Official Review: The Last Seer King by S.J. Hartland

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Official Review: The Last Seer King by S.J. Hartland

Post by Kendra M Parker »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Last Seer King" by S.J. Hartland.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

S. J. Hartland’s The Last Seer King continues the story that begins in The 19th Bladesman. In the aftermath of the battle that ends the previous novel, Val holds the keys to restoring his foster-son Kaell. Val follows the path to attempt restoring Kaell, but before he can reunite with Kaell, Val finds himself kidnapped and whisked away to an icy prison.

Kaell should be dead, but it seems that fate is not yet through with him. Even though he lives, Kaell finds himself in the body of the woman who betrayed him, put there by the closest thing he has to a father. Feeling betrayed by everyone who ever mattered to him, Kaell searches for Val, hoping to find a way to escape his current situation.

As Val and Kaell struggle to find each other, they must contend with sorcery, kidnapping, friends who become enemies, enemies that might just be friends, and a hidden puppet master that seems to be tugging at everyone’s strings.

Having read her first novel, I was looking forward to reading this sequel. The 19th Bladesman was full of action, intrigue, and a well-told story. As much as I loved her first book, I still found myself surprised by how much Hartland’s style improved with The Last Seer King. So often the second book in a series can be something of a letdown, but Hartland escapes that stereotype. On every level, Hartland succeeds brilliantly with creating an even better novel than her first.

Hartland’s dedication to her themes provides a hugely entertaining and enjoyable read. Each of her main characters in this book wrestled with the idea that secrets give others power over us. Hartland demonstrates her writing skill by allowing each character to grow organically and process the thematic elements in a unique manner. Even though her main characters discover some element of the same theme, the thematic elements never felt heavy-handed. Instead, it added to the strength of the story by creating a sense of clarity and united purpose in the novel.

Well-developed characters are another signature of Hartland’s writing, and she demonstrates her skill here once again. As a reader, I clearly understood each character’s motivations, even if Hartland did not reveal all of a character’s secrets. While she might hint at the important elements of a character’s motivations, those drivers tend to remain hidden until the moment in the novel where they become most important. Each character felt real because of the way they tried to avoid thinking about the difficult parts of their history until pressed by the situation. This style lends a greater sense of humanity to Hartland’s characters and allows readers to connect to the story at a deeper level.

Because of its well-told story and intriguing characters, I give The Last Seer King 4 out of 4 stars. Impeccable editing further cements this rating in my mind. Every element worked together to create a story that was practically perfect. Readers sensitive to sexual content, especially with overtones of rape or homosexuality should avoid this one. Fans of epic fantasy, particularly with a medieval flavor, will enjoy this novel. George R. R. Martin may need to watch out for this new author. Game of Thrones may have some competition on its hands!

The Last Seer King
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sandra K Pearson
Currently Reading: The Pygmy Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandra-k-pearson.html
Latest Review: The Writer's Roadmap by Leigh Shulman

Post by Sandra K Pearson »

This sounds like a series I could get into, can't wait to read it. Nice review.
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

Jorge Luis Borjes
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

It's great that the second book was so enjoyable. I totally agree - I always get so nervous to read the second just in case it fails in comparison. But this author seems to get it spot on.
Great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

With a perfect rating and comparison to Game of Thrones, this can only be a very intriguing story. Thanks for the outstanding review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I was intrigued by The 19th Bladesman, and you have motivated me to read this second book in the series. I appreciated your high praise for the author's writing style and her ability to keep your interest in this second book of the series. Thanks for the recommendation.
MustaHarleen
Currently Reading: Warrior of Shadows: The Final Battle
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mustaharleen.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by MustaHarleen »

The Last Seer King has an intriguing plot. It sounds like a story full of betrayal and magic. I am compelled to seek it out to read. Thanks for an insightful review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”