Review by Alena_Surya -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alena_Surya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alena-surya.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Review by Alena_Surya -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by Alena_Surya »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks is a children’s book written by Len Foley. The story is that Sigfried feels that something stinks about the book so we accompany him as he wonders about what the reason for the smell could be.

This book is not for the faint-hearted. The bright-colored and attractive cover will not prepare you for this book. In fact, the cover gives no warning of the book’s inside content. It makes us more aware of our sense of smell by mentioning many odors from mildly bad to absolutely horrifying! The worst were pee, mucus, poop, skunk feet and some smells Sigfried couldn't even tell us. His various colored socks somehow manage to smell like wide range of things that will surprise you like it surprises me every time I read it. The numerous odors might be entertaining for some but I don’t think majority of people would feel that way.

The author made an effort to make everything rhyme and the title shows alliteration. Similes were used to describe the unusual stink coming from the socks. So kids can learn figures of speech at a young age and have fun doing it. Unfortunately, the book also teaches kids it’s okay to clean your socks sitting in the toilet and keep a book in their room which stinks of so many different things. Sigfried’s room is also shown to be messy. The author might have intended to be a random, fun book but the extent to which he has mentioned countless stinks just goes too far.

The illustrations are the only good thing in this book. They were quite perfect and even the random characters who popped in from time to time were good. The colors are guaranteed to catch any kid’s eyes. The irony, however, is that the better the illustrations, the more the reader won’t want to read the book.

I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars. The one star is because the illustration was commendable. However, other than that, I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone. I don’t get the point of the book. Actually, there is one point. If you know a bunch of things might be stinking something up, clean only one of them. So many disgusting things were mentioned but the only thing the main character wanted to clean was his socks. He cleaned them with smelly soap, went inside the toilet and asked the readers not to flush. Did I disgust you too much? If I did, stay away from this book. Like I said, it’s not for the faint hearted!

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Alena_Surya's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Your review was very neat and relevant. I was written coherently. I liked it. Keep up the good work.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
Alena_Surya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alena-surya.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Alena_Surya »

Sunnyroyish wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 10:16 Your review was very neat and relevant. I was written coherently. I liked it. Keep up the good work.
Thank you :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”