Official Review: Undetected by Jeffrey Marshall

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Official Review: Undetected by Jeffrey Marshall

Post by Adedayo+23 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Undetected" by Jeffrey Marshall.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dean Perry’s new bride, Suzy, with her penetrating blue eyes and dazzling smile, is the epitome of sophistication. Dean knows next to nothing about her past other than her being recently widowed. Like a force of nature, she swept into his life, and he is utterly besotted with her. However, Dean’s journalist son, Alex, is understandably troubled by how little is known about Suzy. There is something decidedly unsettling about her.

After stumbling on a potential clue about Suzy’s former life, Alex feels compelled to find out more. Without informing his father, Alex hires a private investigator to do some digging into Suzy Perry. What he discovers raises even more questions. Why did she change her name? What happened to her first husband? How many times has she been married? And who on earth is Bettina Tallman?

Undetected is an engrossing crime mystery novel by Jeffrey Marshall. The book’s opening pages quickly grabs your attention, and the mystery ramps up as the story unfolds. Once I started reading, I was reluctant to put it down. The plot was well-structured and skillfully narrated, and the dialogue was authentic. The book was well-paced and more than adequately suspenseful. The author expertly unwraps the central mysteries in such a way as to leave the reader guessing until the story’s thrilling conclusion.

The compelling character development was one of the book’s most significant highlights. Suzy Perry was as hard to figure out as she was hard to hate. Even when her motives became clear, a part of me was still rooting for her. I can’t expatiate on her role without giving away spoilers. I applaud the author’s ability to keep the characters true to form from start to finish, especially Suzy. This could not have been an easy feat, given how complex they all were. I admired Alex’s relationship with his wife, Lisa. I also found the subtle juxtaposition of their solid and dependable partnership next to Suzy’s suspicious relationship with the men in her life to be quite clever.

I can’t quite say there was anything I disliked about the book, other than that I wasn’t expecting it to end the way it did. Nevertheless, the ending stayed true to the book’s spellbinding narrative, and I could not help but smile as I finished reading it.

Undetected, without a doubt, deserves the maximum rating. However, several editing issues require that I deduct a star. Consequently, I award this book 3 out of 4 stars. I will certainly be on the lookout for more books by this gifted author, as I enjoyed this page-turner of a book immensely. This is the ideal book if you’re in the mood for a solid suspense novel to while away the weekend.

Undetected
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I love the character development in stores, and complex characters like Suzy captivate me. I will have to add this to my list. Great review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I can't wait to read this one! I wonder what secret Suzy is hiding? Thanks for the wonderful review!
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

Sounds brilliant. Shame the book wasn't edited well enough, but, if I'm being completely honest, the grammar errors don't bother me too much and I'm unlikely to even notice them if I'm so engrossed in the story haha. I shall check this out. Thanks for a brilliant review!
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

Spellbinding?!?! I'm in, great review!
Spencer Mack
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

This book is definitely going on my list. I can’t wait to find out more about Suzy - or whatever her name is! :shhh: Thanks for a great review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Juliet+1
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

I love mysteries that conceal the truth to the very end of the book and keep you guessing all the way through. This one sounds like a winner. Thanks for a great review. :D
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

This sounds like an exciting mystery that leaves you wanting a different ending. I think I will add it to my list to read. Thanks for the review.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Your description of the plot had me intrigued, but it was the comment about the ending that hooked me! I agree, this looks like an author to follow! Thanks for the enthralling review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”