Official Review: The Gratitude Effect

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Official Review: The Gratitude Effect

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Gratitude Effect" by Richard J. Cavaness.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Most people have heard about the benefits of a positive attitude. An attitude that discovers gratitude in all situations is an essential aspect of positivity. Why do people feel the need to read more books about gratitude? Why is it so hard to develop and practice thankfulness? Rich J. Cavaness analyzes these questions in his book, The Gratitude Effect: Shift Your Mindset, Optimize Your Outcomes, and Boost Your Well-being.

Gratitude does not come naturally. It is a mindset that must be taught and learned. This attitude affects our physical, emotional, spiritual, and financial well-being. Rich Cavaness stressed the idea of feeling gratitude for all things, including all creation and even the negative things that come into our life. He reinforced each strategy presented with experiences from his family life. These personal examples help the reader to realize that his proposals can work for everyone. The author has achieved happiness through the practice of maintaining a positive mental attitude. His goal is for every reader to be in love with his or her life.

Each of the fifteen chapters ended with four practical exercises. "Something to Think About" provided the reader with a summary of the highlights of the section. "Key Questions to Consider" motivated the reader to ponder and reflect on these main points. "Practical Applications" offered ways to begin to put into practice what you have learned. "Impact on Me Journal" provided prompts to record your thoughts and reactions to the teaching presented in each chapter.

I liked the author's unique 66-Day Gratitude Challenge. This technique appeared at the end of the book and encouraged readers to put into practice all the lessons taught in the previous chapters. The author prepared an extensive list of categories to incorporate in this gratitude routine. Another aspect of the book that I appreciated was the clear explanation about why we struggle to show gratitude. Chapter Ten presented an analysis of factors that hinder gratitude. The author delved into these obstacles and offered practical ways to overcome and eliminate them.

There is a list of resources at the end of the book. The author's website and the various programs he sponsors motivate readers to contact him for a seminar or to achieve success through his coaching programs.

The only suggestion I have would be to include a bibliography of all the books cited in the text. Readers will want to experience the same motivation that the author received from the many books and articles mentioned throughout the book. A compilation of these works would be an invaluable aid to others.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The author used clear and simple language to present a useful and practical system of exercises aimed at changing your mindset and helping readers to live with optimism and gratitude. The book has very few grammar or punctuation errors. The author spoke of his belief in God as the Creator and how this impacted his understanding of gratitude. I would recommend this book to readers looking for a coherent system of ideas and strategies that will erase past mental patterns that produced a defeatist attitude. I can't think of anyone who wouldn't benefit from this simple and effective strategy to achieve thankfulness and gratitude.

The Gratitude Effect
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
FEislandqueen13
Currently Reading: The 19th Bladesman
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feislandqueen13.html
Latest Review: Doomsday by R. L. Gemmill

Post by FEislandqueen13 »

Gratitude is very important to living a fulfilling life. That's something I've discover for myself - just saying thank you truly energizes your soul. :techie-reference: I like the aspect of the book but i most likely won't read it. ... maybe not the entire thing. It seems to be an engaging read. Thorough review! :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

This book sounds like it teaches a basic principal of being grateful and showing gratitude. The world would certainly be different if we all showed gratitude. I don't think this is a book I would enjoy but thanks for the review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I am a big believer in expressing gratitude to God and others. I love the sound of the 66-day challenge, too. Great review!
LiLeaBrand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by LiLeaBrand »

Wow! This book is right up my alley. A positive mindset and thankful attitude is so important to have, especially in this day and age. I’m super excited to read this book. Thank you for the great review!
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

This book sounds interesting and educational. I particularly like the inclusion of the four exercises at the end of each chapter; it encourages the reader to take action and apply the lessons being taught. Great review. Thanks!
MustaHarleen
Currently Reading: Warrior of Shadows: The Final Battle
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mustaharleen.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by MustaHarleen »

Wow! This is a must read for me. The hardest thing for humans is to 'not focus on negativity.' Consequently, gratitude is an alien word to many. This is an inspiring book and I love that the author has included cases to prove that his methods do work. Thanks for an amazing review and congratulations.
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

"Gratitude does not come naturally. It is a mindset that needs to be taught and learnt". Wow, it sure is a nice book withn insightful thoughts. Great review.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I agree that probably almost everyone could benefit from reading this book. Most of us have a lot that we should be thankful for. Your review makes me want to read it. Thank you for the great review, as always!
Brendan Donaghy
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

I probably won't get around to reading this one, but I certainly enjoyed reading your review of it. I'm grateful, in fact! :)
derialist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derialist.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by derialist »

I enjoyed reading the review it's very informative and I'll be looking to read the book. However, I disagree with some of the ideas the book puts forward particularly the suggestion of being grateful for the negative things that happen in our lives. Not saying it's impossible but it's one of those things that is easier said than done. It's human nature to feel bad about the negative stuff that happens to us, it's in our natural programming and I think that developing a perspective that is contrary to our natural programming would require a lot of willpower which I think defeats the purpose of trying to achieve gratitude in our lives. We should allow ourselves to feel bad about the negative stuff without having to feel the need to change our overall attitude towards it.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

From the sounds of it, this book has more to offer than others like it! I love how it has a "Gratitude Challenge" so that the reader can put their learning to use. Thanks for the wonderful review!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

FEislandqueen13 wrote: 18 Dec 2019, 13:41 Gratitude is very important to living a fulfilling life. That's something I've discover for myself - just saying thank you truly energizes your soul. :techie-reference: I like the aspect of the book but i most likely won't read it. ... maybe not the entire thing. It seems to be an engaging read. Thorough review! :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:
Thanks for commenting. Even if you only read a few chapters, you will be inspired!!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Miller56 wrote: 18 Dec 2019, 14:49 This book sounds like it teaches a basic principal of being grateful and showing gratitude. The world would certainly be different if we all showed gratitude. I don't think this is a book I would enjoy but thanks for the review.
I agree! The world would be a different place with more gratitude. Thanks for commenting.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Cecilia_L wrote: 18 Dec 2019, 16:24 I am a big believer in expressing gratitude to God and others. I love the sound of the 66-day challenge, too. Great review!
66 Days sounded like a strange number, but the author gives his reasoning for the length of the challenge. Hope you get a chance to try it out. You'll be glad (grateful) you did! Thanks for commenting.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”