Official Review: The Tales of Little Lady M

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Official Review: The Tales of Little Lady M

Post by Tomah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Tales of Little Lady M" by Diego Di Mauro.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Diego Di Mauro’s The Tales of Little Lady M welcomes the reader to the magical Kingdom of Oaks Bridge. It’s a land filled with mysteries, magic, and all sorts of interesting races and places. The story begins when Queen Justynella has a daughter, Misha, also called Little Lady M. We follow Misha as she embarks on many different adventures and learns valuable lessons along the way.

The book is divided into eleven chapters, telling four tales in total. Each tale is followed by a short poem that summarizes its lesson for the main character. In fact, though the book is mostly written in prose, all of the dialogue is written in rhymes. This, coupled with the plentiful and vibrant illustrations, makes for an engaging reading experience.

It’s hard to ever get bored with the book’s inventive setting. Curses, talking animals, scheming trolls, witches, and sorcerers are just a few of the things the reader encounters throughout their literary journey. The book does a fantastic job with its world-building while still keeping it accessible. Since there are so many interesting details to explore, the reader is always eager for more.

All of the characters are fun and unique. You have the curious Misha, the attentive Queen Justynella, the intrepid explorer Hugo, the Queen of Elves, Anyabel, and many more. Misha, in particular, is a charismatic protagonist whom young audiences can easily relate to.

The book is generally well-edited. The paragraphs and chapters are short, allowing for easier reading, and I’ve only spotted three instances of a lack of spacing, as well as a minor issue with commas. As mentioned before, there are plenty of illustrations, thirty-one in total. Kids will have a lot to feast their eyes on.

There’s nothing I particularly disliked about the book, though I did find it odd that the two prominent father figures are portrayed as wandering adventurers who rarely see their families. Indeed, we don’t even know Misha’s father’s name! It’s also a bit disappointing that the land of dreams is never explored in detail, though further books in the series could remedy that.

Overall, The Tales of Little Lady M is an excellent children’s book that stimulates the imagination while providing good life lessons. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. The language is simple and straightforward, ideal for kids aged four to ten, though the somewhat considerable length means that younger children will benefit from an adult reading for them. There are no profanities or inappropriate content.

The Tales of Little Lady M
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

This is such an interesting book that I would readily propose to kids of an average age(6-12 years).
Thanks for the review.
Bet on Me! :idea:
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

Thanks for the review. I think this would be a great book for young kids to enjoy.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like Little Lady M is a fabulous character. The story seems well done and perfect for children. Thanks for another good review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Miller56 wrote: 16 Dec 2019, 12:38 Thanks for the review. I think this would be a great book for young kids to enjoy.
kandscreeley wrote: 16 Dec 2019, 20:33 It sounds like Little Lady M is a fabulous character. The story seems well done and perfect for children. Thanks for another good review!
Kanda_theGreat wrote: 16 Dec 2019, 10:25 This is such an interesting book that I would readily propose to kids of an average age(6-12 years).
Thanks for the review.
Thanks for the comments! I did enjoy Little Lady M's character quite a bit.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

What stands for me is the different races in this magical kingdom. Thanks for the interesting review.
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Wyland wrote: 17 Dec 2019, 05:38 What stands for me is the different races in this magical kingdom. Thanks for the interesting review.
Indeed. Elves, dwarves, trolls, there are plenty of fantasy races represented here. Thank for the comment!
Icarus Bd
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Icarus Bd »

Curiosity has its own reason for existence. It sounds like this book is going to be a learning point for kids.. Great work Tomah. Keep it up
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Icarus Bd wrote: 25 Dec 2019, 15:23 Curiosity has its own reason for existence. It sounds like this book is going to be a learning point for kids.. Great work Tomah. Keep it up
Indeed, curiosity should be pursued for its own sake. It's what drove many scientific and technological advancements, after all. Thanks for the comment!
Amy747
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy747.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Amy747 »

I love the idea of a poem that summarises each chapter. What a unique idea.
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Amy747 wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 01:01 I love the idea of a poem that summarises each chapter. What a unique idea.
It's an interesting feature that should grab the attention of young readers. Thanks for the comment!
Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

Amy747 wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 01:01 I love the idea of a poem that summarises each chapter. What a unique idea.
Exactly!
I really like that as well.
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Ogoskino wrote: 08 Mar 2020, 21:01
Exactly!
I really like that as well.
Then you might enjoy the book. Thanks for the comment!

Return to “Children's Books”