and I love to read books about other people's travels; therefore, I would probably enjoy this book. Thank you for the recommendation!
MustaHarleen
Currently Reading: Warrior of Shadows: The Final Battle
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mustaharleen.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by MustaHarleen »

At first, I thought this is a Sci-Fi but now I understand what its all about. It is an amazing book featuring masculine adventures. The actions of the four men are crazy but sometimes you need to be crazy to experience life to the fullest. Thanks for a wonderful review.
Aan Granados

Post by Aan Granados »

tristenb wrote: 25 Nov 2019, 11:15 I love traveling and hearing about other people's adventures. This book sounds right up my alley. However, I agree that at times the characters might be a bit too macho. Thanks for the review! I look forward to reading the book.
You'll definitely enjoy this if you love traveling. Yes, if the main characters are all men, expect silly macho antics. Thanks for dropping by.
Aan Granados

Post by Aan Granados »

spencermack wrote: 25 Nov 2019, 11:30 I love it when you can connect with characters in a story. It makes them so much more enjoyable. Great review!
Thanks for stopping by. The characters are really great and funny.
Aan Granados

Post by Aan Granados »

Kelyn wrote: 08 Dec 2019, 03:36 I honestly don't know that I could handle the testosterone overdose this book seems to contain, but I would enjoy watching their antics and what they get up to while 'away from their normal lives.' It sounds like a quite enjoyable read. Thanks for the review!
It is enjoyable. Especially if you like traveling or reading about other exotic places.
Aan Granados

Post by Aan Granados »

Prisallen wrote: 19 Dec 2019, 13:29 I love to travel, and I love to read books about other people's travels; therefore, I would probably enjoy this book. Thank you for the recommendation!
You won't regret reading this book, especially if you love traveling.
Aan Granados

Post by Aan Granados »

MustaHarleen wrote: 20 Dec 2019, 05:24 At first, I thought this is a Sci-Fi but now I understand what its all about. It is an amazing book featuring masculine adventures. The actions of the four men are crazy but sometimes you need to be crazy to experience life to the fullest. Thanks for a wonderful review.
I agree about the craziness, on both counts. Thanks.
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

The idea about not taking a shower reminds me of an anonymous famous quote that states, "Disciplined men shower everday but principled men shower when it is necessary."
Hilarious right...?
Thank you for the thorough review.
Bet on Me! :idea:
Aan Granados

Post by Aan Granados »

Kanda_theGreat wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 03:50 The idea about not taking a shower reminds me of an anonymous famous quote that states, "Disciplined men shower everday but principled men shower when it is necessary."
Hilarious right...?
Thank you for the thorough review.
Haha. Hilarious indeed! Only men will look forward to not having to take a shower for a week!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”