Official Review: Only with Blood by Therese Down

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Only with Blood by Therese Down

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Only with Blood" by Therese Down.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Caitlin Spillane has grand plans for her life; she wants to go to university, which is almost unheard of for a woman. Her father, however, has other plans for her. He's working on an arranged marriage. Jack Flynn is the intended, a man more Caitlin's father's age than her own. A hard-working dairy farmer, Jack has his own secrets. Donal Kelly, the son of a nearby farmer, has an accidental encounter with Caitlin. From that point on, he can't get her out of his mind. His father needs him at home, he has no interest in farming life, and his political views might be dangerous. All have different dreams, but not all dreams come true. How will they manage when life brings troubles as it's wont to do?

Only with Blood: A Novel of Ireland by Therese Down is what I would consider literary fiction or historical fiction. There are some romantic elements, but this is not a romance. There are no explicit scenes, but I would still recommend the book to high school age and older.

The book is set in Ireland in the 1940s. It's clear that World War II is ongoing; but, while Ireland struggles to remain neutral, there's almost a civil war happening. Historical events used throughout the book make it more realistic as well as educational. I know more now about Irish history than I did before reading this. Having said that, not being very familiar with this part of the world before going into the book might have been somewhat of a detriment. I was occasionally confused about happenings or political parties. This did not, though, change my enjoyment of the plot. Still, Ms. Down may want to improve on the explanations of these events.

In contrast, the characters need no work. Their realism engaged me from the start. I had to know where Caitlin's academic ambitions would lead. Would Donal escape his familial duty? I was equally rooting for the characters and screaming at them for their selfishness. They were conflicted, as most of us tend to be. It made them relatable and extremely enjoyable.

Being set in Ireland, there were words that were difficult to comprehend. Some were explained contextually but not all. For example, I don't know, still, what Tir-na-nÓg is. A glossary would be helpful. Other than these foreign terms, the vocabulary is on a more advanced level, using words like lugubrious and saturnine. I thought this elevated the story, but not everyone will appreciate it.

Finding no errors, I must state that the book was extremely well-edited. Since the characters speak in dialect, there is incorrect grammar, but this is an intentional device by the author to immerse the reader in the book.

I was thrilled to read Only with Blood: A Novel of Ireland and rate it 4 out of 4 stars. There were only minor hiccups where I would suggest the author make a few changes. None of these were enough to subtract a star, though. Without spoiling anything, it's worth mentioning that the ending was unexpected in a delightful way. I would suggest this story for all who enjoy a little history, a dash of romance, and outstanding characterization. Conversely, it could be a bit hard to understand for those without a good grasp of the English language.

Only with Blood
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

Thanks for the review. I like reading books with good historical context and learning about some of the Irish history would be awesome. I will have to read this one.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

1940s Ireland with an unexpectedly delightful ending?! I do love a rousing bit of historical fiction, and while some of the dialects, political mentions, and Irish terminology might challenge my comprehension, I would also appreciate seeing the inclusion of advanced terminology in the beautiful gloominess of examples like lugubrious and saturnine.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Miller56 wrote: 12 Dec 2019, 16:12 Thanks for the review. I like reading books with good historical context and learning about some of the Irish history would be awesome. I will have to read this one.
I think you'd like this one, then! I hope you find time to enjoy it.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 12 Dec 2019, 19:29 1940s Ireland with an unexpectedly delightful ending?! I do love a rousing bit of historical fiction, and while some of the dialects, political mentions, and Irish terminology might challenge my comprehension, I would also appreciate seeing the inclusion of advanced terminology in the beautiful gloominess of examples like lugubrious and saturnine.
It was quite well done. I appreciated the rich vocabulary and the author's way with words. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

This reads like an interesting book presented as historical fiction. It's sad women were discriminated at and viewed more as objects. But its nice it may seem Caitlin might have recieved an education eventually after all. Thanks for the nice review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Wyland wrote: 13 Dec 2019, 02:13 This reads like an interesting book presented as historical fiction. It's sad women were discriminated at and viewed more as objects. But its nice it may seem Caitlin might have recieved an education eventually after all. Thanks for the nice review.
Yes, women have come a long way since then. It's interesting to see what it was like back than. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Thanks for such a great review. My ancestry is Scotch-Irish so I am always interested in anything relating to the Irish. Based on your review this sounds like a book I would be interested in so I may just have to check this one out! Thanks for the recommendation! :lire4:
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I am intrigued by the title and how it fits in with the history of Ireland. Caitlin's dilemma with her two suitors adds an interesting twist to the story. The advanced vocabulary would be enriching, but the untranslated words are irritating! I enjoyed your insights and honest analysis. Great review! Thanks.
PhyllisAnne
Currently Reading: Into the Wild
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phyllisanne.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by PhyllisAnne »

When you mentioned there being a dash of romance, I almost wrote this book off as I am not the biggest fan of romance. However, as you continued to talk about the various twists, questions to be answered, sophisticated language and most of all the Irish history and culture, I became significantly more curious. I personally love full immersion books that include authentic language. I find that it adds another layer to the cultural understanding for the audience. I almost feel like I want to read this book just for that aspect. Thank you for the review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

B Creech wrote: 13 Dec 2019, 21:47 Thanks for such a great review. My ancestry is Scotch-Irish so I am always interested in anything relating to the Irish. Based on your review this sounds like a book I would be interested in so I may just have to check this one out! Thanks for the recommendation! :lire4:
It does sound like this would be perfect for you! You could even learn a little more about Irish history. Hope you find time to read it!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

kdstrack wrote: 13 Dec 2019, 22:03 I am intrigued by the title and how it fits in with the history of Ireland. Caitlin's dilemma with her two suitors adds an interesting twist to the story. The advanced vocabulary would be enriching, but the untranslated words are irritating! I enjoyed your insights and honest analysis. Great review! Thanks.
You summed it up just about perfectly. I always appreciate your insightful comments. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
MustaHarleen
Currently Reading: Warrior of Shadows: The Final Battle
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mustaharleen.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by MustaHarleen »

I would love to literally sample the Irish culture. This book sounds like a good starting point, thanks to your awesome review. Congratulations.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

MustaHarleen wrote: 16 Dec 2019, 04:55 I would love to literally sample the Irish culture. This book sounds like a good starting point, thanks to your awesome review. Congratulations.
I do enjoy the Irish culture. This is a fun book, a good sampling of the culture. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Historical Fiction”