Official Review: Crystal Mesh

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Crystal Mesh

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Crystal Mesh" by Alicia Mundy with Jennifer Banmiller.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Would it surprise you to know that only two percent of medical devices that are implanted in the human body are actually tested on people? What do you know about the medical device approval process? Have you seen the lawsuits against makers of transvaginal mesh? If any of these questions intrigue you, then you'll want to read Crystal Mesh by Alicia Mundy with Jennifer Banmiller.

This book details the whole mesh debacle. The authors discuss everything about mesh from what exactly it is to the different brands and makers to the issues in implanting, and subsequently explanting, it. Furthermore, there are stories from women whose lives have been ruined by it. At the end of the book, you might very well question the medical community and the products that go into your body.

I appreciated the research that went into this book. There are statistics, actual documents from various sources, interviews from experts in the fields, and a timeline of events. Also, a list of sources is included to legitimize the book and allow for further study. This wasn't thrown together haphazardly but took years of careful planning.

So many facts evoked feelings of anger that I can't begin to share them. The most eye-opening were the stories from the affected women. For example, Katrina was bounced around from doctor to doctor as she struggled to find the source of her problems (including pain for both Katrina and her husband during sexual relations).

Think I'm being melodramatic? Consider this quote from an expert - a doctor who specializes in removing mesh from women. "I have seen women with their vaginas essentially mutilated. So scarred and disformed. . .as to be left with a nonfunctional vagina or a dysfunctional bladder and urethra."

Honestly, there's not much in the way of negatives in this book. There were only a few small errors, meaning the book was carefully edited. Not everyone will appreciate this book, however. Those who have absolute faith in the medical community and believe they can do no wrong - and they are out there - may find this simply unbelievable. There are too many facts to ignore; it's clear this isn't being fabricated or blown out of proportion. These are real issues affecting real women that need real resolutions.

Crystal Mesh deserves no less than 4 out of 4 stars. It needs to be read by every woman, especially those in America. More so, doctors that trust the FDA's approval of medical devices cannot afford to skip this. Lawmakers who get campaign funding from many of these companies must pick this up to see what this money is costing women the world over. Reform is needed, and it's needed now.

Crystal Mesh
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Wow! This sounds like a scary but eye-opening read, and I like the fact that it is so well-researched. Thanks for the recommendation.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

Isn't it amazing that these issues don't come to public attention as they should? I'm sure if these women had a clue that these problems were a big possibility, they would have made a different decision. I'm glad this book has been written to bring much-needed attention to the problem. Thank you for a great review!
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

Wow, "eye-opening" sounds like the perfect description of this book. I have seen late-night commercials from lawyers about this issue, but I never knew any of the details. It's scary to think that the trust we place in our doctors may be misplaced. I hope this book provides help to many people out there. Great review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Cecilia_L wrote: 07 Dec 2019, 09:04 Wow! This sounds like a scary but eye-opening read, and I like the fact that it is so well-researched. Thanks for the recommendation.
It's definitely a bit disconcerting. It's something that needs to be read, though. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Prisallen wrote: 07 Dec 2019, 11:23 Isn't it amazing that these issues don't come to public attention as they should? I'm sure if these women had a clue that these problems were a big possibility, they would have made a different decision. I'm glad this book has been written to bring much-needed attention to the problem. Thank you for a great review!
It really is sad that this doesn't get the attention it should. This should be shouted from the mountain top. Thanks for your comment.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

unamilagra wrote: 07 Dec 2019, 16:49 Wow, "eye-opening" sounds like the perfect description of this book. I have seen late-night commercials from lawyers about this issue, but I never knew any of the details. It's scary to think that the trust we place in our doctors may be misplaced. I hope this book provides help to many people out there. Great review!
It is scary. It's scary that some doctors don't know what goes on with these devices either. Thanks for stopping by!
—Neil Gaiman
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

Wow, I had no idea this was even a thing. It's definitely the sort of topic that should be brought to the public's attention and discussed more often. Thanks for the review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This is a topic that is necessary to read and learn about - but it still makes you angry! I really feel for these women who have suffered through this debacle. I applaud the author for writing about this and putting the truth out there! Thanks for your compassionate words!
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This sounds horrific! I am 100% in the dark about this stuff, so I think I'll have to give this a read.
Thanks for the great review and recommendation :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

It really scares me how haphazardly devices and medical solutions for "female" issues have been developed and pushed onto the market. From mammography to birth control to the proliferation of defensive C-sections in America...it amazes me how over half of the population have been shafted when it comes to medical innovation and safety.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Tomah wrote: 08 Dec 2019, 21:25 Wow, I had no idea this was even a thing. It's definitely the sort of topic that should be brought to the public's attention and discussed more often. Thanks for the review!
Yes! It's why the book was written. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

kdstrack wrote: 08 Dec 2019, 22:03 This is a topic that is necessary to read and learn about - but it still makes you angry! I really feel for these women who have suffered through this debacle. I applaud the author for writing about this and putting the truth out there! Thanks for your compassionate words!
I agree. It's maddening and frustrating that women have gone through this. I hope this helps others going through something similar.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Bianka Walter wrote: 09 Dec 2019, 03:41 This sounds horrific! I am 100% in the dark about this stuff, so I think I'll have to give this a read.
Thanks for the great review and recommendation :)
It's eye-opening. Very informative. But so frustrating to see that companies are only after the money. I can't say I hope you enjoy it, but I hope you find it enlightening.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

CommMayo wrote: 09 Dec 2019, 15:05 It really scares me how haphazardly devices and medical solutions for "female" issues have been developed and pushed onto the market. From mammography to birth control to the proliferation of defensive C-sections in America...it amazes me how over half of the population have been shafted when it comes to medical innovation and safety.
I agree. If the companies will do this with one device, just imagine what's out there that's harmful. It's frightening!
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”