Official Review: The Acadia Files by Katie Coppens

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Official Review: The Acadia Files by Katie Coppens

Post by Tomah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Acadia Files" by Katie Coppens.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What is global warming? Why do things float or sink? What makes a sled travel farther? These are some of the many questions inquisitive young minds might be compelled to ask. Luckily for them, Katie Coppens’ The Acadia Files: Book Three, Winter Science provides the answers in a simple and fun way. The title is the third one in The Acadia Files series of popular science books for children.

The story follows Acadia, her family, and her friends as they explore how the world works through everyday situations they come across during winter. There are five chapters in total, each covering a different theme: global warming and carbon footprint, buoyancy and atoms, aerodynamics, animals’ survival strategies for winter, and friction.

Every topic is well-researched and presented in an engaging way that instantly hooks the reader. As a science and English teacher herself, the author lists resources for further learning at the end of the book that can help teachers and students alike. I was particularly impressed by how detailed Acadia’s breakdown of her carbon footprint was.

At the end of each chapter, there are sections that provide even more information to the reader. Two recurring sections are “New Science Words,” which introduces scientific terminology in simple terms, and “Things I Still Wonder,” which features questions from Acadia that stimulate the reader’s mind and promote further investigations.

Keeping children’s attention while teaching them new things can be a challenging task, but The Acadia Files magnificently combines fun characters, analogies, and humor to pull the reader into the world of science. Illustrator Holly Hatam also did a phenomenal job with her lovely drawings, diagrams, and graphs.

The only minor problem I saw was that Acadia asks how the periodic table works in one of the “Things I Still Wonder” sections, but the reader hasn’t been introduced to the periodic table in the first place. It makes more sense to talk about what the periodic table is before asking how it works.

The Acadia Files is an excellent tool for getting children invested in science. The book is also exceptionally edited, as I’ve found no errors whatsoever, so I confidently rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend the book for children aged ten and above, especially if they have some interest in science. I wouldn’t recommend it for smaller children since they might have a harder time with the concepts and terms. There are no profanities or inappropriate content.

The Acadia Files
View: on Bookshelves
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This seems like a fabulously entertaining yet educational book. I love the takeaways (terms and such). I don't think it's for me as I'm not the right age. Thanks, though. I enjoyed your review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

This sounds like a great book for getting the little ones interested in science. I'm glad it was well-researched and covers topics children should be learning about. Thanks for the informative review!
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Ever_Reading wrote: 18 Dec 2019, 02:02 This sounds like a great book for getting the little ones interested in science. I'm glad it was well-researched and covers topics children should be learning about. Thanks for the informative review!
kandscreeley wrote: 17 Dec 2019, 20:20 This seems like a fabulously entertaining yet educational book. I love the takeaways (terms and such). I don't think it's for me as I'm not the right age. Thanks, though. I enjoyed your review.
I think even adults could find the book interesting and even learn a new thing or two. Thanks for the comments!
MustaHarleen
Currently Reading: Warrior of Shadows: The Final Battle
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mustaharleen.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by MustaHarleen »

This sounds like an intriguing book to teach children science. I definitely want to sample it after reading your wonderful review. Thanks and congratulations.
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

MustaHarleen wrote: 19 Dec 2019, 08:34 This sounds like an intriguing book to teach children science. I definitely want to sample it after reading your wonderful review. Thanks and congratulations.
Indeed, I believe you'll enjoy it if you're a fan of science (or even if you aren't). Thanks for the comment!
MustaHarleen
Currently Reading: Warrior of Shadows: The Final Battle
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mustaharleen.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by MustaHarleen »

Tomah wrote: 19 Dec 2019, 08:49
MustaHarleen wrote: 19 Dec 2019, 08:34 This sounds like an intriguing book to teach children science. I definitely want to sample it after reading your wonderful review. Thanks and congratulations.
Indeed, I believe you'll enjoy it if you're a fan of science (or even if you aren't). Thanks for the comment!
Actually, I am a fan. You are welcome.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I agree that it can be hard to attract children to science, and this book seems to educate in an interesting way. Thank you for the wonderful review, as always!
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Prisallen wrote: 19 Dec 2019, 12:27 I agree that it can be hard to attract children to science, and this book seems to educate in an interesting way. Thank you for the wonderful review, as always!
I believe anyone can learn to appreciate any subject if they're taught in the way that resonates with them the most. Thanks for the comment!
AtomicEye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atomiceye.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by AtomicEye »

This is definitely something I would get for my daughter. I think it's wonderful when kids are interested in learning.
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

AtomicEye wrote: 29 Jan 2020, 02:51 This is definitely something I would get for my daughter. I think it's wonderful when kids are interested in learning.
I hope your daughter enjoys it if you end up getting the book. Thanks for the comment!
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Okay. This is very nice. Getting kids into science can be tricky, but tying it into a fun, entertaining story with Acadia seems like a good way to do it.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Nisha Ward wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 20:29 Okay. This is very nice. Getting kids into science can be tricky, but tying it into a fun, entertaining story with Acadia seems like a good way to do it.
In a way, kids are natural scientists, with their curiosity and all. This seed just needs to be properly fostered. Thanks for the comment!
Amy747
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy747.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Amy747 »

Its so important to make learning short and fun, especially for younger kids who dont always have the longest attention spans.
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Amy747 wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 00:57 Its so important to make learning short and fun, especially for younger kids who dont always have the longest attention spans.
That's true, and I believe the book succeeds on both fronts. Thanks for the comment!

Return to “Children's Books”