Official Review: Spirituality for REAL by WakunDaMa

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Official Review: Spirituality for REAL by WakunDaMa

Post by EvaDar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Spirituality for REAL" by WakunDaMa.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Matters of spirit can be complex and tricky to express with written or spoken language. Many a writer have attempted to provide a map of spirituality, with varying success. Author WakunDaMa’s Spirituality for Real: Beyond the Incense and Meditation makes an impressive effort to demystify the nature of spirituality and bring it into practical focus.

At age 14, the author started working with visualization meditations to improve his memory. He discovered the same practice seemed to help him recover from the flu much faster. After supporting his wife through a long, undiagnosed illness, he explored energy healing more deeply. WakunDaMa has come to believe illness and mortality are invitations to expand our experience of spirituality.

The author describes energy, in the form of chi or life-force, as being mapped in the human body through the chakra system: seven energy centers that connect body and soul. Many practices can support this energy and release blockages that cause illness. If you’ve had acupuncture, you’ve experienced an energetic modality for clearing energy pathways. WakunDaMa trademarked a yoga form that includes meditations and movement practices designed to facilitate the flow and balance of life-force energy. The book includes links to videos that clearly demonstrate these practices.

WakunDaMa’s artful interpretation of the relationship between body, mind, spirit, energy, soul, and religion was satisfying. Spirituality is not just an aspect of human experience—it is our human experience. It permeates all—the sacred and the mundane. “If you want to understand spirituality in tangible action,” says WakunDaMa, “don’t look to a temple, church, mosque or synagogue. Instead, look to everyday courageous acts in human life.” This is not meant to discount religion. Spirit is seen as the basis and purpose for all existence, and religion is an important manifestation of spirituality.

I thoroughly enjoyed Spirituality for Real. The author’s humanity is evident in the first sentence and permeates the narrative. His tone is loving, wise, and humble. He addresses the personal and the transcendent nature of human existence, acknowledging we are all on the path of life together. With a user-friendly tone, the author explains complex concepts using qualifiers such as “maybe” or “my intuition says,” rather than making declarations about concepts that are very abstract.

I practiced a bit of the meditation highlighted in the book. “Crying Meditation” is a progression of sounding and breathing, intended to increase mental function and energetic alignment. The author presents it as being useful to beginners because the mind is occupied with sounding and not as likely to drift.

I’m certainly not an expert, but having taught meditation, I do wonder if beginners will be attracted to this form. Humans are generally resistant to both meditation and crying. Both are uncomfortable. While there is a significant benefit in working with discomfort, I think it may be too advanced for beginners. I wonder if one of the author’s other meditations might be better for non-meditators.

Technically, the book is very solid. The well-organized chapters and sub-sections help make sense of the complex subject matter. The writing is very good, and the book appears to be professionally edited. I found only a couple of very minor errors.

Spirituality for Real: Beyond the Incense and Meditation is the first in a two-book series that speaks compassionately to believers and skeptics. I am happy to award the book 4 out of 4 stars for its accessibility, humility, and technical strength. I recommend the book to anyone who would enjoy a balanced, practical discussion of how body, mind, spirit, and energy are interconnected. Whether or not you practice a religion or spiritual path, you will likely find this author’s empathy and humanistic approach refreshing.

Spirituality for REAL
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've been seeing a growing demand in books that talk about spirituality without religion at their center. Not my thing, personally, but this definitely is a topic that's been growing in popularity as of late. Thanks for your insightful review!
Infinite I
Favorite Book: How to Define Yourself
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-infinite-i.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Infinite I »

I do meditation sometimes. So i would like to read this book if it can help me progress further. Thanks for the review
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

That reminder to seek spirituality in everyday courageous actions is timely. I also wouldn't be sure about a meditation that involves making sounds, much as I would like to improve my mental function. I enjoyed your thorough and well-written review.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Maríe Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Maríe Wamakima »

I have never gotten the gist of meditation. Either I am agitated or I get distracted easily. When I am able to calmly meditate, I might take a look at the novel. Great Review!
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I like the concept of being spiritual without needing to be religious. I'm also one of those people who gets too distracted to succeed at meditation easily.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A self-help book that teaches spirituality via meditation sounds original. Using meditations to improve memory is interesting. Connecting body, mind, and spirit isn't am original concept, but the method used sounds refreshing. That it was well-organized and well-edited is a plus. Not for me, but I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I know I would benefit from meditation, but I have always been unable to do it correctly. I think this would be a great book for me because the author writes in a way that is easy to understand and he has years of experience. Thanks for the thorough review!
tarafarah7
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Your review of today's BOTD was so well written. Bravo! I love the kind and humble tone the author has in this first-part series; the open, non- judgemental attitude pulls readers in making them feel comfortable right from the start. While this sounds inspirational and beneficial to all who pick it up, it is not one that interests me right now, but I've downloaded my copy for the future. Thank you so much! :-)
supraja_prasad
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Burn Zones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supraja-prasad.html
Latest Review: Doppelgänger by Marc J. Seifer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by supraja_prasad »

I have tried quite a few different types and forms of meditation and so far, nothing has clicked. I just downloaded the book with the hope that maybe this will. Thanks for the review!
Books may well be the only true magic.
~Alice Hoffman
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a non-fiction educative book on exploring spirituality through mind, body, and spirit qnd implimenting the Seven Chakras system. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has a perfectly written OnlineBookClub review. Congrats @wakundama on the BOTD selection.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I'm not very spiritual, but I do enjoy yoga and it's health benefits everyday. I might this to my workout. Great review.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

This is a book about spirituality. In it, the author shares his opinions and experiences. It also talks about meditation.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

Your review is well justified and explained. Your judgement is fair, while you have also included the basic summary of the book. Great job!
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

A short book about the mind, body, and spirit connection. A practical guide for believers and skeptics alike, this book sounds like it shares the author’s perspective in a simple and open-minded way. Thanks for the helpful review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”