Official Review: The Last Man at the Inn

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Official Review: The Last Man at the Inn

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Last Man at the Inn" by R. William Bennett.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Last Man At The Inn: One Man’s Quest to Believe by R. William Bennett takes place in Bethlehem, the city of David. It tells the story of Simon, a merchant who acquired the last room available in town during the time of the Roman census. Simon followed the life of Jesus from his birth to his resurrection. As he learned more about this man who was changing everything, Simon realized his need to confront his confusion, sadness, anger and hurt.

Simon had just secured lodging in Bethlehem when a young couple arrived at the door right behind him. The woman was pregnant. Simon debated giving up his comfortable room but convinced himself that he deserved it. Later that night, he went out for a walk. He came to a cave where shepherds had gathered around a newborn baby. It was the same woman who had been at the door of the inn. People began saying that this baby was a king. As time went by, people started following this teacher and repeating his teachings. Even Simon’s family became followers of this Jesus!

Simon struggled with the things he heard about this new teacher. He watched the members of his family grow in faith. He had many questions about the Holy Ghost. Could all this talk about miracles, healings, and people being brought back to life be true? Could Simon receive this same joy after the way he had treated the child’s parents?

I enjoyed this unique presentation of the well-known birth of Jesus in Bethlehem and appreciated the author’s faithful recounting of biblical facts. This original narrative of the birth of Jesus in Bethlehem would appeal to those who are familiar with and believe what the Bible teaches about Jesus as the Savior of the world. Many readers will be able to empathize with Simon’s spiritual struggle as he asks: Is there truly forgiveness for all my sins? Why don’t I feel joy? Simon’s spiritual journey helps us understand that not all people grow and mature spiritually at the same pace. People who are not believers could also enjoy this story, as it would help them gain a deeper understanding of the believer’s hope and source of faith. Readers who are opposed to any type of embellishment of biblical stories would, most likely, be opposed to this type of narrative.

The story is told from Simon’s perspective. Readers are aware that this is the traditional Christmas narrative, but the unique point of view brings new life to the story. It was interesting to observe this Jewish man questioning the facts and trying to overcome his guilt and doubts. Simon re-examined his own lack of faith while he puzzled over the changes he observed in his family and acquaintances. Numerous secondary characters contributed to Simon’s search for the truth as tension grew between Simon and the family members who had becomes followers of the rabbi.

The only dislike I have is that the author did not include any biblical references. There are several quotations from Isaiah and one relating to the story of Elijah and the prophets of Baal. I would have preferred to have the Biblical references to these stories. These specific references could be inserted as footnotes. This would enable readers to verify and study these additional stories that the author has incorporated into the account.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The author took an old story and made it new. The character development, dialogues, and descriptions of the setting added to the enjoyment of the story. It is a relatively short book of only 197 pages. The text is well edited, as I only found three errors. This is a captivating way to enjoy the Christmas story in a new light.

The Last Man at the Inn
View: on Bookshelves
Ambivani
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ambivani »

I empathize a lot with this book, simon reminds me of my niece, which had similar feelings through her faith. I Rate this book *4 out of 4*
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

The story is told from Simon’s perspective. Readers are aware that this is the traditional Christmas narrative, but the unique point of view brings new life to the story. It was interesting to observe this Jewish man questioning the facts and trying to overcome his guilt and doubts. Simon re-examined his own lack of faith while he puzzled over the changes he observed in his family and acquaintances.
I love the sound of this--thanks for the recommendation and another excellent review!
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I love imaginative takes on well-known stories! Someone must have got that last room! Thanks for an enlightening review.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

It's an interesting premise, but the subject matter doesn't interest me that much. Still, thanks for the review!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Ambivani wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 18:25 I empathize a lot with this book, simon reminds me of my niece, which had similar feelings through her faith. I Rate this book *4 out of 4*
I think many people will be able to empathize with Simon. Thanks for commenting!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Cecilia_L wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 21:48
The story is told from Simon’s perspective. Readers are aware that this is the traditional Christmas narrative, but the unique point of view brings new life to the story. It was interesting to observe this Jewish man questioning the facts and trying to overcome his guilt and doubts. Simon re-examined his own lack of faith while he puzzled over the changes he observed in his family and acquaintances.
I love the sound of this--thanks for the recommendation and another excellent review!
Thanks so much for the encouraging words! This was a wonderful book to read - the perfect book for getting ready for the Christmas season:)
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 11 Dec 2019, 04:20 I love imaginative takes on well-known stories! Someone must have got that last room! Thanks for an enlightening review.
Did you ever think of that before seeing this title? I love being able to see something old through new eyes. This author did a great job of making the reader consider the Christmas story in a new way. I appreciate your comments. Thanks!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Tomah wrote: 11 Dec 2019, 09:53 It's an interesting premise, but the subject matter doesn't interest me that much. Still, thanks for the review!
Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I appreciate your time and efforts! Thanks.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

kdstrack wrote: 12 Dec 2019, 21:50
Thanks so much for the encouraging words! This was a wonderful book to read - the perfect book for getting ready for the Christmas season:)
I just responded to your comment on my review BEFORE reading your response here. When I saw that we wrote the same response word-for-word, I just had to stop back by. :lol2:
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Cecilia_L wrote: 13 Dec 2019, 17:48
kdstrack wrote: 12 Dec 2019, 21:50

I just responded to your comment on my review BEFORE reading your response here. When I saw that we wrote the same response word-for-word, I just had to stop back by. :lol2:
You know what they say about great minds!!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Imagine how boring christmas carols would have been had Simon given the couple his room! I mean, nothing to sing about the manger!

It sounds interesting to follow Simon's journey of faith. Thanks for your thorough review.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love stories like this that are kind of one off. It still tells a Bible story but from a unique perspective. This is going on my list! Thanks for a great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Cotwani wrote: 14 Dec 2019, 17:07 Imagine how boring christmas carols would have been had Simon given the couple his room! I mean, nothing to sing about the manger!

It sounds interesting to follow Simon's journey of faith. Thanks for your thorough review.
Isn't it great how slight change of perspective can make us think of the story in a different way? If Simon had given up his room - you're right - all our Christmas carols would be different!! I appreciate your insightful comment!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

kandscreeley wrote: 14 Dec 2019, 18:46 I love stories like this that are kind of one off. It still tells a Bible story but from a unique perspective. This is going on my list! Thanks for a great review.
This is what I liked about this book. The author was also faithful to the facts but makes you look at the story with new eyes. It makes you hear, "There was no room in the inn" in a whole different way! Hope you enjoy the book. Thanks so much for your encouraging comments!

Return to “Historical Fiction”