Official Review: The Apothecary by Patricia Simpson

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Official Review: The Apothecary by Patricia Simpson

Post by katiesquilts »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Apothecary" by Patricia Simpson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Apothecary is the first book in Patricia Simpson's Londo Chronicles trilogy, although it takes place in a world she first created in her novella The Marriage Machine. The year is 2525 and the city of London has been reduced to the most basic of technology and a ration system that keeps its citizens in line. Everyone must follow strict rules set forth by the Overseers, the only reason that humanity has managed to survive as long as it has in the wake of nuclear war.

Joanna and Eva lost their parents when they were young. Being the older sister, Joanna has always worked hard to provide for her younger sister, forgoing life's simple pleasures to put food on the table. She's ecstatic that all of her hard work will end soon, as her sister will be getting married, matched to a man she won't even know until his name is called in front of the Marriage Machine, a steampunk contraption that supposedly awakens a couple's fertility. However, Eva's tryst with her lover has put her bright future in danger. Her lover, sick of the Overseers' rules and regulations, makes a stand and sets off a chain of events that have ramifying effects on the city and on Joanna in particular, as she comes face-to-face with an Overseer who begins to carry more than a passing interest in her.

The Apothecary has the perfect blend of a steampunk setting, political imbalance, character development, and romance. Joanna is the most likable and realistic heroine I've had the pleasure to read about in a long time. She is not the only character to undergo major development, but her changes are gradual and, even for the reader, the most liberating. It felt so good to see her blossom from a mousy goody-two-shoes who only cared about her sister to an independent woman who was not afraid to break the rules and make decisions based on her happiness and not the happiness of others. Although the book's setting itself is deliciously fantastic, in my opinion, Simpson's strongest talent lies in her characters.

Despite the book having over 450 pages, I got sucked in and flew through it in less than a week. I have to say, I was surprised by the number of minor errors and inconsistencies I found. This is not Simpson's first novel, so I was expecting a cleaner copy. The most common issues were hyphen misuse and a lack of consistency between Silas' and Silas's. Other than the editing issues, I had no complaints.

If it weren't for the minor inconsistencies, I would have no problem giving The Apothecary 4 out of 4 stars. I can only give it 3 out of 4 stars, but I would highly recommend it to romance lovers who enjoy steampunk settings, the paranormal, and strong female leads. This is the first book in a trilogy and the next book will focus on Eva, Joanna's younger sister. Although Eva was not my favorite character, I've fallen in love with Joanna and the world she lives in, so I will definitely be giving the next book a read.

The Apothecary
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I do enjoy good romance novel. However, I not a huge fan of books that are set in future. You did great with this review, and I am sure many readers will give it a chance. If for anything than for realistic heroine.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
katiesquilts
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 11:14 I do enjoy good romance novel. However, I not a huge fan of books that are set in future. You did great with this review, and I am sure many readers will give it a chance. If for anything than for realistic heroine.
Although it's set in the future, it's very much like Victorian England! There's a distinct lack of technology if that helps change your mind.
Read1+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-read1.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Read1+ »

This sounds quite interesting. I look forward to meeting Eva and Joanna. Thanks for the review.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Steampunk is always a good way to explore romance and the Marriage Machine concept reminds me of Superman for some reason? I really like it and I might just check it out.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
shannonkate8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonkate8.html
Latest Review: Ivan and the Silver Seeds by Ivy Lin and Walter Sattazahn

Post by shannonkate8 »

I love a good romance novel. Especially one that you can snuggle in a blanket and read non-stop, though the dystopian setting that seems to be appearing more and more in books is hindering my want to read this particular one.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”