Official Review: God For A Day by Robin R Rabii

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Official Review: God For A Day by Robin R Rabii

Post by Tomah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "God For A Day" by Robin R Rabii.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What would you do if you had the powers of God for twenty-four hours? How would you fix this messy world of ours in such a short period? Will you be careful and subdued or brazen and scandalous? These are some of the questions you might ask yourself as you read Robin R. Rabii’s God For A Day: a provocative yet light-hearted examination of the world through divine lenses.

This is a short read that centers on the author’s plans for our planet if God gave him His powers for a day. Unlike the original God, Rabii would be much bolder in his approach, favoring swift retribution and dramatic irony. He lists all the ways in which he would make people more aware of the plight of others, bring evildoers to justice, and even solve the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

The author was raised in a religious order, but from a young age, he saw flaws in the world around him. As he grew older and witnessed how the men who abused others were revered by the community, he started questioning things. This process only grew in intensity with time; he became angry and depressed whenever hearing about the latest terrorist attack, massacre, or other instances of cruelty. Wanting to use that anger productively, he began writing.

Irreverence and dark humor are the main ingredients of this quirky book. You’ll have a good chuckle or two between remarks like “Grab his divine scrotum” and “My holy belly would be filled with the chutzpah to do some serious sh*t!” Of course, devotedly religious readers might not appreciate this kind of humor, though the author’s goal isn’t to attack religion.

It’s hard to point out what I dislike about the book, especially since it’s so short. That said, the length is precisely my least favorite aspect. I would’ve loved to hear about the author’s thoughts on a variety of issues and get to enjoy more of his twisted creativity. While the book doesn’t feel incomplete, one inevitably yearns for more after reading it.

God For A Day is a fun little book that will appeal to fans of irony and dark humor. It’s also exceptionally edited; I only found one capitalization issue and a few subjective problems with apostrophes. For these reasons, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. As I said before, devotedly religious readers might want to skip this one, unless they don’t mind some light-hearted sacrilege. The book mentions mature topics like rape and female genital mutilation, so it’s unsuitable for young readers. There’s only one instance of profanity in the book.

God For A Day
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

This story sounds like an exceptional read but due to the themes, I don't think I'll be picking this up. Thanks for the great review though!
Spencer Mack
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

spencermack wrote: 27 Nov 2019, 09:45 This story sounds like an exceptional read but due to the themes, I don't think I'll be picking this up. Thanks for the great review though!
That's understandable. Thanks for the comment!
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

A little darkness with a touch of humor and a goodly dose of irreverence sounds like something right up my alley! This is going straight onto my (ever-expanding *sigh*) to be read shelf! Thanks for the review; I enjoyed reading it!
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I like the humor and the fan infused in this book. I like the fact that the lead character will try to end the Israeli-Arab conflict. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Sudeeprawat++
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sudeeprawat++ »

Well structured, he tries his best to put today's issue in a humorous in it, but still seems the more efficient theme is missing. After all it's good.
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Wyland wrote: 28 Nov 2019, 05:29 I like the humor and the fan infused in this book. I like the fact that the lead character will try to end the Israeli-Arab conflict. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Sudeeprawat++ wrote: 28 Nov 2019, 11:25 Well structured, he tries his best to put today's issue in a humorous in it, but still seems the more efficient theme is missing. After all it's good.
Kelyn wrote: 27 Nov 2019, 12:10 A little darkness with a touch of humor and a goodly dose of irreverence sounds like something right up my alley! This is going straight onto my (ever-expanding *sigh*) to be read shelf! Thanks for the review; I enjoyed reading it!
Thanks for the comments! You could say the irreverence in this book is goodly and godly!
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

The book has some strong themes that seriously religious people will definitely classify as blasphemous. I on the other hand am willing to read anything so this for me sounds interesting and i will be giving it a go.
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Falconcrest wrote: 30 Nov 2019, 05:27 The book has some strong themes that seriously religious people will definitely classify as blasphemous. I on the other hand am willing to read anything so this for me sounds interesting and i will be giving it a go.
Thanks for the comment! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author touches on a theme that many people fantasize about. Instead of imagining that we are superheroes, he goes right to the top! I agree with your observation that his writing will offend many. Thanks for the great review!
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

kdstrack wrote: 03 Dec 2019, 22:11 The author touches on a theme that many people fantasize about. Instead of imagining that we are superheroes, he goes right to the top! I agree with your observation that his writing will offend many. Thanks for the great review!
One might as well aim for the top, right? Yes, I can see how the book might offend some people, though that's not the intent. Thanks for the comment!
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

Thanks for the review. What would people chose to do if they were God for the day? I wonder if I would want to help with the small things around me that take their tole or if I would want to try to solve a major global issue. This book sounds like it has an interesting, amusing take on what the world needs.
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Miller56 wrote: 06 Dec 2019, 16:18 Thanks for the review. What would people chose to do if they were God for the day? I wonder if I would want to help with the small things around me that take their tole or if I would want to try to solve a major global issue. This book sounds like it has an interesting, amusing take on what the world needs.
Indeed, that's a very interesting question that could lead to a wide variety of outcomes. Thanks for the comment!
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

The story sounds interesting, but I'm not interested in the subject.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

This does not sound like a book for me. While I enjoy religious books, this one seems to have a but too much huberus for me. Yes, bad things happen in the world, but it's not up to us to understand or question His plan. We certainly shouldn't think we could do it better.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”