Official Review: Daily Pulse: the rhythm of the Tao

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Official Review: Daily Pulse: the rhythm of the Tao

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Daily Pulse: the rhythm of the Tao" by Dr. Debra Ford Msc.D.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Daily Pulse: The Rhythm of the Tao, Dr. Debra Ford presents a nine-step ritual built on the teachings of the Tao – a philosophy with religious ramifications. The Tao is an ancient and intricate Eastern tradition that loosely translated means path or journey; it involves the concept of chi, a form of vital and essential energy that permeates all living things.

The author skillfully explains how the Tao’s eight trigrams (building blocks of nature) form the core ingredients of the ritual: thunder and lake, mountain and wind, water and fire, earth and heaven have solid (yang) and broken (yin) lines. Each day, one is supposed to meditate on a trigram. The process encompasses an intention, a prayer (with breathing techniques), journaling, and antidote/action steps. There’s an additional, optional step involving stones; for each trigram, there is a gemstone that matches its vibration. For instance, amethyst is the one for wind.

The combination of ancient teachings and practical tips is the magic recipe. The analyses of the trigrams frame the narrative, but there are also actionable suggestions. The straightforward and practical approach is a noteworthy feature. Eastern concepts often get lost in translation. Excessively abstract interpretations usually confound Western readers, who tend to prefer tangible roadmaps. Fortunately, this book keeps our eyes on the stars but both feet on the ground.

I enjoyed the author’s well-structured and clear-cut description of the ritual. As an example, Dr. Ford clearly explains what the light (expanding) and dark (collapsing) traits of each trigram represent. “Dark collapsed wind energy makes you too determined, and you find it hard to see how others are affected by your actions, which can be unkind and abusive.” The colorful illustrations of the trigrams provide additional clarification.

Another positive point is how, to exemplify the method, we get to follow the journey of Brenda, a woman who has had a year of struggle and adversity. Dr. Ford’s thoughts on her counseling sessions with Brenda were particularly inspiring. Brenda’s journal, available in one of the appendices, was a great addition to the book. Reading it, I could easily understand the effectiveness and applicability of the ritual.

Lastly, the book seems professionally edited, and there is nothing I disliked about it. I gladly rate it 4 out of 4 stars. It is a short, fast, and refreshing read. I believe it will appeal to open-minded readers who are interested in Eastern traditions and philosophies. If you feel that your energy levels are low, you may also benefit from reading this book. However, it may hold less appeal to readers who dislike self-help titles.

Daily Pulse: the rhythm of the Tao
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

This sounds more of a deeply-rooted cultural book. One that a reader would read for insight into some Asian cultural practices. Thanks for the exclusive review.
Bet on Me! :idea:
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

This sounds like a great source of information for anyone wishing to learn more about Eastern traditions and philosophies. I'm not the right audience for this book, so I'll have to pass. Great review. Thanks for the recommendation!
MustaHarleen
Currently Reading: Warrior of Shadows: The Final Battle
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mustaharleen.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by MustaHarleen »

I love the rich cultures of the East although the spirituality is a bit confusing. I have read a little of the energy they call Chi and I would love to read this one as well. I also wish to get in touch with the counselling journey of Brenda as well. Thanks for a wonderful review.
mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 »

Kanda_theGreat wrote: 20 Dec 2019, 01:34 This sounds more of a deeply-rooted cultural book. One that a reader would read for insight into some Asian cultural practices. Thanks for the exclusive review.
It is a deeply-rooted cultural book, indeed. Thank you for your comments!
mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 »

Ever_Reading wrote: 20 Dec 2019, 03:13 This sounds like a great source of information for anyone wishing to learn more about Eastern traditions and philosophies. I'm not the right audience for this book, so I'll have to pass. Great review. Thanks for the recommendation!
Thank you for reading and commenting!
mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 »

MustaHarleen wrote: 20 Dec 2019, 03:27 I love the rich cultures of the East although the spirituality is a bit confusing. I have read a little of the energy they call Chi and I would love to read this one as well. I also wish to get in touch with the counselling journey of Brenda as well. Thanks for a wonderful review.
It is confusing. I agree! But this book makes it accessible. Thank you for your comments!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I'd love to learn more about eastern traditions, and this sounds like a great place to start. Thanks for the informative review!
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

I've watched movies about this chi, but i havent really read a novel about it. Your review really made me curious about how practical these teachings are. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 20 Dec 2019, 12:33 I'd love to learn more about eastern traditions, and this sounds like a great place to start. Thanks for the informative review!
Thanks for reading!
mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 »

Julius_ wrote: 21 Dec 2019, 00:10 I've watched movies about this chi, but i havent really read a novel about it. Your review really made me curious about how practical these teachings are. Thanks for the review.
Thank you for commenting!
G254
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by G254 »

Nice for enriching one's insight on Eastern tradition and also generating new perspectives concerning old cultural beliefs
Amy747
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy747.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Amy747 »

This is exactly the type of book im into reading right now. I love how the author has created a 9 step ritual for following the Tao, which can often be vague and confusing.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting non-fiction self-help book on the nine steps following the Tao through meditation and self-reflection. The book is free on Kindle Unlimited and has an inciteful OnlineBookClub review highlighting the best of the book. Congrats @SolePathAnswers on the BOTD.
BB Ombayo
Currently Reading: Do I Need a Will or a Trust
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb-ombayo.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by BB Ombayo »

I am confused already. This chi,and Tao, yin and yan staff sounds like complicated Chinese folk, which is not for me. Sorry

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”