Official Review: Tuburu by Gesiere Brisibe-Dorgu

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Official Review: Tuburu by Gesiere Brisibe-Dorgu

Post by Tomah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tuburu" by Gesiere Brisibe-Dorgu.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gesiere Brisibe-Dorgu’s Tuburu is a biographical book that tells the story of a legendary figure among the Ijaw people in Nigeria. Tuburu lived in the Niger Delta during the nineteenth century, leaving behind a legacy of heroism and patriotism. His physical and spiritual prowess has always been used for the sake of his community, Agbere.

The book is thoroughly researched and covers not only Tuburu’s life but also the history and characteristics of the Ijaw people, the Tarakiri clan to which he belonged, and the Agbere community. Even if you aren’t familiar with Nigeria, this book offers plenty of contextualization to prevent you from getting lost. It even includes a glossary with some of the ethnic terms used throughout.

While the first half of the book acts as a general introduction, the second half focuses on Tuburu’s life. We follow his early years as a vigorous and inquisitive youth, his spiritual experience at Ereama, his first assignment and accomplishment as a warrior, his various achievements later in life, and, finally, his death in 1895.

Tuburu reads like a standard biography most of the time. The exceptions are the very beginning, which feels more like a novel, and a few chapters in the end, which describe the events from the point of view of Tuburu himself. One minor complaint I have is that I wish more portions of the book were written in novel style since that would’ve made for an engaging reading experience. For example, I would’ve liked to see Tuburu in action during his fights. More pictures (there are only three in total) would also add to the book.

Sadly, there are many instances of missing or misspelled words and punctuation issues. Some sentences also end with question marks for no apparent reason: “Tuburu’s kinsmen were furious with him for fighting and even killing such people, as happened on one occasion?” Also, while the glossary is helpful, there are still some terms that remain undefined. I don’t know what Bebeare-owei and Orukare-owei are, for example.

Tuburu is a short but engaging biography that will appeal to readers interested in African culture and history. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars, deducting one point for the editing issues. There are no profanities whatsoever, but due to the mentions of fights and killing, the book is unsuitable for young audiences. I don’t recommend it if you have no interest in Nigeria or if you dislike biographies.

Tuburu
View: on Bookshelves
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

I know nothing about Nigeria, but I'm always keen to learn about new places and cultures. This sounds like a great way to learn about it. Thanks for the review!
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

I like that the book is well-researched. I've listened to podcasts on African history in the past, but these were mostly about the north and north-western regions of the content and I found them very interesting. I've haven't read or heard much about Nigerian history but I would love to.
Thanks for an honest review!
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

La Cabra wrote: 30 Nov 2019, 05:39 I like that the book is well-researched. I've listened to podcasts on African history in the past, but these were mostly about the north and north-western regions of the content and I found them very interesting. I've haven't read or heard much about Nigerian history but I would love to.
Thanks for an honest review!
tristenb wrote: 29 Nov 2019, 15:47 I know nothing about Nigeria, but I'm always keen to learn about new places and cultures. This sounds like a great way to learn about it. Thanks for the review!
If you're interested in Africa, you'll likely enjoy this book. Thanks for the comments!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I feel that I would get a bit bored with this book. If more of it was written in novel style as you suggest, I probably would be more interested. I do want to learn more about Nigeria. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

In order for non fiction to catch my attention, I need an active writing style. While this seems to be interesting, I don't think it would keep my attention. Great review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Letora wrote: 02 Dec 2019, 06:48 In order for non fiction to catch my attention, I need an active writing style. While this seems to be interesting, I don't think it would keep my attention. Great review!
kandscreeley wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 18:48 I feel that I would get a bit bored with this book. If more of it was written in novel style as you suggest, I probably would be more interested. I do want to learn more about Nigeria. Thanks.
It's understandable, non-fiction can feel somewhat dry. Thanks for the comments!
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I'm not sure what to say because on the one hand, it sounds fascinating. On the other, it really sounds too dry, so I don't know if I would necessarily read it as is.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

Sounds like an interesting figure of the Ijaw people. It's always good to read about great people and their accomplishments. Nice review.
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Wyland wrote: 04 Dec 2019, 07:48 Sounds like an interesting figure of the Ijaw people. It's always good to read about great people and their accomplishments. Nice review.
Nisha Ward wrote: 04 Dec 2019, 05:15 I'm not sure what to say because on the one hand, it sounds fascinating. On the other, it really sounds too dry, so I don't know if I would necessarily read it as is.
Yes, I wouldn't recommend the book if you're not a fan of biographies. Thanks for the comments!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”