Official Review: English Grammar by Victor N. Okada

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: English Grammar by Victor N. Okada

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "English Grammar" by Victor N. Okada.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It has been quite a while since I studied grammar in school. I don't know about you, but I remember mapping out sentences and learning the different parts of speech. Though I don't write much professionally, I thought a grammar refresher would be in order so as to make my reviews better. Thus, I picked up English Grammar: The Essential Facts by Victor Okada.

Mr. Okada is a Professor of English, Emeritus, at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona; as such, he knows the subject of grammar well, and it shows in this book. The reader is taught everything from verb tenses to absolute phrases to punctuation. He even covers common pitfalls like whether to use lie or lay and if who or whom is more appropriate.

At the end of each chapter, there are exercises for the reader to complete that solidify the content learned. In the e-book version, you can click on the numbers before each example in the exercise to discover the correct answer. It was convenient that I didn't have to flip pages to see if I was correct. All the important terms are in bold, making the reader pay extra attention. A glossary, located at the end of the book, then defines these terms further.

What appealed most to me was the chapter on sentence style. The author discusses ways to vary sentence structure, including starting or ending with dependent clauses as well as embedding phrases in the middle of the sentence. As a writer, even if it is only reviews, this was extremely helpful.

Included in the book are examples of various professional writings meant to drive home the author's points. In proving that accomplished writers alter the length of their sentences, Mr. Okada uses a passage from author Joan Didion. These examples helped greatly in my understanding of the various concepts.

Being that this is a book about grammar, one would hope it was professionally edited. Mr. Okada does not disappoint. I found only one minor formatting error, specifically a phrase not italicized when similar phrases were. There were no true grammatical issues, for which I applaud the author.

This book would be helpful to a number of groups, all of which are detailed by the author in the preface. It's meant for those that need a grammar review. It would also be helpful to any who speak English as a second language (however, they would need to be more advanced speakers to grasp the difficult concepts discussed herein). Lastly, it would work well for teachers or students. For those audiences, I see no issues and give English Grammar: The Essential Facts a perfect 4 out of 4 stars.

English Grammar
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I wouldn't mind reading that grammar book as well...Yes, I too could do with some help. Thanks for the recommendation!
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

I know I could use this! Awesome review, I will have to pick this up!
Spencer Mack
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Magnify3 wrote: 27 Nov 2019, 09:34 I wouldn't mind reading that grammar book as well...Yes, I too could do with some help. Thanks for the recommendation!
It was enlightening and educational. I can't say I'll do everything perfectly from now on, but every bit helps.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

spencermack wrote: 27 Nov 2019, 09:44 I know I could use this! Awesome review, I will have to pick this up!
I hope you are able to read it! Enjoy.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Sounds like an informative resource. I'm curious if the author addresses any of the stylistic practices that are sometimes points of contention here at OBC when it comes to editing and reviewing, such as comma and hyphen usage, etc.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

This sounds like a book I would find useful. I particularly like the part about varying sentence length. It is part of my grammar checker report, but I never think about how to actually vary the length of my sentences. Thank you for your review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Cecilia_L wrote: 27 Nov 2019, 13:31 Sounds like an informative resource. I'm curious if the author addresses any of the stylistic practices that are sometimes points of contention here at OBC when it comes to editing and reviewing, such as comma and hyphen usage, etc.
He addresses some of it. I wouldn't say it's a comprehensive punctuation guide, though. He does advise that you put a comma after every opening phrase no matter how short, which is something I've started.
—Neil Gaiman
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I never learned basic grammar in school. In college? Sure, but the textbook we used left me confused. I should give this one a try. I love writing, but grammar takes me a long time to get right. Great review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

MsH2k wrote: 27 Nov 2019, 18:53 This sounds like a book I would find useful. I particularly like the part about varying sentence length. It is part of my grammar checker report, but I never think about how to actually vary the length of my sentences. Thank you for your review!
Yes, the demonstrations on the varying sentence length would blow your mind. It really makes a difference. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Letora wrote: 27 Nov 2019, 19:41 I never learned basic grammar in school. In college? Sure, but the textbook we used left me confused. I should give this one a try. I love writing, but grammar takes me a long time to get right. Great review!
He does make it understandable. You might try this! Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

This a book I'll definitely want to read so as to improve on my grammar. Thanks for the wonderful review.
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

Glad to see you liked the book. The quick links feature in the e-book to reveal answers is a small but very neat feature I can really appreciate as I really do struggle with flipping back and forth in a book, haha. What you said about the section on sentences reminds me that I really do need to read up on the subject, my sentences can be quite long and messy (as you can see!). Thanks for the recommendation!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Wyland wrote: 28 Nov 2019, 06:09 This a book I'll definitely want to read so as to improve on my grammar. Thanks for the wonderful review.
I hope you find it as educational as I did. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

La Cabra wrote: 28 Nov 2019, 07:52 Glad to see you liked the book. The quick links feature in the e-book to reveal answers is a small but very neat feature I can really appreciate as I really do struggle with flipping back and forth in a book, haha. What you said about the section on sentences reminds me that I really do need to read up on the subject, my sentences can be quite long and messy (as you can see!). Thanks for the recommendation!
So many authors wouldn't think about making the answers easily accessible. It's the small touches that make the book great. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”